• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Drafting in Time Trials

What distance would a motor bike need to be in front of a cyclist to make NO difference?

Bearing in mind the speeds they were going at yesterday in the vuelta TT, and the headwind

(OK, I couldn't help noticing that at certain points Valverde had "outriders" and Roche didn't. The commentators didn't remark on it, so maybe it has no effect?)

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
No intention to change the initial idea of this thread, but I sometimes ask myself if it would help projecting a hologram rider in front of a rider, through glasses or something. Like a rabbit. We saw a lot of very weak tt-ers who, after being caught by their 2/3 minutes guy after 30 kms, manage to stay with them for 20 kms.

Here's the link for the stage:
http://www.rtve.es/alacarta/videos/...-2013-11-etapa-tarazona-tarazona-cri/2011852/

Most of the time the motorbikes were far from the riders:
YT50W.jpg

McLovin said:
No intention to change the initial idea of this thread, but I sometimes ask myself if it would help projecting a hologram rider in front of a rider, through glasses or something. Like a rabbit. We saw a lot of very weak tt-ers who, after being caught by their 2/3 minutes guy after 30 kms, manage to stay with them for 20 kms.

Big psychological effect - you can simply push harder when someone slightly faster than yourself is in front of you. Not sure a hologram would work though.

murali said:
isn't there a rule somewhere regarding distance between the bike and the rider?

there are rules for the gap between rider and rider. I'm sure the camera bikes are told to keep a certain distance but it would be pretty hard to enforce.

I wonder if and at what distance the motorbike being there is a disadvantage by causing air turbulence?

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
i have heard of complaints in this forum that a certain rider was aided by bike rider in TTs, esp the longer ones. I have always wondered whether such a thing actually exists.

the only place where i can think of a cyclist catching a bike rider is in descents.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
From data from Ironman competitiors. 7m behind another cyclists yields a saving of 15-30 watts, at about 40kph. So behind a motorbike at higher speeds...I don't know, but i'm certain motorbikes influence races at times.

TRENDING THREADS