• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Dylan Casey

Oct 25, 2010
Visit site
Oh Dylan, Dylan, Dylan... Dylan. What poor choices we sometimes make.

Consider this to be a "post-it note" post of sorts. If you wanna close down this thread, fine, go ahead. But we'll be getting back to Mr Casey. We can all count on that.

Dylan.jpg

http://bikezilla.wordpress.com/2010/07/16/lance-armstrong-hes-earned-more-than-bad-press/

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site

jimmypop

BANNED
Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Race Radio said:
It appears that someone at Google may have been doing some results management....I wonder if a Product Manager like Dylan Casey could do that?

It was interesting to see that for the entire week that the SI story was one of the top stories in sports it was never once made it into Google New's top stories. For general news or, even more bizarre, sports news.

That would be very poor behavior by an employee of the publicly-traded Google, particularly given the scrutiny Google is receiving regarding search results.

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
jimmypop said:
That would be very poor behavior by an employee of the publicly-traded Google, particularly given the scrutiny Google is receiving regarding search results.

I agree, I am not sure that is what BB is referring to. I can't imaging Dylan doing it as the risk would be too high.

Oct 25, 2010
Visit site
Race Radio said:
I agree, I am not sure that is what BB is referring to. I can't imaging Dylan doing it as the risk would be too high.

I'm not sure what I'm referring to either. But you can draw your own conclusions from the data presented.

In the room, we have a close associate of Lance's that works at Google. We have some missing google-directed traffic, we have a PO'd blogger, we have a HUGE sports story that was MIA from GoogleNews for a week. And we have a guy who desperately wants negative press to go away.

But the room is dark.

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
BotanyBay said:
I'm not sure what I'm referring to either. But you can draw your own conclusions from the data presented.

In the room, we have a close associate of Lance's that works at Google. We have some missing google-directed traffic, we have a PO'd blogger, we have a HUGE sports story that was MIA from GoogleNews for a week. And we have a guy who desperately wants negative press to go away.

But the room is dark.

You might really be on to something there. Someone should look into this.

jimmypop

BANNED
Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Just go to Google, type in "Lance Armstrong", click "news", and look at the results. Because I claim to know a bit about how those results are formed, I'll also claim that they appear a bit managed, given the traffic and links we've seen over the past 14 days.

Oct 25, 2010
Visit site
jimmypop said:
Just go to Google, type in "Lance Armstrong", click "news", and look at the results. Because I claim to know a bit about how those results are formed, I'll also claim that they appear a bit managed, given the traffic and links we've seen over the past 14 days.

Do they? I must have missed it ;-)

May 14, 2010
Visit site
jimmypop said:

I wouldn't be at all surprised to hear that Google is managing search results, despite their many protestations to the contrary. I've noticed distinct signs of management in the past.

For instance, when the Abu Ghraib scandal (American soldiers torturing, raping, and killing Iraqi prisoners - and photographing it) broke a few years ago and the pictures (some of them) were released to the press, an image search turn up those pictures on any search engine other than Google. Google took 6-8 months to show the images, and even then only showed the most well known ones.

There are many other, less political examples as well, but that's the one that stands out in my mind. If there is money or political capital to be made, or some other advantage to Google, I believe they will be all about manipulation.

As stated, though, the room is dark and we don't know what all the factors are in their decision to manipulate these results. I hope this comes to the attention of some E.U. regulators.

EDIT: People who trust Google implicitly (most of the smug mugs around these parts in the tech biz, confidently carrying their Android devices), are naive and plainly uninformed.

TRENDING THREADS