• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders EF Pro Cycling

Page 92 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
What happened to Chaves? He was supposed to ride for GC here.

The rest of the team didn't look stellar either but at least they still have 3 riders that could potentially finish between 8th-15th (8th will be tough, though) if it doesn't get worse from here. I thought I saw Uran dropped from the Roglic group in some weird circumstances like it was a mechanical or something but maybe I have mistaken him for tired Padun?

What happened to Chaves? He was supposed to ride for GC here.

The rest of the team didn't look stellar either but at least they still have 3 riders that could potentially finish between 8th-15th (8th will be tough, though) if it doesn't get worse from here. I thought I saw Uran dropped from the Roglic group in some weird circumstances like it was a mechanical or something but maybe I have mistaken him for tired Padun?

Chaves has not had the form or the mentality to ride for GC for the last three years.

He has definitely shown GC-worthy form in the Dauphine for example and as for the mentality I don't know but I swear I read somewhere he skipped TdF in order to prepare to ride the Vuelta for GC so that had to be based on something.

It seems the cold weather was an advantage for a few - and a problem for many.

The GC in the Vuelta can bounce around a lot.

Over the last years, 5th place has been - 11, 3, 5, 4, 7 minutes behind
likewise, 10th place has been - 22, 9, 22,11, 14 minutes behind

Getting into breaks - and clawing back time will be the difference.

At this point, it should be clear that EF really needs GC points from the Vuelta to avoid relegation - as Lotto will likely close the gap with 1.1 results.

Padun - looks strong for the first time since the beginning of the year - was it the weather or hopefully, he found his legs? This could bode well for a stage win.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Not taking Chaves to the Tour was the problem. It looks like he lost his form. Although the weather could have played a factor, you don't lose that much time if you have a decent form. Especially him.
Thank God finally someone saying it. Does someone have an idea why they took Owain Doull over him?
Edit: saw the post saying he chose to for the Vuelta... Well, the team should have known that his real good form before the TdF wouldn't last. He was golden at Mont Ventoux Challenge.

Thank God finally someone saying it. Does someone have an idea why they took Owain Doull over him?
Edit: saw the post saying he chose to for the Vuelta... Well, the team should have known that his real good form before the TdF wouldn't last. He was golden at Mont Ventoux Challenge.

Because history has shown that Chaves is not suited to the TDF ! He's last two TDF's for BEX he was employed as a stage hunter and he got into one break in 42 stages.

Because history has shown that Chaves is not suited to the TDF ! He's last two TDF's for BEX he was employed as a stage hunter and he got into one break in 42 stages.
That's quite interesting. Though he finished 13nd in GC at the TdF last year, and he's been inconsistent in the GC of the other Grand Tours as well if I go through PCS. Anyhow, what has passed has passed.

That's quite interesting. Though he finished 13nd in GC at the TdF last year, and he's been inconsistent in the GC of the other Grand Tours as well if I go through PCS. Anyhow, what has passed has passed.

The reason why he finished 13th was because his failure to get into breaks resulted in him holding on to the coat tails of the GC group. And then he was far enough of GC in the second half of the race to be allowed into breaks.

EF.png

A small bit of statistics from PCS. EF just keep delivering mediocrity this year.

The reason why he finished 13th was because his failure to get into breaks resulted in him holding on to the coat tails of the GC group. And then he was far enough of GC in the second half of the race to be allowed into breaks.
Yeah, the design of Tour mountain stages with nearly always a long section of flat makes it hard for him to enter the breakaway. You'd need at least 1 rouleur on the team to help him out to make the breakaway and to do the work on the flat afterwards. That said, it wouldn't have been impossible...

Reactions: yaco
Maybe the have also lost UCI points because of Covid over these last three seasons.

Well yeah no shiit, every single team lost points due to Covid, it's just an example of how Covid has *** up results the last years and definitely the last months.

Anwyays, Padun tanked time at the end today I think. Smart imo, he has the form to win a stage, now he's gonna get some freedom and it's probably the only shot to get into the top 10 for EF with the legs they have. Even tho you never know with Carthy, he can ride an awesome 3rd week out of nowhere.

I cannot believe that EF should be fighting for their WT life, and they cannot be bothered to send a team to a .PRO race when the calendar is so thin right now. I wonder if EF (the company) and Easy Post have assured the team that continued sponship is not dependent on WT status? In terms of action, the team has done little to suggest they are at all concerned about relegation.

• Wow
I cannot believe that EF should be fighting for their WT life, and they cannot be bothered to send a team to a .PRO race when the calendar is so thin right now. I wonder if EF (the company) and Easy Post have assured the team that continued sponship is not dependent on WT status? In terms of action, the team has done little to suggest they are at all concerned about relegation.

What .Pro race are you talking about? Cause I'm pretty sure they're riding basically every .Pro race, actually basically every one day race there is in September and October? Luxembourg is the only they're skipping I think and almost everyone is doing that as it's borderline impossible to ride Vuelta, Canada, Belgian races, Italian races and Luxembourg. Tour of Britain maybe, but I honestly don't think it's worth it to ride 8 days for 200 points when you they can be getting a huge amount of points in Canada if they send all their top guns there (which they are doing).

Anyways just like LTS they riding basically every one day race there is left this season which should be enough for them if they don't fail in Canada. If they do what they have to do they will be atleast 800 points clear in a weeks time.

Last edited:
What .Pro race are you talking about? Cause I'm pretty sure they're riding basically every .Pro race, actually basically every one day race there is in September and October? Luxembourg is the only they're skipping I think and almost everyone is doing that as it's borderline impossible to ride Vuelta, Canada, Belgian races, Italian races and Luxembourg. Tour of Britain maybe, but I honestly don't think it's worth it to ride 8 days for 200 points when you they can be getting a huge amount of points in Canada if they send all their top guns there (which they are doing).
They are not on the PCS start list for Tour of Britain.

• Wow
They are not on the PCS start list for Tour of Britain.

See my edit, I don't think it's worth it when you have such a good team for the Canadian races. They're also riding Vuelta, Maryland and Fourmies at the same time and need fit riders to ride a massive amount of one day races in Belgium and Italy right after those.

Who would you ride Britain with being EF? Of their (potential) point scorers Carthy, Uran, Padun & Chavez are in the Vuelta. Van Den Berg needs to ride Maryland and Fourmies and Bettiol, Cort, Guerreiro and Powless are perfect for the Canadian races.

It might be helpful to look at the upcoming race calendar on their website - they have about 20 races left.

However, it is true that they are scheduled to race 75 races this year, versus 73 for Bike Exchange, 76 for Movistar, or 68 for DSM, and 109 for Isreal Premier Tech.

Contrast that with Belgium, and French teams that have a homecourt advantage;

Intermarche - 119 races this year, Cofidis 109, Arkea 111, Lotto 97, Alpecin 90 , Total 90, and poorly Quick-Step 76 or

Not all of the races are created equal as some of the above are Stage races versus one day, however, excluding the GT, where 1/2/3rd have ok points, the others don't for stages. The data is subject to change and from another blog.

See my edit, I don't think it's worth it when you have such a good team for the Canadian races. They're also riding Vuelta, Maryland and Fourmies at the same time and need fit riders to ride a massive amount of one day races in Belgium and Italy right after those.

Who would you ride Britain with being EF? Of their (potential) point scorers Carthy, Uran, Padun & Chavez are in the Vuelta. Van Den Berg needs to ride Maryland and Fourmies and Bettiol, Cort, Guerreiro and Powless are perfect for the Canadian races.
Not sure what anyone’s form is like, but I think an in shape Sean Quinn could do well in Tour of Britain. I would send him and one of the four you mentioned for the Canadian races. Personally I think Guerrero. Somebody has to work, why waste potential point scorers as workers in desperate times? Both Guerrero and Quinn could top ten Britain.
That said, I hope you are right and they are well clear of relegation in a couple of months.

Are Padun and Van Den Berg even in EF’s top 10 on points scored?

• Wow