• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

E3 Harelbeke, 28 March, 2014 (1.WT)

Page 20 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Aug 3, 2009
Visit site
Don't be too hard on the Steppers, tactics were correct, vandenberghe to work with the others to keep the gap, and then once sure attack multiple times. Suppose that Terpstra was still feeling wednesday in his legs. Sagan handled it very well. Thomas should have attacked at least once, but the way he sprinted he seemed a bit cooked in the end.

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
hrotha said:
I don't care how cooked Terpstra was (and how cooked he was, really, taking 2nd place in the sprint). He should have tried, if only to make Vandenbergh's chances a wee bit better.

How cooked he is does come into it. He barely kept the wheel at one point coming into the last km when Sagan and Thomas marked Vandenbergh's attack.

He didn't have it and I bet any less penetrative attack on his part wouldn't have enhanced Vandenbergh's chances.

postmanhat said:
Or a bit less meat in his head

Great talent, but his tactics still need a bit/lot* of work

*delete as appropriate

I don't think there was much he could do. For one thing, he looked cooked in the final 10kms and if you do attack then there are 2 OPQS riders to chase you down anyway. That's his first podium in any World Tour classic in his career and he looked quite strong on the cobbles so I'm sure he's pretty happy.

JRanton said:
I don't think there was much he could do. For one thing, he looked cooked in the final 10kms and if you do attack then there are 2 OPQS riders to chase you down anyway. That's his first podium in any World Tour classic in his career and he looked quite strong on the cobbles so I'm sure he's pretty happy.
Sagan was the strongest in the final group, yet he twice bridged for him.

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
hrotha said:
Terpstra was cooked, blah blah blah, oh look at him beat Thomas to get 2nd.

When you have numerical superiority with slower riders, you have them attack successively. That's cycling 101.

To attack more alternatively between the two, the other needs to have the legs. Sprinting in the last km doesn't mean he could have done that more consistently with Vandenbergh to shake Sagan up. That's one only, you're talking successively. If anything he was trying to keep his best condition coming into the backend of the race for this very reason. That's why it looked like Vandenbergh got the go ahead to attack futher out which he tried on a few occasions with Terpstra at the back of the 4.

He did a big solo on Wednesday and for some reason today in a WT race he has never won, he somehow didn't have the heart to be more aggressive which he did a couple of days earlier. I doubt this very much.

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
Seems to me Senechal is the next big superstar on cobbles. At age of 20 to do this kind of results on cobbled classics which require great deal of experience is insane imo.

19. Omloop Het Nieuwsblad Elite
17. Dwars door Vlaanderen
14. E3 Harelbeke

Apr 12, 2009
Visit site
Netserk said:
It turns out his thumb is probably not broken. Boonen did claim he had tears of pain the whole race though. The whole team, except for Vandenbergh, Keisse and Wijnants, was held back by that crash where he hurt his thumb, just before La Houpe. They only got back just before the Taaienberg (after almost one hour of chasing).

1)This makes the team performance even more impressive
2)As for Boonen, not sure what to think. Wednesday it was very normal for him to be bad, but today he should have been there.

14 Florian Senechal (Fra) Cofidis, Solutions Credits
15 John Degenkolb (Ger) Team Giant-Shimano
16 Laurens De Vreese (Bel) Wanty - Groupe Gobert

Impressed that Senechal stayed with the group after having been in the long break. Even more impressed that De Vreese, also from the group, rejoined after his detour via the greenery.