• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Dura Ace 7900 with Sram Red Crank?

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
Hey guys, I've just began cycling and have bought a Dura Ace 7900 Group without the crank set. The final piece I am buying is the crank set and I was wondering if I should get the Sram Red Crank set. I like the Dura ace 7900 crank set but it seems way to expensive and once I wear the chain ring, I might as well buy another crank set since the chain rings are about $400. Has anyone seen people with Dura ace 7900 and a SRAM red crank set? Is it not cool to mix Shimano with SRAM? Please, please let me know. By the way the SRAM Red Crank set will cost me $230.00.

Dec 14, 2009
Visit site
Personally I think it looks funny when people run mixed matched groups. However I get your point. Have you looked into Easton, Zipp, or even Rotor? All three of them have replaceable rings.

I run a complete Red group though, and I love it. There is nothing wrong with the red crank.

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
Thank you

Thank you for your reply. Its seems a lot of people have read my post but have not bothered in expressing their opinion. I guess it would look funny mixing those two. I was concidering the the Easton EC90 Crankset and I guess I'll even concider the Dura Ace 7900. Thanks again. If anyone has other opinions of having seem people mix Dura Ace witha Sram Red crank, please let me know.

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
Honestly, I think the inconsistency looks funny, but if it performs well and works for you, run it! When the ride starts, nobody is concerned with what crank the guy next to them is pedaling. A guy I ride with runs a FSA crank (not sure which) with Campy components, helluva nice bike he has.

Personally, I'm a shimano guy, so I'd spend the money and get the Dura-Ace. I have shimano on all my bikes.

May 13, 2009
cycling.davenoisy.com
Heya - for what it's worth, i'm riding Campy Chorus (10sp) with a Red crank..but only because Campy doesn't do a 165mm crank...and i can't stand FSA cranks. ;)

Super-happy with it, i say give it a go. It's not THAT noticeable.

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
I have tried neither, but from what I've read online, it's my impretion that the crankset is (one of) the highlight(s) of the DA and that the stiffness of the Red chainrings isn't impressive (considering the general standard, from time to time I notice pros mounting the TT chainring for increased stiffness, but unless you're a crazy strong sprinter, this shouldn't be of concern).

Regarding wear: Changing your chain every 1500-2000 km you could be running the same chainrings for 30-40.000 km

And also: the spacing between the DA chainrings is optimized for the DA F.D.

The one thing, that in my opinion is against the DA is if you choose a compact you'll only have the 34/50 configuration possible, unless you match with non-DA chainrings. (But then again if you can out-spin 50-11... ;-) ).

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
Thanks

Awesome advice guys. I am going to get the Dura Ace 7900 or the Easton EC90 crankset. Preferably the Dura Ace 7900 crankset. Thank you all.

liled11 said:
Hey guys, I've just began cycling and have bought a Dura Ace 7900 Group without the crank set. The final piece I am buying is the crank set and I was wondering if I should get the Sram Red Crank set. I like the Dura ace 7900 crank set but it seems way to expensive and once I wear the chain ring, I might as well buy another crank set since the chain rings are about $400. Has anyone seen people with Dura ace 7900 and a SRAM red crank set? Is it not cool to mix Shimano with SRAM? Please, please let me know. By the way the SRAM Red Crank set will cost me $230.00.

It'll work but if you want better bearings and chainrings, get a Campagnolo crank. Like a Chorus one....10s still plentiful, but an 11s will work fine as well.

TRENDING THREADS