• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

E3 Saxo Classic 2023, one day classic, March 24

Page 15 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
World class from Wout, amazing ride! I don't think they could drop him on Kwaremont, they tried with everything they had, but Wout was super strong. I thought he was done at that point, but he wasn't!

Turns out his sprint is still kinda good after a hard race, guys. Seems completely 50/50 to me in de Ronde in a sprint, maybe small advantage Wout now.

Pogacar still needs to just flatout drop everyone to win. Hard task with Wout and Mathieu firing on all cylinders.

Yeah Pogacars sprint got a bit exposed here.
He needs the race to be on all the way to the finish for it to work. If there were a strong chasing group closing them down and everyone had to ride, and if the hills came closer to the finish, I still think he has something.

But at the very least he can’t let those 2 thugs force him into leading out the sprint, that will never end well.

How was Van Aert lucky not to get dropped? He literally just dropped, but Pogacar and MVDP couldn't kill him entirely and he got back. No gifts what so ever, the two best riders in the world couldn't get completely rid of him when they had him in the ropes. You better believe they tried (because yes, they did).

Not the strongest on the climbs of course, but Mathieu wasn't last year either. It doesnt matter as long as you dont get dropped, and Wout didnt (well, he did, but not entirely..)

Now Mathieu would have to think he needs to actually drop him. That could form an deadly alliance with Pogacar, and Jumbo needs to play their cards just right. They have the team, but where was Benoot and Laporte today?

...yeah, he just won MSR by dropping the strongest rider in the world, and was the only one to be able to hold his wheel on the Kwaremont ...but yea, probably not monster form.
A far-less-than-monster-form Mathieu could hold the wheel of Tadej in 2022 at RVV, no problem. At MSR Mathieu was the best tactical rider, didn't put his nose into the wind until his attack. Everything written about Mathieu prior to San Remo was about how poor he had been through the CX and early road seasons. I don't think one attack changes that.

I don't really think Tadej can win a cobbled classic with Mathieu and Wout in the start list if either is even in decent form.

A far-less-than-monster-form Mathieu could hold the wheel of Tadej in 2022 at RVV, no problem. At MSR Mathieu was the best tactical rider, didn't put his nose into the wind until his attack. Everything written about Mathieu prior to San Remo was about how poor he had been through the CX and early road seasons. I don't think one attack changes that.

I don't really think Tadej can win a cobbled classic with Mathieu and Wout in the start list if either is even in decent form.

The only question is, would Merckx at his best have beaten the likes of Wout and MVDP in these classics?

How about the fact that he shattered the record on the Poggio?

Reactions: ChewbaccaDefense
Shaping up to be a great edition. I think we needed Asgreen and Alaf at their best as well, then we would have had everything, because QS at this point in time doesnt have a chance when their best rider is a 90-95% Asgreen who isn't capable of following these rapid accelerations at all. The rest of their riders are super whatever and look like juniors compared to the top riders.

They need to get out ahead, but even then, they are all just not that good atm. And that stuff doesnt change in just 9 days, I think it is what it is at this point and they would just have to pray for an Asgreen miracle, because thats all they have in Flanders.

I'm enjoying this.
Fair enough Beos I'm glad I could entertain you. I think WVA was tiny bit lucky today , Pogacar and vander poel both did quite poor tactics which allowed him to stay with them and meant that his defensive tactics, which cost him big races in the past, worked.

It's still a big difference 200km today vs 260km on RVV or roubaix, and he did technically break a rule that warrant disqualification, but I can't fault him much otherwise , he deserve to win the race