• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Economical Wheelsets?

Sep 8, 2009
Visit site
I have a friend of mine who is getting into cycling, he has everything but the wheelset. He's a starving student so he can't spend too much and he's looked at the following:

Fulcrum Racing 5
Shimano WH-RS30
Mavic Aksium

Recommendations? Anything else that he should look into?

Jul 16, 2009
Visit site
I have a set of Mavic Aksium Race rims which were quite affordable ... look good and feel good on the road ...... would recommend them over others.

Feb 4, 2010
Visit site
Mavic is the way to go...

Mavic is definitely one of the top wheel companies. I would strongly recommend Mavic Kysrium Equipe.
I've ridden Fulcrum 5 and broke 4 spokes in the first 5 weeks. I sent them back and the new set they sent me again popped a bunch of spokes.
I've put thousands of miles into Kysriums and they are bomb proof, light and stiff!

Enjoy the new wheels!

Aug 19, 2009
Visit site
light, stiff, cheap - you can have any two but not all three. Hunt on e-bay for lower end mavic or campag wheels. I got a set of siroccos for $200 and a set of neutrons for $200 (bargain) UK and European sellers can often get good postage rates but don't bother with the states. One other golden rule, save your money and spen it on wheels. A cheap grupopo will work better than cheap wheels.

Aug 14, 2009
Visit site
I am also in the market for a relatively light and cheap wheelset, mainly:

- Campagnolo Zonda
- Campagnolo Scirocco
- Campagnolo Vento
- Mavic Cosmic Elite

soOpOSMthanks! said:
I have a friend of mine who is getting into cycling, he has everything but the wheelset. He's a starving student so he can't spend too much and he's looked at the following:

Fulcrum Racing 5
Shimano WH-RS30
Mavic Aksium

Recommendations? Anything else that he should look into?

My recommendation is have a good local wheelbuilder design and build a wheelset specifically for them and their cycling needs. Better hubs(certainly better than anything Mavic), off the shelf parts(ask around to see who has spokes for any of the wheels mentioned), same or lighter weight, etc....and maybe even less $...

Jul 11, 2009
Visit site
All the wheelsets you have mentioned are of rather poor quality. Do what Busted has recommended.

I got some 32 hole Mavic open pro rims (the only quality product mavic make) built into some Ultegra hubs using Alpina spokes. I had a friend build them up for me and they cost under $300 Au dollars. I did 18,000 kms on them last year without them going out of true, try doing that with a pair of cheep Mavics! I've even used them in a number of races.

They do weight about 1900 grams but that is still lighter than the wheelsets you have listed.

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
soOpOSMthanks! said:
Fulcrum Racing 5
Shimano WH-RS30
Mavic Aksium

ViaPagliano said:
- Campagnolo Zonda
- Campagnolo Scirocco
- Campagnolo Vento
- Mavic Cosmic Elite

I have khamsins, neutrons, boras and barcelonas with record hubs and think you can't go wrong with anything from campagnolo. but for a student on a budget, you could do worse than khamsins for less than £130.

I've ridden on both Ksyrium Elites and Askiums. Over the course of 6 years I cracked 3 rims on my Ksyrium Elites, albeit one of those was my fault for doing a Beloki and overheating the rims on a descent. I'm about 6'0" and 175 lbs, so I wouldn't think I'm too heavy for the wheels, although I do ride over just about whatever's in my path.

I eventually gave up on the Ksyrium Elites and went to American Classic Victory's. They're pretty inexpensive (MSRP of $469 USD) and relatively light (1648g for the set), but I've had some issues with the hubs getting loose.

I know somebody who had Ksyrium Equipes and if I recall correctly he had some issues with them as well. But I can't remember if it was with the rims, hubs, or keeping them true.

I've found the Askiums to be pretty bombproof, I think I've only had to true a spoke once or twice, but they do seem to be a bit heavy and sluggish.

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
Economical Wheelsets = Trouble

Wheels are the one place you never want to go cheap on.

As stated...... get some custom wheels made by someone who stands behind their work.... meaning the wheels won't need truing or break spokes in their intended use.

Mar 19, 2009
www.ridemagnetic.com
I'm in the same camp of suggesting a custom build from a reputable builder. Those cheap outtabox wheels are usually machine built, use really crap bearings in their hubs, and are always traversing a fine line between weight and durability. In the long run you'll end up paying more for a wheel set that you thought was a really good deal in the beginning.

With that being said, choosing a wheel set really is nothing to take lightly, or go for the absolute cheapest, since it is the most dynamic component on the bike. I think it was Bustedknuckle that said from a previous conversation that it's better to have a cheap frame rather than cheap wheels. That's absolutely right. Sure, if you're hurting for money, there are deals to be had on some very decent wheels, but you want to talk to wheel builders. Take stock of what you'll be using them for, rider weight, your local road conditions are a factor, and take an honest self assessment of your riding ability and/or style.

Mar 19, 2009
www.ridemagnetic.com
usedtobefast said:
all right men touch gloves and come out fighting. this is kind of like the other
thread about inexpensive wheels. i agree, some hand built wheels are a joy to ride. they are not so inexpensive though.

They don't have to be expensive. Where did you get that idea? In the right hands you're saving money more often than not and getting a better wheel set, not to mention the amount of parts that are available for a custom wheel build is staggering. I'd rather have my wheel set built from start to finish by a human that would actually ride what they are building, not tensioned by a machine in Asia and finished by people who don't give a crap what you're going to do with those wheels, nor would they ride them themselves. It's a matter of principle I guess. The problem is that not every single bike shop out there has competent wheel builders anymore. Many can do it with some skill, but shops do it less and less because they don't make much money on it and it's time consuming.

RDV4ROUBAIX said:
They don't have to be expensive. Where did you get that idea? In the right hands you're saving money more often than not and getting a better wheel set, not to mention the amount of parts that are available for a custom wheel build is staggering. I'd rather have my wheel set built from start to finish by a human that would actually ride what they are building, not tensioned by a machine in Asia and finished by people who don't give a crap what you're going to do with those wheels, nor would they ride them themselves. It's a matter of principle I guess. The problem is that not every single bike shop out there has competent wheel builders anymore. Many can do it with some skill, but shops do it less and less because they don't make much money on it and it's time consuming.
i have several sets of hand built wheels and they are not inexpensive. i would not expect them to be. the factory built wheels i own, run from cheap to moderate and i find them to be fine. they are great for everyday use .
not to put to fine a point on it, but here in my area. we have some of the best
wheel builders and mechanics in the world. they build my race wheels for sure. but for everyday banging around, some factory mavics or shimanos work
fine. i am 140 pounds though, and rarely have any problems with that stuff.

Mar 19, 2009
www.ridemagnetic.com
usedtobefast said:
i have several sets of hand built wheels and they are not inexpensive. i would not expect them to be. the factory built wheels i own, run from cheap to moderate and i find them to be fine. they are great for everyday use .
not to put to fine a point on it, but here in my area. we have some of the best
wheel builders and mechanics in the world. they build my race wheels for sure. but for everyday banging around, some factory mavics or shimanos work
fine. i am 140 pounds though, and rarely have any problems with that stuff.

Great, but it still doesn't mean that budget customs can't be done, you're making it sound otherwise, and it couldn't be further from the truth.

RDV4ROUBAIX said:
Great, but it still doesn't mean that budget customs can't be done, you're making it sound otherwise, and it couldn't be further from the truth.

i guess i comes down to what is "inexpensive". 100 bucks? per. i just know what i have paid and what others quote. so i may be off on what you can do.
enlighten me.

Mar 19, 2009
www.ridemagnetic.com
usedtobefast said:
i guess i comes down to what is "inexpensive". 100 bucks? per. i just know what i have paid and what others quote. so i may be off on what you can do.
enlighten me.

When I worked in a shop about 5 years ago we had about 2 dozen catalogs from distributors and importers that we regularly ordered from. We were building some really affordable customs for beginner racers for about 300-350, with some very decent parts I might add. With all the wheel parts available out there anything can be done, and will ultimately out last those BS boxed wheels that blow bearings and pop spokes until no end (not if you're 140lbs though, you can't wear anything out at that weight:D:D:D). I also worked in the warranty dept of a very large cycling co, and I've seen enough crap from these so called box wheels that would make your head spin. I understand the word "custom" to some people just means "$$$". That's just a huge misconception when it comes to bike wheels.

RDV4ROUBAIX said:
When I worked in a shop about 5 years ago we had about 2 dozen catalogs from distributors and importers that we regularly ordered from. We were building some really affordable customs for beginner racers for about 300-350, with some very decent parts I might add. With all the wheel parts available out there anything can be done, and will ultimately out last those BS boxed wheels that blow bearings and pop spokes until no end (not if you're 140lbs though, you can't wear anything out at that weight:D:D:D). I also worked in the warranty dept of a very large cycling co, and I've seen enough crap from these so called box wheels that would make your head spin. I understand the word "custom" to some people just means "$$$". That's just a huge misconception when it comes to bike wheels.

i guess 350 is about the cutoff for good parts for pair of pretty good wheels.
100 bucks is cheap, but i have seen them, in a factory build per wheel.
all my handbuilt wheels are still good.

ravens

BANNED
Nov 22, 2009
Visit site
53 x 11 said:
All the wheelsets you have mentioned are of rather poor quality. Do what Busted has recommended.

I got some 32 hole Mavic open pro rims (the only quality product mavic make) built into some Ultegra hubs using Alpina spokes. I had a friend build them up for me and they cost under $300 Au dollars. I did 18,000 kms on them last year without them going out of true, try doing that with a pair of cheep Mavics! I've even used them in a number of races.

They do weight about 1900 grams but that is still lighter than the wheelsets you have listed.

Performance bike used to sell open pro's with ultegra hubs for under $200/set, I think the spokes are 14g straight. Don't really know, but when you are as big as me, you need strong spokes, 32h btw.

I think the price has gone up since I got mine, but I like them a lot more than the cxp22's that came on the bike (stress fractures at many nipples in the rim). These aren't racing wheels, climbing wheels or sprinting wheels, they're just wheels. :p

It appeared from your list you may be slightly up market from open pros w/ultegra.

Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
RDV4ROUBAIX said:

I'm buying a pair of Rolf Elans this year and am looking at having a second set of wheels built for the winter time to take on all the grit, salt and stuff that sticks to your break pads. There are a few routes I do that I call my Roubaix and Flanders routes that are over horrible, but challenging roads that I would want to use these wheels for as well. I'm thinking of the standard ultegra/open pro/revolutions or the more appealing option, Amborsio Excellight's/ultegra/revolutions.

I've never had a wheel priced to build. What do you think it would cost to have a pair like this built. I know a wheel like this would last forever, and for a "durable" wheel, wouldn't be all that heavy. You think 1650 or so? That's what I'm looking for.

Mar 19, 2009
www.ridemagnetic.com
SoulCycling said:
I'm buying a pair of Rolf Elans this year and am looking at having a second set of wheels built for the winter time to take on all the grit, salt and stuff that sticks to your break pads. There are a few routes I do that I call my Roubaix and Flanders routes that are over horrible, but challenging roads that I would want to use these wheels for as well. I'm thinking of the standard ultegra/open pro/revolutions or the more appealing option, Amborsio Excellight's/ultegra/revolutions.

I've never had a wheel priced to build. What do you think it would cost to have a pair like this built. I know a wheel like this would last forever, and for a "durable" wheel, wouldn't be all that heavy. You think 1650 or so? That's what I'm looking for.

Your "durable" wheels should be Ambrosio Excellence, not Excellight, and DT Comps, not Revs. With those Ultegra hubs that set can be had for roughly 600 bucks and still be in that weight range of 1650. I build with Ambrosio rims exclusively, but I use Edco hubs, slightly more expensive because of the Swiss cheese.;)

Apr 16, 2009
Visit site
RDV4ROUBAIX said:
Your "durable" wheels should be Ambrosio Excellence, not Excellight, and DT Comps, not Revs. With those Ultegra hubs that set can be had for roughly 600 bucks and still be in that weight range of 1650. I build with Ambrosio rims exclusively, but I use Edco hubs, slightly more expensive because of the Swiss cheese.;)

What's wrong with the Excellights? I'm 70kg. Would they be fine in that case?

TRENDING THREADS