• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders EF Pro Cycling

Page 33 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
The only excuse is that two are TDF debutants (I was hoping when i saw 4 of them+Rigo they'd attack but evidently the conditions at that stage were not optimum, but an injection of pace would have most likely seen at least one of them end up with Uran).

One Cannondale rider had a mechanical during the first climb of the day and I'm 95% sure that it was Bettiol. With him in the first group I'm sure it would have looked better for the team, as he is the one among Uran's helpers who seems to be in the best form right now. It's not like Aru or Bardet had 5 team-mates at the point when Uran was isolated.

For me it was nice to see Rolland trying his best to place Uran within the last 40 kilometers. He was always an awful rider on stages like this, but today he gave his best of his limited capabilities in the terrain like this to help his team-mate.

EDIT: Yeah, it was Bettiol with a mechanical: https://twitter.com/AlbertoBettiol/status/887349413252919296 Luckily, it didn't matter for Rigo in the end.

That explains some of it. I think Bevin was fetching bottles for some reason and Rolland did a good job all things considering. I'm not sure Phinney was there a well, as he finished 16' back. I thought I saw him there but it might have mixed him up with DvB. Was definitely expecting more from Van Baarle, and the team in general, but it seems like the team just had some hiccups today. Shame, as they're still all there and on paper had the pieces to do something on a stage like today's.

Phinney was dropped on the first climb. I'm sure I saw him a couple of times riding the pace in 2nd group (perhaps hoping to bring Bettiol back to help Uran). And I'm even more sure that there were 3 Cannondale riders there- him, Bettiol and Clarke- it appears.

Re:

Escarabajo said:
From his videos, it looks like Phinney came for a vacation to France.
yes, working his PR alright. He cracks me up, but NBC is really milking it. At some point, it becomes the macarena thing...

Too bad for Rolland and his own goals. It's time to help Uran. He can podium, he's so close...who knows?

Re: Cannondale-Drapac

fauniera said:
Pierre Rolland is officially the worst teammate ever.
You've officially typed the worst post ever.

Btw.
I've just read that from cyclingnews' main page and I'm really happy:
Cannondale, with a new major sponsor on the way, have begun negotiating with their riders. Rigoberto Uran, Pierre Rolland and Simon Clarke are all expected to stay although the future of Davide Formolo is a little more unclear with several teams, including Bora, interested after his Giro performance. The American outfit have, however, signed up hot prospect Neilson Powless, while there’s a lot of interest in Chris Lawless from Great Britain. Dylan Van Baarle is also expect to agree a new deal.
If Van Baarle stays, Cannondale will have one of the top teams for cobbled classics again. Hopefully Vanmarcke can avoid crashes and health problems next year.

Powless is the man I have been hoping that Cannondale would sign for a while.

Re: Re:

Mayomaniac said:
Frankschleck said:
just out of curiosty, what were talansky and rollands goals going into the race,, and why are they not preforming?
Talansky got sick before the Tour, that's all I know.

GT team members never get sick before GT, that's the first thing to know if team is entering GT with winning mindset. If they do get sick, they get a place at the shaky end of long list next time. Whatever you do you don't get sick. :mad:

If all goes well and team gets at least runnerup spot, they should get rid of these hangaround fellows asap 3-4 guys at least. Rolland so lazy behaviour in now such tight and delicate situation towards Uran that his Giro stage win is about nullified from his merits ffs. He had plenty of recovery days between Giro, Route du Sud and Tour.

They just don't have good firepower for this just yet.

Re: Re:

memyselfandI said:
Mayomaniac said:
Frankschleck said:
just out of curiosty, what were talansky and rollands goals going into the race,, and why are they not preforming?
Talansky got sick before the Tour, that's all I know.

GT team members never get sick before GT, that's the first thing to know if team is entering GT with winning mindset. If they do get sick, they get a place at the shaky end of long list next time. Whatever you do you don't get sick. :mad:

If all goes well and team gets at least runnerup spot, they should get rid of these hangaround fellows asap 3-4 guys at least. Rolland so lazy behaviour in now such tight and delicate situation towards Uran that his Giro stage win is about nullified from his merits ffs. He had plenty of recovery days between Giro, Route du Sud and Tour.

They just don't have good firepower for this just yet.

Rolland got sick as well.

Jun 15, 2015
Visit site
Re:

Frankschleck said:

Could have been really interesting if they were healthy. Rolland won the mtf in the route du sud, so one would think there was a plan to let him try something in the GC given the route this year. Could have been interesting if Uran had a Landa as well.
Anyways, have to say the lack of a proper attempt to shake Sky today was a big let down. Take the shot at the legendary win instead of being an entry on the spreadsheet.
To many fans (myself included) he will be Rigoberto Also-Ran after this display.

Anderis said:
fauniera said:
Seriously? Are you watching the same race? Rigo got zero help from Rolland. Absolutely zero. In the mountains Rolland was often one of the first riders to get dropped, sometime even before Kittel. But yesterday and today, when Rolland can ride for himself again, he suddenly has the legs to attack and go into breakaways. All for himself, nothing for the team. Okay, lets say worst teammate since Gadret.

Well it must be understood that good teammember, teammate or whatever is more than just performance. It's stress managenet, health management, loyality aso aso. And then again performance is needed. People talk that team this or that didn't try..well everyone who's been in a race or stage race knows that it's not that simple :D tactical aspects aside, but if there's a strong team higher than your level, there's not much you can do but hold your hat, say what you want, attacks are small and slow looking when you've been in the red too long or days :rolleyes:

fauniera said:
Anderis said:
fauniera said:
Seriously? Are you watching the same race? Rigo got zero help from Rolland. Absolutely zero. In the mountains Rolland was often one of the first riders to get dropped, sometime even before Kittel. But yesterday and today, when Rolland can ride for himself again, he suddenly has the legs to attack and go into breakaways. All for himself, nothing for the team. Okay, lets say worst teammate since Gadret.
Seriously. As you might know or not, I'm a Cannondale-team fan and I'm watching them much more closely than other teams and riders during the race.

Rolland hasn't even been the least useful Uran's team-mate in this race (let alone the huge exaggeration of being the worst team-mate ever, when we had riders like Gadret who you mentioned). He was at the front of the peloton protecting Uran during the echelon stage (of course he dropped when the pace went up but he did what he could earlier). He was the last Cannondale's man protecting Uran between 2 HC climbs on a stage 9 (yes, he was protecting him, Uran was riding on his wheel). He was with Uran to the end of a stage 8. That's much more than Phinney has done for Uran this Tour for example.
He is dropping early in the mountains because he has no form. He is either too tired after riding Giro+Route du Sud+TdF or sick as some other people mentioned. Yesterday he was in the breakaway and he wasn't even among 10 strongest riders there. There are the legs he's got to attack. Comfortably outclimbed on a HC MTF finish by riders like Hardy, Kozhatayev, Minaard etc. where he could fight for a stage win for himself. You don't need great legs to be in a break. Almost every third rider remaining in the race managed that yesterday.

Anderis said:
He was the last Cannondale's man protecting Uran between 2 HC climbs on a stage 9 (yes, he was protecting him, Uran was riding on his wheel).
That looked more like an accident. He was in the break, trying to win the stage, got dropped and stayed with Rigo in the valley.

Anderis said:
He is dropping early in the mountains because he has no form. He is either too tired after riding Giro+Route du Sud+TdF or sick as some other people mentioned.
So tired that he is one of the first rider to get dropped? Even before some sprinters? Sorry, i'm not buying that. He looked the strongest of todays first breakaway group, by the way.

Re:

Zinoviev Letter said:
The sponsorship deal with Oath is interesting, but I get the impression that they are still looking for a new lead sponsor.
I have the same impression. The announcement on the Cannondale-Drapac's website is that "Slipstream announces Oath as exclusive digital media partner". That doesn't sound like a "lead" sponsor at all. There's no mention that the team will change its name next year. You would think that they would've announced these things if Oath was to be the new lead sponsor.
Besides, last Monday Vaughters said "but no big announcement is planned for now". And 4 days later came the news about Oath. That makes me think that Oath will just be a secondary sponsor and Vaughters was negotiating with someone else too for a bigger deal and some media seem to have just merged those 2 stories into one.

Zinoviev Letter said:
Does anyone have any idea who will be in the Vuelta team?
By deduction:
- Uran and Formolo are on the provisional starlists, so they should go.
- Rolland will certainly not go as he did a Giro-Tour schedule and has not enough left in the tank.
- At the beginning of the season it was said that Villella copes well with a "heavy" schedule so I would expect him to ride a 2nd GT unless they will decide to take other riders instead since he is rumoured to have signed with Astana.
- Dombrowski hinted at the beginning of the season that he might ride the American races instead of Vuelta in the August.
- IIRC, I think to have read that Vanmarcke was not planning to do a GT this year.
There rest is anyone's guess.

By the way, 2nd overall and a stage win. A great overall result that exceeds pre-Tour expectation of most of the cycling fans by far. And that's when I was more pessimistic than usually about what they could do in this Tour! :D Very good job considering the lowest budget in a WT even if some will claim that Uran should've attacked more (he wouldn't have cracked the Sky train anyway IMO) and have more support (but I don't think anyone bar Bardet or Froome had significantly more support from his team-mates in the mountains, Uran often had someone with him at the point when plenty of other top10 riders were already isolated).

Also if I'm not mistaken, they are the only team that has finished with all 9 riders in both Giro and Tour this year. Those years in which the team's key riders were crashing out left, right and centre seem to be gone.

EDIT: Someone wrote in the Vuelta speculation thread that Uran will not go to the Vuelta.

TRENDING THREADS