• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Dwars door Vlaanderen "live"

Quickstep domination. Where has Silence Lotto been this year? I thought with Gilbert, Hoste, and Van Avermaet they would do some big things this year but so far they're the only major team without a win. I guess the 2 biggies are still left and a win in one would completely turn their Northern classics season around but they've been a big disappointment so far. They haven't even been in the mix very much.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
I gotta agree...

with the Quick Step domination. Wow...4 riders in the top 9! Congrats to van Impe on a hard fought win against Rambo!! If this is any indication, it looks like Quick Step are ready for the biggies to come.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
jaylew said:
Quickstep domination. Where has Silence Lotto been this year? I thought with Gilbert, Hoste, and Van Avermaet they would do some big things this year but so far they're the only major team without a win. I guess the 2 biggies are still left and a win in one would completely turn their Northern classics season around but they've been a big disappointment so far. They haven't even been in the mix very much.

Haussler looked good again today even though he got triple teamed by QS.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Good point about Hausler...for me he and Eckhout were the strongest...but against QSI there is little one can do...unless they are superman. How long can Hausler hold this form?

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
mr. tibbs said:
How did the finale play out?

Eck and van Impe leading Haussler, Boonen, and Devolder by around 15sec with about 25km to go. That was pretty much how it ended, seeing that Boonen and Devo just sat on HH's wheel the whole time. Van Impe takes Eck in the sprint and Boonen over HH with a cooked Devo finishing in 5th aways back. Big crash in the following bunch sprint.

mr. tibbs said:
How did the finale play out?

Eeckhout and Van Impe escaped from the lead group a good way out from the finish. Haussler had tried a couple of times but QS was having none of it.

Haussler went after the two but Boonen and Devolder got on his wheel and just sat there as they had a teammate up front. For about the last 8 miles it was the two up front with a 10-25 second lead on Haussler, Boonen and Devolder. Of course, neither QS rider helped Haussler, so it was 2 vs. 1 and he couldn't pull the front duo back.

Up front, the lead got down to 10 secs with about 1.5k to go and Van Impe forced Eeckhout to lead it in else a very fresh Boonen would be joining them. That of course, made it easy for Van Impe to go around him in the sprint.

Eventually Haussler dropped Devolder on a hill and pulled Boonen to the finish where he promptly zoomed past Haussler.

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
The most spectacular race i've seen this year with once again an astonishing Hausler who outclassed Boonen and made Quickstep almost desperate.

I saw the riders in real life after 100km and half of them already looked like zombies. Terrible weather.

Haussler was a monster, today. Killed off Devolder.

Eeckout took the free ride off the 3 Q Steppers, who had their hands full with the German. He really didn't contest the sprint and seemed happy with second.
Major peloton "chute", that.
Nice Belgian weekend ahead, all on the same link, I think.

Other "televised" events:
Cunego takes the Coppi e Bartali stage that mimics this year's (and 2003 Simoni's pink) Giro stage.
Valverde returns to winning ways amidst the snows of Central Spain.

Wow. Great performance by Haussler.

Since Cavendish has been such a hot topic on here lately, I wonder if the forum thinks he could have done what Haussler did today (namely animate the race--by himself--and shell no less than Stijn Devolder).

Seems to me that the Manxman has a fast finish but Haussler is shaping up to be the real deal when it comes to classics. If he and Boonen would have been the front of the race...who knows?

Hope he shows up to ride in Paris Roubaix & Flanders, cuz I like this guy more and more.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Agree there Mr. Tibbs. Hausler is turning into quite the beast. How long can he hold this form I wonder. He is definitely a different type of rider than Cavendish. Not better, just different. (I don't want to start any fights here) He seems more in the mold of a Boonen style rider with a much better than average sprint with the power and ability to hammer on the cobbled climbs. I really like him more as this season is going as well. Cervelo is really turning into a nice big surprise for me this season as I also am a big fan of The God of Thunder!!

Mar 12, 2009
Visit site
QS steamrolled this one under adverse condiditons. They had 5 freakin riders in the top 9.

Haussler continues to amaze this season. Cervelo has clearly done blondie a world of good. Amazing race, and thankfully coverage on the net made my day.

Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
Haussler has been fantastic this season, desperately unlucky in Het Volk and M-SR, I think with doubts ove Ballan and Cancellara's fitness he is the best bet of stopping Disco Tom from pulling off the Flanders/Roubaix double, that said it'll be very difficult QS look really strong. Devolder and Chavenel are leaders for the Classics in any other team,at QS they are plan B and C. Haussler's problem is going to be keeping enough teammates with him so he doesn't get isolated like today.
As for Cavendish doing the same thing? Not a chance, he's a pure sprinter.

Mar 12, 2009
Visit site
Quality field for the race, QS must have penciled this race in as a must win!, and on Haussler what people's thoughts on what he plans for the season. Seems to be in a rich vain of form for the classics - how long does he stay up, and is he looking to come back maybe after the GT's and aim for world champs?

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
cyclelicious said:
Haussler continues to amaze this season. Cervelo has clearly done blondie a world of good. Amazing race, and thankfully coverage on the net made my day.
Yes that team CTT is working well, but he is also coming of age
25 is where a lot of riders seem to make the kick in their career, 4-5 years as a pro, couple of sucessess early on (stage at the Vuelta as a rookie), building from there, last year was a little blip, I can't remember him winning anything, but that shows the good ones, they come back, the ordinary fade away
NO 2009 Worlds for him KG386, he is out from international reps so he can race for Aus, besides, the course may be a little difficult
Can't wait for the 2010 Worlds with the Australian team to included Davis and Haussler, the course has a couple of sharp hills, but not too bad for those guys

TRENDING THREADS