• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Edvald Boasson Hagen - How Good Is He

Page 6 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

Vasilis said:
Dekker_Tifosi said:
EBH was a beast at High Road. Then sucked at Sky. Now slowly becoming a beast again at Dimension Data.

So many wasted years as some crude helper. Rowe is going the same way (can do much more then he does now).
He wasn't bad at Sky, just from 2013 onwards.
Sky tried to convert him into a climber just like G today but failed considering that he came close to dropping Wiggins in the mountains in 2010. It worked with G but EBH probably lost a lot of power with that kind of training. Had he remained with his natural ability he would have a better palmares than gerrans, matthews etc.

I am happy to see EBH riding very well again, his speed in this Tour so far impresses me. The first months of this year were really weak from him and he ofc did well in Norway after that but the level there wasnt that high, so its great seeing him again at a high level, hope he can keep it for the rest of the year and get some nice wins in, tomorrows stage looks pretty good for him as well and he could even win on sunday (he might actually be 2nd favourite behind Groenewegen, judging from how guys like Greipel are sprinting in the last sprints).

Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Re:

Oude Geuze said:
I have a strong urge to put money on EBH for Paris, maybe even today:p It would be so funny if he did it, winning on champs-elysees because there are no sprinters left in the peloton.

I hope you did it, man.

Great ride from Eddy today. Looked strong all the way, moving around the break like a boss, knowing where everybody was. The way he blew Arndt off his wheel was fantastic. Made me think of those stages he won in Britain a long time ago.

Looking forward to sunday.

Re:

Flamin said:
Strange how him, Valgren and Kragh Andersen all got sick in Algarve, and still none of them seem to have properly recovered. Only Kragh showed some sign of life in G-W for the first time.

Ye i was talking about this with some people a few days ago, not only them also Stuyven who was really weak in the opening classics and is just now starting to get better. And you could also make a case for Demare/Laporte.

Re:

Flamin said:
Strange how him, Valgren and Kragh Andersen all got sick in Algarve, and still none of them seem to have properly recovered. Only Kragh showed some sign of life in G-W for the first time.

They probably missed a block of training and preparation before the weeks that has been in March started. Then had to start all over again to build form or got thrown into races not having any form at all too early. While others being in a lot better shape making them look even worse.

I have been sick all week and went for a short ride yesterday. Totally zapped, should never have done that. Something like that can take at least a weak to fully recover from, then your form is *** and you have missed a ton of training as well. It really sucks.

Re:

Valv.Piti said:
I have been sick all week and went for a short ride yesterday. Totally zapped, should never have done that. Something like that can take at least a weak to fully recover from, then your form is **** and you have missed a ton of training as well. It really sucks.

It is always hard to judge. If pros struggle to judge whether they should ride or rest I think we can forgive ourselves. I am sure you will be charging by this time next week. Actually it is worse as you get older because fitness falls faster when you miss time on the bike then when we were in our 20s. So we are more compelled to ride when we instead should be resting. Best solution if you are not sure just take it real easy Zone 1 or Zone 2 max.

Salvarani said:
Flamin said:

They probably missed a block of training and preparation before the weeks that has been in March started. Then had to start all over again to build form or got thrown into races not having any form at all too early. While others being in a lot better shape making them look even worse.

Apparently ;) I meant that they all seem to have had something serious, and all after Algarve. Sagan and Wellens for example also got sick somewhere during their prep but it didn't really hamper them that much.

Cookster15 said:
Valv.Piti said:
I have been sick all week and went for a short ride yesterday. Totally zapped, should never have done that. Something like that can take at least a weak to fully recover from, then your form is **** and you have missed a ton of training as well. It really sucks.

It is always hard to judge. If pros struggle to judge whether they should ride or rest I think we can forgive ourselves. I am sure you will be charging by this time next week. Actually it is worse as you get older because fitness falls faster when you miss time on the bike then when we were in our 20s. So we are more compelled to ride when we instead should be resting. Best solution if you are not sure just take it real easy Zone 1 or Zone 2 max.
Definitely. A sickness that needs a full week off the bike can set you back by a month or more. You've got to adjust goals as needed, this can require building base all over again.

What the hell happened to this guy’s career. He seemed to get old very young. Third last guy in the Lorrenzo Manzin train, riding for Total-Direct Energie.
A combination I think. In Norway his digestive problem has been mentioned several times. Translated from Norwegian via google translate:

https://translate.google.com/transl...shovd-om-edvalds-store-problem-det-er-mystisk

But I also think there are other reasons. His last couple of years in Sky was the turning point. Maybe he did something wrong in training in that period and tried to become a type of rider that didn't fit him. And he certainly did that after leaving Sky. Then he added several kgs specifically for targeting Paris-Roubaix, a race that IMO didn't fit him at all.

And I have always had a gut feeling that Edvald just wasn't as serious in his training as his compatriot Kristoff. He just didn't put in the necessary kms to become a rider of top, top world class.

Reactions: search