• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

East German doping

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
This link is a long but interesting read on the systematic doping of athletes in the East German regime. (generally 1960's-80's) I know it's been public knowledge for years but the details are disturbing. It illustrates the system that Jan Ullrich, Erik Zabel, Uwe Ampler and other cyclists grew up in.

http://www.clinchem.org/cgi/content/full/43/7/1262

While many athletes taking illegal PED's acknowledge at least some of the risks, these East Germans were often lied to and the system helped shield the perpetrators from blame.

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
In the old days behind the iron curtain if a young athleat was good they would take him out of school and fill him up with drugs and teach them how to paly sport their way.

flicker

BANNED
Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Thank you. This is exactly why I hammer at guys like LeMond, Kimmage and Walsh. Systematic doping was taking place in the 60s, that was when LeMond was a toddler. I grew up watching the Olympics. 76 I looked at the results of the medals and the population base of the countries and said no. I did not use peds but something was seriously wrong. Right then and there I gave up on the Olympics and watched cycling exclusively.
I knew cyclists doped and I knew that it was a part of the sport and I accepted doping. The Olympics which I thought exsemplefied the best were shattered.

I went to watch cycling which I could never reach a pinnicelle of the sport where riders used designer drugs.

If Le. Kimm and Wal. looked at this problem in perspective I believe they could attack doping in a more effective manner.

At this point doping is so out of control, anyone can buy these poisons on the internet. A shame for humanity.

flicker

BANNED
Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
When the German TV gets in a huff and shuts down the Tour because of doping in cycling my friends chant the mantra Om padhi hypocrite Alemania Om

The country is in denial of their own cheating.... for years Germany cheated and Russia oh no they would not dope systematicly and now Espana shows the world what an athletic powerhouse it has become. Oh the horror...

flicker said:
When the German TV gets in a huff and shuts down the Tour because of doping in cycling my friends chant the mantra Om padhi hypocrite Alemania Om

The country is in denial of their own cheating.... for years Germany cheated and Russia oh no they would not dope systematicly and now Espana shows the world what an athletic powerhouse it has become. Oh the horror...
From firsthand experience in Germany when Ullrich was busted, I strongly disagree with your appraisal.

It is easy to typecast. But, it doesn't fit.

When I visited the Stasi HQ in Leipzig, there did not appear to be much appeal for the systemized doping program.

When I asked for a translation of the article that broke the news on Ullrich, it was simple. "Ullrich is a doper."

Now, if we are going to typecast, would you expect that reaction from someone in Texas right after the Ressiot article was printed?

Dave.

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site
A lot of Eastern block coaches got jobs in the west and are still working there now. I am distrustfull of all state sponsored elite performance programs.Not just East European ones

Everything indicates state sponsored doping as far as East Germany was concerned. In swimming, cycling and athletics especially. The body shapes of many of the female athletes looked unnatural. Many admitted to it when they retired and some never will. The doping record of the Telecom team in it's various guises also looks bad. But of recent years it seems that Italy and Spain don't look too good either. Correspondingly I have never bought the assertion that the French don't dope as much because they no longer win the prestige races. I would like to think that within each team there are competitors who have morals and are willing to do what's right. Whether they always know what their team mates are up to is doubtful but I am sure they have suspicions. It's a guessing game until they are caught but it's always a mixture of good and bad emotions when champions like Contador are under suspicion.

Thanks

pleyser said:
This link is a long but interesting read on the systematic doping of athletes in the East German regime. (generally 1960's-80's) I know it's been public knowledge for years but the details are disturbing. It illustrates the system that Jan Ullrich, Erik Zabel, Uwe Ampler and other cyclists grew up in.

http://www.clinchem.org/cgi/content/full/43/7/1262

While many athletes taking illegal PED's acknowledge at least some of the risks, these East Germans were often lied to and the system helped shield the perpetrators from blame.

Thanks SO much for sharing this link.

TRENDING THREADS