• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

E3 in the world tour

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
The Hitch said:
Why not lets just move all 3 grand tours to Belgium too.

Is having half the season in your country not enough?

No because the other half is utter crap. It's like Belgium is the only country where it is normal to attack 50km from the finish line.

Jan 18, 2010
Visit site
The Hitch said:
UCI want to make E3 world Tour.

But thats a race in Europe, with a history, a good palmares, and isn't throwing money at Pat Mcquaid.

What gives?

Maybe he gets a years supply of strong export Belgian lager/bier instead of a brown envelope stuffed with cash.

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
People say E3 is good racing. But when it's WT, teams like Verandas Willems Accent, An-Post Kelly, Net-app and so on do not get their shot. Instead, another race where Euskaltel is obliged to send a squad. And Lampre, Movistar, AG2R: teams with no real interest in this kind of racing.

I don't think good racing alone is the best argument. What's wrong with good racing in the .HC level? Good racing and good calender place and a unique race is what is required I think.

Omloop btw is the start for the real cobble fans. But the French, Spanish and Italians have their own season openers. And the stage racers really start at Paris-Nice. For me it's the start too, but not for the whole world though. I think this race has a better position to promote it too WT status.

Strade Bianche has the characteristics, but maybe not the organisation at this point? Maybe it can be all fixed when it's WT. But I think a few years HC and monitor if the big names are picking it up every year, before secure it's WT-status ;)

Btw: do you people think Plouay is the worst WT one-day field at this point? (it's in the same period as HC Tre valli in italia)

E3 is a highly enjoyable race and it'll make a good addition to the calendar, slightly puzzled as to why Mr McQuaid wants to include because it doesn't fit his usual profile, but hey, I'm not complaining.

I've never really been clear why Omloop isn't WT.

Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
Matthijs said:
People say E3 is good racing. But when it's WT, teams like Verandas Willems Accent, An-Post Kelly, Net-app and so on do not get their shot. Instead, another race where Euskaltel is obliged to send a squad. And Lampre, Movistar, AG2R: teams with no real interest in this kind of racing

They'll get a wildcard along with Topsport Vlaanderen probably....

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Obviously small Belgian teams like Landbouw Krediet, Verandas Williams and more will still get a wildcard, so don't worry. And the reason it's World Tour is because it couldn't compete against Gent-Wevelgem without a WT status. It makes perfect sense. Omloop should be the next one day race to get a World Tour status.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
Matthijs said:
People say E3 is good racing. But when it's WT, teams like Verandas Willems Accent, An-Post Kelly, Net-app and so on do not get their shot. Instead, another race where Euskaltel is obliged to send a squad. And Lampre, Movistar, AG2R: teams with no real interest in this kind of racing.

I don't think good racing alone is the best argument. What's wrong with good racing in the .HC level? Good racing and good calender place and a unique race is what is required I think.

Omloop btw is the start for the real cobble fans. But the French, Spanish and Italians have their own season openers. And the stage racers really start at Paris-Nice. For me it's the start too, but not for the whole world though. I think this race has a better position to promote it too WT status.

I do agree with you to some extent. Though I believe the course is the main instigator for god racing. On a whole I wish there was no WT as there is so much wrong with it, one in particular forced participation. What an utter joke that is.

The main benefit of course is avoiding situations such as this year; boonen and co skipping e3 because their managers are concerned with WT points. Which is of course a massive and terrible flaw within the WT system.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
El Pistolero said:
Obviously small Belgian teams like Landbouw Krediet, Verandas Williams and more will still get a wildcard, so don't worry. And the reason it's World Tour is because it couldn't compete against Gent-Wevelgem without a WT status. It makes perfect sense. Omloop should be the next one day race to get a World Tour status.

well, Most riders will ride omloop regardless because it doesn't clash like e3. So i see the need for omloop being WT not necessary. Except for a more truer reflection in the uci standings I guess. But of course WT team status for omloop would have only slight impact on the WT points (as omloop of course already rewards points. Just slightly less as it is. who cares).

Alternatively making omloop WT means euskatel etc participate which is really a shame for all concerned.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Timmy-loves-Rabo said:
well, Most riders will ride omloop regardless because it doesn't clash like e3. So i see the need for omloop being WT not necessary. Except for a more truer reflection in the uci standings I guess. But of course WT team status for omloop would have only slight impact on the WT points (as omloop of course already rewards points. Just slightly less as it is. who cares).

Alternatively making omloop WT means euskatel etc participate which is really a shame for all concerned.

But now cyclists like Nick Nuyens and Cancellara prefer to skip the Omloop. Making it World Tour will probably lure them in. They still won't be in top shape or anything, but it would be nice to see some more cobbled stars at a cobbled race.

Whether Euskaltel will exist after next year is a big question mark anyway.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Timmy-loves-Rabo said:
why would it lure them? WT status doesn't add any prestige. They choose to skip for their year program, not because they don't like the race.

For WT points. The more WT points you have ==> the bigger contract you can get next year.

Ps: WT status does add prestige to a race.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
El Pistolero said:
For WT points. The more WT points you have ==> the bigger contract you can get next year.

Ps: WT status does add prestige to a race.

I disagree.

and i'm pretty sure a canc wont have much trouble getting a lucrative contract. And if you were aware of how the WT points system worked you'd also be aware omloop already gives points which ups a value of a rider, the difference between omloop currently and WT omloop in regards to WT points wouldn't be that big. You do realize not just WT races gives points right ;)

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Timmy-loves-Rabo said:
I disagree.

and i'm pretty sure a canc wont have much trouble getting a lucrative contract. And if you were aware of how the WT points system worked you'd also be aware omloop already gives points which ups a value of a rider, the difference between omloop currently and WT omloop in regards to WT points wouldn't be that big. You do realize not just WT races gives points right ;)

Yes, and WT points are much more valuable to cyclists than Europa Tour points. For Canc it perhaps might not matter, but for Nuyens it most definitely would matter. You also get extra points for having a specific ranking in the World Tour. It does matter. And a WT race does add prestige. Otherwise the Canadian races would have been totally worthless. Bigger competition --> more prestige. Or do you think GP Quebec would have lured Gilbert without its WT status?

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
El Pistolero said:
Yes, and WT points are much more valuable to cyclists than Europa Tour points. For Canc it perhaps might not matter, but for Nuyens it most definitely would matter. You also get extra points for having a specific ranking in the World Tour. It does matter. And a WT race does add prestige. Otherwise the Canadian races would have been totally worthless. Bigger competition --> more prestige. Or do you think GP Quebec would have lured Gilbert without its WT status?

You're right there. Canada would be nothing without WT status. I think it means something too. And besides the end of season paycheck, for the cobbles the car-number is based on ranking of that year. When Quick step hadn't any result, their car would be like 18th in the Ronde and Roubaix, so if Boonen had a flat, he could as well just take a taxi home.

You convinced me in some ways about E3. It is a good race after all. Most medium-good smaller classic teams can still be invited, allthough I'd rather see Luca Paolini when he was with Aqua e sapone then euskaltel.
I have to admit I didn't bring in the real reason: it's a spoiler. I liked it this year when Boonen and Gilbert did Gent-Wevelgem and the others E3. It's a race on the same parcours, you know too much on forehand of the Ronde. This year, at least there was the possibility Boonen was strong enough to counteract Cancellara. If there is another WT race needed, pick up Dwars door Vlaanderen and do it friday or so. E3 on wednesday 10 days before and just HC please...

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
El Pistolero said:

different situation.

Canada is a new race. Of course in this situation WT helps. If Ronde all of a sudden next year lost WT status, you reckon the riders wouldn't still have it as a season goal? Or maybe if the tour wasn't WT the riders wouldn't even show up..

True the WT points are more valuable but highest rated Europe races still score very well in regards to WT points for a team. SO if Nuyens and such are so worried about points they would be showing up anyway.

El Pistolero said:
No because the other half is utter crap. It's like Belgium is the only country where it is normal to attack 50km from the finish line.

colombia-map.jpg