• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Dream Tour GC Team of current riders.

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

TMP402 said:
2 Gc riders:
Froome
Pinot

2 Climbers:
Landa
Zakarin

2 All rounders:
Thomas
T Martin

2 Classics Riders:
Cancellara
Oss

1 Free Choice:
Swift/Trentin

Don't know which is more a pure climber, Zakarin or Pinot. And I can't decide between Swift and Trentin.

Trentin if you want to try and nab a stage, Swift if you want a workhorse for your GC leader

Sensible 'Dream Team':
Contador
Scarponi
Ion Izagirre
Brambilla
Amador
Felline
Kiry
Küng
Stannard

Fairly good mix, with Alberto as out-and-out leader, Michele, Izagirre and Amador in the mountains; Kiry as both flat and mountains; Küng as pure flat along with Stannard; and Felline and Brambilla for hills, and a free role with Brambilla in breaks and Felline in sprints. Felline also has a decent TT so can help on the flat and Brambilla is a beast when he is working for people.

Dream 'Dream Team':
Contador
Nibali
Sagan
Dumoulin
Cancellara
Trentin
Scarponi
LLS
Bardet

It'd be fun to see Contador, Nibali and Sagan together.

Oliwright said:
My Team
Froome
Valverde
Landa
Scarponi
Thomas
Dumoulin
Sagan
Cancelara
T Martin

Thats my team explained, what would your's be?
Already quite hard to find anything better. Problem might be that Landa has the potential to outclimb everyone else (maybe even Froome) and I think he has the bigger chance to win a gt than Valverde. That's a problem because if Valverde is the 2nd leader and a protected rider and Landa isn't you might not be able to use the full potential of Landani. Generally I think that two leaders are often not the best idea, as seen in the tour last year with Quintana and Bala. You should rather have one clear leader and a 2nd rider who is neither a leader nor a real domestique who even has to work on the flat but the leader also doesnt have to watch this guy when he attacks. This has a few advantages. If it turns out that this rider is stronger than the leader they can swap their positions, this rider can be used to put pressure on the other teams and if the leader is clearly in front of the 2nd rider in gc, but isolated on a stage the 2nd rider can still work for him.

Therefore I would give Landa the "2nd leader" spot, throw Valverde out of the team and take another strong climber, probably a pure climber like Nieve.
Besides that this team would be incredible. Cancellara, Martin, Dumoulin, Sagan and Thomas would be a deadly combination on crosswind stages, but especially Dumoulin and Thomas can also climb very strong, and Martin, Cancellara and Sagan are also anything but bad climbers. Maybe I would even take out one of those riders and instead use another climber or maybe Kiry instead of Cancellara and Sagan since 2 cobbles rider are probably already enough, and Kiry is a better climber than them. Moreover I'm not 100% sure if there aren't maybe any better climbing domestiques than Scarponi, but tbh right now nobody comes to my mind.

Re:

BigMac said:
Leader: Thibaut Pinot.

Slaves: Mikel Nieve; Marcel Wyss; Rafael Valls; Andrey Amador; Peter Kennaugh; Bob Jungels; Warren Barguil; Pierre Latour.

Indestructible.
Why do so many people like Pinot? He finished 3rd at the tour in the weakest ever field and since then has disappointed. Yes he won a TT or 2, but not enough to be this talked up.

Re: Re:

Oliwright said:
BigMac said:

Slaves: Mikel Nieve; Marcel Wyss; Rafael Valls; Andrey Amador; Peter Kennaugh; Bob Jungels; Warren Barguil; Pierre Latour.

Indestructible.
Why do so many people like Pinot? He finished 3rd at the tour in the weakest ever field and since then has disappointed. Yes he won a TT or 2, but not enough to be this talked up.
Mainly due to his 2016-season so far, it has been very good, but he has yet to show it in the Tour obviously. He won the queen stages in Romandie and Suisse in 2015, but faltered, but he is a year older

Oliwright said:
BigMac said:

Indestructible.
I also think he is a bit overrated, but you are playing him down a bit too. He won the queen stages of both the tour de romandie and the tour de suisse last year, he won on alp d huez and he won the criterium international. Plus he already won a tdf stage two years before 2014.

Oliwright said:
BigMac said:

Indestructible.

You're giving it too much thought.

It's just that, from those with a fair chance, he is the only I like. Or do you believe I couldn't have come up with a better list of domestiques as well? ;)

Froome
Landa

Porte
Scarponi

Thomas
Dumoulin

Sagan
Rowe

Jungels

A team that will be very strong on most terrain, especially going uphill. Landa for a free role in case Froome crashes. Porte and Scarponi on their day are superb in the mountains whilst Thomas, Dumoulin and Jungles are good enough engines to control the race.

Sagan can do his own thing winning the Green jersey, whilst Rowe, Jungels, Dumoulin and Thomas are all strong enough on the flat to keep Froome safe.

Gigs_98 said:
Oliwright said:
BigMac said:

Indestructible.
I also think he is a bit overrated, but you are playing him down a bit too. He won the queen stages of both the tour de romandie and the tour de suisse last year, he won on alp d huez and he won the criterium international. Plus he already won a tdf stage two years before 2014.
Wells spoken my friends. Except for the overated part Gigs_98. Obviously Oliwright doesn't like him :rolleyes: . Your loss Oli :D . He's a good guy, a great rider, I hope he surprises you in July.

Leader : Tibopino
Maverick: Balaphilippe
Train in the mountains: Bardet, Vuillermoz, Reichenbach (the non-French: I'm an Equal Opportunity Employer), Geniez
Rouleurs: Coppel, Chavanel
Sprinter: Nacer!!!

I like Demare better, but I need to keep the forum mods busy :D .

Plenty of good lists here, but I'll go off topic and outside the original mandate to say that my dream would be that there really aren't very good teams backing the top contenders so that there are more fireworks. Just not enough attacking when the race leader has 4 strong guys with him all the way up a MTF.

My superteam, aiming at winning everything, so there will have to be a lot of sacrified personal ambitions:

Froome GC
Landa (mountain superhelper)
Valverde (helper in mountains+winning a few suited stages-leadout for Sagan in stages for him)
Sagan (leadout for Kittel in sprints and winning other stages himself + allround helper)
Kittel winning all easy sprints
Cancellara (allround helper +tts)
T. Martin (allround helper +tts)
T. Dumoulin (allround helper +tts)
G. Thomas (allround helper)

If it needs to be categorised

GC
Froome+Dumoulin
Climbers
Landa+Valverde
Classics:
Cancellara+Sagan
Allrounders:
Thomas-T. Martin
Free:
Kittel

Quintana: One of the top or the top GC rider right now. I'd take him over AC because he's a little younger.
Chaves: Great budding GC rider. He'd keep the team in high spirits.
Superman Lopez: Great climber. Still getting better.
Dayer Quintana: He'll continue to get better. He can climb pretty well when he's on his A game.
Rigoberto Uran: A decent all rounder. On my team he'd never get sick and he'd be even better.
Carlos Betancur: My trainers would rediscover his form of old.
Sergio Henao: He'd win every LBL, FW, type stage.
Julian Arredondo: He'd make a good dom for the early parts of mountain stages
Fernando Gaviria: He'd win every sprint stage.

Aug 6, 2015
Visit site
Re:

Jspear said:
Quintana: One of the top or the top GC rider right now. I'd take him over AC because he's a little younger.
Chaves: Great budding GC rider. He'd keep the team in high spirits.
Superman Lopez: Great climber. Still getting better.
Dayer Quintana: He'll continue to get better. He can climb pretty well when he's on his A game.
Rigoberto Uran: A decent all rounder. On my team he'd never get sick and he'd be even better.
Carlos Betancur: My trainers would rediscover his form of old.
Sergio Henao: He'd win every LBL, FW, type stage.
Julian Arredondo: He'd make a good dom for the early parts of mountain stages
Fernando Gaviria: He'd win every sprint stage.
I never thought that you are a ryo 2... only colombians? Huh

Based on current level, not taking age into account:

Leader: Contador
Dom deluxe/stage hunter: Valverde
Climber dom: Scarponi
Climber dom: Poels
Climber dom: Brambilla
Allround/TT: Cancellara
Allround/TT: Dumoulin
Capitane de Route: Bennati
Allround/Sprinter: Sagan (doesn't need a lead-out guy)

Leaders:
Contador
Kruijswijk
Climbers:
Gesink
Porte
All-round:
Dumoulin
Thomas
Classic/flat:
Cancellara
T. Martin
Extra
Kiryienka

All of the TT/flat powerhouses can be used in the mountains as well. Didn't pick Sagan because I wanted a focussed GC team.

TRENDING THREADS