• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

E3 Saxo Classic 2023, one day classic, March 24

Page 16 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Not to mention that MVDP actually lost against Asgreen our of Flanders 2021, also in the sprint. He should definitely try to work with Pog or someone else on the climbs.
Van der Poel lost 2021 Roubaix in the sprint against Colbrelli AND Vermeersch as well. When just one little attack in the last kilometres probably would've been enough to gap Colbrelli after the Italian had responded to Vermeersch.

To rely on his sprint isn't exactly Van der Poels winning move.

Reactions: Aimar16
Wow! Really surprised to see Van Aert sprint that well after a hard race. Kudos to him! Must be nice to get the better of MVDP and really both of them. Well done by all. Pogi and MVDP really animated the race and I thought WVA was cooked. Avoided just enough work to hold on for the win. Smart racing.

Reactions: JosefK
Wow! Really surprised to see Van Aert sprint that well after a hard race. Kudos to him! Must be nice to get the better of MVDP and really both of them. Well done by all. Pogi and MVDP really animated the race and I thought WVA was cooked. Avoided just enough work to hold on for the win. Smart racing.
They were going slow the last 20km. In the Ronde these better hills are closer to the finish + 50km longer. Without these motors it could be a different outcome today.
Mathieu was behind schedule, untill he wins Sanremo. Now everyone says Wout is still behind. They're both peaking for next week. Mathieu went to hard all the time, cost him the victory. Wout was'nt pulling hard when they were gone.
And they didn't know Wout was almost dropped a couple times.

Reactions: red_flanders
What a race that was. The three best classics riders right now going head to head. MVDP kicking things off at the Taaienberg and Stationsberg then Pogacar dropping the hammer at Paterberg and Oude Kwaremont. Impressive from Wout to get back after getting dropped and then to win the sprint at the end. Can't wait for RvV next week. Wout has to hope he has better form for the climbs or else Pogacar and MVDP will fully drop him at RvV, especially with Oude Kwaremont and Paterberg being much closer to the finish then (and much longer too).

They were going slow the last 20km. In the Ronde these better hills are closer to the finish + 50km longer. Without these motors it could be a different outcome today.
Mathieu was behind schedule, untill he wins Sanremo. Now everyone says Wout is still behind. They're both peaking for next week. Mathieu went to hard all the time, cost him the victory. Wout was'nt pulling hard when they were gone.
And they didn't know Wout was almost dropped a couple times.

+100. This might be a "mini Flanders" in that they cover some of the same hills and it's shorter, but the finales of these races are completely different beasts entirely. This was a very nice win for Wout today in front of the home crowd but I'm not convinced a week is going to give him what he needs to do the same in De Ronde.

My prediction for next week: Pog wins it solo.

Reactions: Vudy and Didinho
+100. This might be a "mini Flanders" in that they cover some of the same hills and it's shorter, but the finales of these races are completely different beasts entirely. This was a very nice win for Wout today in front of the home crowd but I'm not convinced a week is going to give him what he needs to do the same in De Ronde.

My prediction for next week: Pog wins it solo.
Also my thought, and Mathieu needs these hard races to become better. Pogi knows he's got to drill like last year. If I would be a Wout fan, I would be worried that he wasn't looking good on the hills in a much shorter race. But it could also be how the legs are feeling that day.
I'm just a little frustrated that Mathieu pulls most of the finale and doesn't sit in Wout slipstream for the sprint. It's a tailwind and you know Wout needs a longer effort. Just stick to his wheel.

Is it weird that after today I'm more sceptical about Pogacar winning de Ronde? I just feel like he needs to get away solo and staying away is really hard.

I have the same feelings. It's nothing new anymore that he's super strong on those cobbled hills but his sprint was way weaker than I expected today. Yup, he needs to drop them all on Oude Kwaremont or Peterberg and stay ahead. Really difficult task with those monsters being in such a form.

I like how deterministic people are being about Ronde based on today. While I can't see Van Aert, Van der Poel or Pogacar flop there like some E3 winners and other protagonists have, the form on the day will probably be a bit different to today's for all three of them. With how fine the margins are right now, that could lead to some clearly different dynamics to today's.

Also, Pogacar definitely isn't slower than Asgreen in a sprint, so he won't be without hope if it does end up being between him and Van der Poel (and/or Van Aert).

Last edited:
Reactions: Monsi and Nick2413
I like how deterministic people are being about Ronde based on today. While I can't see Van Aert, Van der Poel or Pogacar flop there like some E3 winners and other protagonists have, the form on the day will probably be a bit different to today's for all three of them. With how fine the margins are right now, that could lead to some clearly different dynamics to today's.

Also, Pogacar definitely isn't slower than Asgreen in a sprint, so he won't be without hope if it does end up being between him and Van der Poel (and/or Van Aert).
Pogacar should watch how Asgreen and Bini beat MVDP. They both went for really long sprints that left MVDP empty towards the end. Maybe he could try and do that too. Easier said than done, of course. If Wout survives the onslaught on the climbs, then it would be a different dynamic, of course. Obviously, Pog would want to just drop them two straight up (especially MVDP), even though it would be difficult.

Not going to happen unless someone grows harder climbs in Flanders
Fiertelmeers says hi. It's one of the sides of the Hotond.

fiertelmeers.png

Pogacar should watch how Asgreen and Bini beat MVDP. They both went for really long sprints that left MVDP empty towards the end. Maybe he could try and do that too. Easier said than done, of course. If Wout survives the onslaught on the climbs, then it would be a different dynamic, of course. Obviously, Pog would want to just drop them two straight up (especially MVDP), even though it would be difficult.

Longer sprint is okay, but not with MVDP in the wheel. Pog would need to somehow pick the moment that Wout and MVDP look at each other and try to surprise them. Easier said than done.

Longer sprint is okay, but not with MVDP in the wheel. Pog would need to somehow pick the moment that Wout and MVDP look at each other and try to surprise them. Easier said than done.
Yeah and it's pretty hard to do that cause it looks like both of them really expects Pog to try and attack before the last kilometer so it's gonna hard to catch them by surprise.

TRENDING THREADS