• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

DZ what a ride

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
It was a pleasure watching Dave on the front of the peleton. Km after km he pulled the bunch, and never once moved his upper body 1cm until it was time to peel off. incredible riding. Incredible core strength

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site
hrotha said:
Well spotted, but maybe it's not about when you joined, maybe there's July particles in the air and they affect all of us.

This is quite true. However, I do have a theory, and I will present it as a well thought out and written thread at some stage in the near future.

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site
Why... David Zabriskie of course!

28ibuhg.jpg

Jul 27, 2009
Visit site
hrotha said:
Well spotted, but maybe it's not about when you joined, maybe there's July particles in the air and they affect all of us.

What was wrong with the comment made by the OP/TS? Are you taking a shot because you don't feel as though the subject deserved its own thread?

I don't understand the jab. There were no outlandish claims, nor anything derogatory towards AC/AS/LA/RG or any other rider. I don't think the observation was meant to be earth-shattering -- just a simple note of what DZ can do when focused.

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Well one of the good things about July :p is we get to see a lot of the stage instead of the final couple of hours.

In many races the first hour (or 2) are often the best action as there are constant attacks as the break try to form and other teams try and catch/control who is or is not let go.
Then we get to see guys like DZ doing their stuff for an hour or 2 dragging the whole race along - it's great stuff.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Always nice when the work of a domestique is recognized.

Have to agree with maserati about the coverage, it always starts here with the breakaway off the front, and the peloton riding tempo. Then I have t convince my friends why cycling is a great sport. The make up of the breakaway is the interesting part more so later in the race. I remember last years tour, when many of the prerace favourites had lost too much time and were making last ditch efforts to get it back. Stage...15-16 somewhere around there. The start sounded like some really brutal racing, and I could only follow on text updates.

Good points. The extended coverage in July usually gives us a look at the peloton that we rarely get any other time of the year (at least here in Aus that's the case). It's always great to see a textbook pedaling style from pros in full flight. Guys like DZ, Canc, Grabsch and Eisel who spend hours at a time on the front nearly always have beautiful pedaling and position on the bike when hammering the flats, even for pros.

Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
Usually the cracks about July postings are coming from those who want us to know how many thousands of postings they personally have made, and how no one else is really entitled to have an opinion, ask a question, etc. Might be time for some of them to move out of the basement apartment at Mom's and get a non-virtual life. Not all-- but some.

Kender said:
It was a pleasure watching Dave on the front of the peleton. Km after km he pulled the bunch, and never once moved his upper body 1cm until it was time to peel off. incredible riding. Incredible core strength

Yeah. It was pretty neat. The Danish commentators also talked alot about his style, basically saying that if you wanted to copy someone's style for being as aerodynamic as possible this was the guy to look at.
At one point Rolf stated that he [DZ] was sitting so flat he all but licked his front wheel...

For The World said:
Why... David Zabriskie of course!

28ibuhg.jpg

Ok. I'd heard about the mustache. But this is just too silly-looking! :p

Aug 16, 2009
Visit site
Nice to see Garmin having him back doing what he does best. Now we need to see him in a breakaway down the road.

Honestly I think Vaughters was trying place a square peg in a round hole in trying to make him a GC guy. Unless it's a race like the Tour of Missouri where a good TT can win the overall, he's just not cut out for that line of work.

Jul 28, 2009
Visit site
Alpe d'Huez said:
Serious bummer. I was really interested to hear how he felt after the Tour regarding his very strict, nearly raw/vegan diet. That and I just like the guy. Who doesn't?

:(
Yea, I guess that's what happens when you eat birdfood: you end up with hollow bones, good for climbing but not so good when you fall off.

TRENDING THREADS