• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

E3 Saxo Classic 2023, one day classic, March 24

Page 17 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
The moment that Wout knew he was going to win

Fr_uU2AWAAMr8Pe

• Haha
Reactions: ChewbaccaDefense
Is it weird that after today I'm more sceptical about Pogacar winning de Ronde? I just feel like he needs to get away solo and staying away is really hard.

I can see where you might think that but the way I see it, at the moment tbe big 3 are clearly light years ahead of everyone else* so he's not going to have to stay away from Wout and half the Jumbo team, or fight against the now nowhere to be seen 'Wolfpack', etc

I believe Pog has more depth to his fitness right now than either MVDP and Wout and we'll see that emerge in the longer, harder race. And when it does, there are only two he needs to stay away from. Of course I wouldn't mind seeing him with a team mate deeper into the race..

*My wildcard is Mohoric; I don't think its impossible he finds another gear next week and if he does he's a spoiler. The guy is a beast.

Just my .02 of course; a week can change a lot and GW may tell us more.

Reactions: Poursuivant
Hey, our boy Matteo coming 4th. Not bad for a newbie!

That was a great ride by him today; very active and not an anonymous 'under the radar' day. Super interested in seeing how he handles DeRonde. If he can reign in that youthful exuberance, follow, follow, follow, and get to the finale with the big guns I think he's got the form to do something special.

Last edited:
Reactions: Oldermanish
I think it's not allowed out of the car while driving.
It's cheating. Against the rules to clean the chain likd that outside the moving car. But they turn a blind eye because it's a Belgian star on a Belgian race . Who knows what other lengts Belgian pozzato will go to to get another semi classic on his palmares after this, since the uci doesn't dare to stop him

It's cheating. Against the rules to clean the chain likd that outside the moving car. But they turn a blind eye because it's a Belgian star on a Belgian race . Who knows what other lengts Belgian pozzato will go to to get another semi classic on his palmares after this, since the uci doesn't dare to stop him
They turn a blind eye to everyone that does this. But now that attention has been drawn to it, it seems like there is no other course of action but to delete the rule.

Kristen Faulkner must be fuming, though.

I think Van Aert has an uncanny ability to 'hang on' in very difficult moments. Probably he is a bit less talented than MvdP and Pogacar, but his ability to suffer is almost unrivaled. Like in the Tokio Olympics on that brutal climb where he just refuses to crack and give in. If he combines that with the newfound cool he showed yesterday in the final kilometers, he'll be able to win more in these classics than he has so far.

QS with one rider within 7 minutes and its.. Yves Lampaert! A rider who pedals backwards on the steep cobbles when Pogi and Mathieu accelerates.

Lefevre is fuming right now.

E3 Saxo Classic - Lefevere: "On the bus, I said what I thought"

As always. "During the E3 Saxo Classic, I had lunch at the Castor Restaurant in Waregem, two Michelin stars. The only thing that was good this Friday was food. The team's performance was below the required standards," he explains in his column at Het Nieuwsblad.

I think Van Aert has an uncanny ability to 'hang on' in very difficult moments. Probably he is a bit less talented than MvdP and Pogacar, but his ability to suffer is almost unrivaled. Like in the Tokio Olympics on that brutal climb where he just refuses to crack and give in. If he combines that with the newfound cool he showed yesterday in the final kilometers, he'll be able to win more in these classics than he has so far.
The by far strongest Wout I have seen is last year. I firmly believe he was the strongest rider that year, but he got sick, but actually managed to almost win Roubaix despite COVID. He's not that same rider this year I think, maybe half a level below, so we probably won't see him put in those hard accelerations... but hes still incredibly dangerous as we saw today.

Reactions: Poursuivant

TRENDING THREADS