• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Doping the Mechs?

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Ok, I don't remember the stage-I think it was Stage 19 or 20 and there was a wheel change. What I saw caused me to think. I saw the mechanic with the sticky wrap ace bandage type around his arm where blood would normally be drawn. I was curious to know if the mechanic had recently visited the Red Cross to donate or what? Curious also if perhaps the teams use the mechanics as "guinea pigs" with the doping products? It seems like most of the mechs are cycling enthusiasts also (hence the job) and most likely are in decent riding condition. Thoughts?

Rockets160 said:
Ok, I don't remember the stage-I think it was Stage 19 or 20 and there was a wheel change. What I saw caused me to think. I saw the mechanic with the sticky wrap ace bandage type around his arm where blood would normally be drawn. I was curious to know if the mechanic had recently visited the Red Cross to donate or what? Curious also if perhaps the teams use the mechanics as "guinea pigs" with the doping products? It seems like most of the mechs are cycling enthusiasts also (hence the job) and most likely are in decent riding condition. Thoughts?

Donor --> Acceptor

Dave.

Rockets160 said:

It helps the mechs increase their wc/kg (wheel changes per kilogram), plus gives them more power and speed for the pushoff to get their rider rolling again after the swap is finished. Remember, it's all about the marginal gains...

Well, they aren't on the road though, so doping them would be expensive and not really productive because everyone responds differently to doping.

The life of a mechanic is not easy. The hours are very long, the work isn't the safest, though far less risky than racing.

IMHO, I think many mechanics would fail WADA tests for stimulants before/after the races. During the race? Lots of sitting in a car and just waiting. Not sleeping, waiting.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
It was Will Voet who also tested the stuff on himself to ensure the cyclists would be ok!

He obviously gave some to Kelly's team mechanic.

TRENDING THREADS