• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders EF Pro Cycling

Page 41 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Cannondale-Drapac

Modolo is an excellent signing for Cannondale. I don't think the team has had such a good sprinter since Farrar's decline. And he will bring some options for cobbles too, as he has proven this year he can be competitive even in Tour of Flanders. I wonder if this move was agreed early. Ever since I saw Wippert rumoured to leave Cannondale (that was even before the sponsorship trouble appeared) I was wondering if it was because the team has secured a higher profile sprinter. Maybe my conclusion was right.
Now I'm quite relaxed about the team's prospects for 2018.

I'm rather surprised by Skujins leaving the team. I guess he has either signed with Trek during the period of uncertainty or Vaughters somehow managed to sign a lot of interesting riders despite the sponsorship trouble. We'll find out soon.

The Skujins departure also surprised me, but then again so did Mullen going to Trek. (Perhaps coincidentally, the two at least from their twitter feeds appear to be friends). My best guess is that Trek took advantage of Cannondale's near death experience to raid the team for useful, cheapish riders. I hope they haven't grabbed anyone else.

Cyclingfever had stated that Mullen would've left Cannondale before the sposnorship trouble occured so I don't think that was the case with him.

The EF's roster for 2018 is starting to shape up nicely. I wonder who will be the next signing announced. A lot of good riders from BMC are still not confirmed anywhere for next year. I think they can't offer deals beyond 2018? If so, Slipstream might take advantage of it.

Anderis said:
Who's left among young, promising riders from smaller American teams? Can't see many beyond Logan Owen.
Anderis said:
I'm thinking about Daniel McLay if procyclingstats is right about him being out of contract.
Not bad guesses from me. :lol:

Should I predict some more? Who's left? Aru? Dennis? Teuns? :D

It looks like the balance in the team will shift a bit towards the sprints now. Not sure it's the way I want the team to go but surely it's better to have good sprinters than average climbers and puncheurs. Maybe my interest in sprinting stages will be revitalised a bit as it has faded a lot since the times when Farrar was competitive.

I'm happy to see that the team has been able to secure some good signings despite all of the sponsorship troubles.

Re:

yaco said:
Unsure that Cannondale need both Modolo and McLay - Time will tell.

The world tour has some overlaps in it so if you want to take a sprinter to both (which I believe are mandatory for worldtour teams to attend?) then having 2 reliable if not worldclass sprinters at your disposal is not a bad thing.

Also both come from teams where they do not necessarily have trains to work form, so could be accommodated within a team to surf the wheels rather than require the dedicated leadout

Re:

yaco said:
Unsure that Cannondale need both Modolo and McLay - Time will tell.
McLay is yet to take a WT win so let's not pretend that EF will have a big problem with managing his and Modolo's ambitions. There are enough races in the calendar to provide chances for both, besides I can imagine McLay being simply used as a lead-out man to Modolo or as a domestique in flat/cobbled classics. If you want to be competitive on flat terrain, you need more than one rider who can do the job.

Zinoviev Letter said:
My best guess is that Trek took advantage of Cannondale's near death experience to raid the team for useful, cheapish riders. I hope they haven't grabbed anyone else.
They've completed their 2018 roster according to the news on cyclingnews main page so Cannondale won't lose any more riders to them. ;)

Anderis said:
Anderis said:
Who's left among young, promising riders from smaller American teams? Can't see many beyond Logan Owen.
Anderis said:
I'm thinking about Daniel McLay if procyclingstats is right about him being out of contract.
Not bad guesses from me. :lol:

Should I predict some more? Who's left? Aru? Dennis? Teuns? :D

It looks like the balance in the team will shift a bit towards the sprints now. Not sure it's the way I want the team to go but surely it's better to have good sprinters than average climbers and puncheurs. Maybe my interest in sprinting stages will be revitalised a bit as it has faded a lot since the times when Farrar was competitive.

I'm happy to see that the team has been able to secure some good signings despite all of the sponsorship troubles.

Dude - most excellent predictions - award of the year!

I think between Modolo, Van Asbroeck, Mclay and Sep Vanmarke they have a good set of sprinters for different conditions. Add in Langeveld, and Phinney and they could be well positioned for next springs classics. It is likely Kevin Vanmarke may have had some input about the new recruits as well, so they probably have a good plan.

Hopefully, they keep a little powder dry for next year when there may be even more riders on the market.

(I think Winner Anacona is a possibility for this year like you do).

Ken Vanmarcke seems to be doing a good job considering how particular classics riders have performed this year. Van Baarle and Bettiol are among the very best in their respective age groups, Lesser riders like Scully, Wippert and Clarke have all put at least one performance better than I had expected them to do before the season and Sep himself can suddenly sprint and get over hills on a WT level more competitively than ever before. Also Vaughters himself appears to have a good hand for cobbled riders, because he has been a personal coach of Van Baarle since last year and Langeveld since this year and it turned out to be a breaking point for both, unlike for Joe Dombrowski who is another rider coached by him. Prospects for flat races and cobbled classics are interesting for next year but I hugely regret losing Van Baarle, because with him EF would clearly be one of the 3 strongest teams for cobbled races IMO. But they still should be stronger than most with Vanmarcke, Langeveld and Modolo.

The rider announcements are flowing recently and there is a new one almost every day. I wonder if that is going to be continued today.

There's a void left by Bettiol and Slagter for races that are too hard for Modolo and Vanmarcke but not hard enough for Uran and Woods. I wonder if they can sign someone to fill it.

TRENDING THREADS