• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders EF Pro Cycling

Page 76 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Now EF are finally announcing some signings but they haven't announced a single contract extensions for a while. Only 12 2021 riders are confirmed to have a contract for 2022. I wonder who else will stay. I think based on current rumours it's going to be at least 10-12 new riders at EF so there won't be many spots left to re-sign current riders. Most of them have done little recently but at least Craddock, Owen and Van den Berg have done enough to warrant an extension IMO. But then you have Morton and Howes which might be kept for their alternative calendar and Nippo might want some Japanese riders onboard. There's also Caicedo capable of decent climbing every now and then albeit a bit inconsistent and there's Keukeleire who struggles to regain his old level after covid infection but at least he beautifully led out Cort to take a stage win during the Vuelta. Someone will not make the cut.

I also wonder if El Fares indeed has been given a 2 years deal. PCS has been wrong about such things in the past and it's a bit odd he got a multi year deal at such age without being anything special even in his prime years to begin with. But EF have a tertiary sponsor from France so maybe he is the choice of the sponsor.

Now EF are finally announcing some signings but they haven't announced a single contract extensions for a while. Only 12 2021 riders are confirmed to have a contract for 2022. I wonder who else will stay. I think based on current rumours it's going to be at least 10-12 new riders at EF so there won't be many spots left to re-sign current riders. Most of them have done little recently but at least Craddock, Owen and Van den Berg have done enough to warrant an extension IMO. But then you have Morton and Howes which might be kept for their alternative calendar and Nippo might want some Japanese riders onboard. There's also Caicedo capable of decent climbing every now and then albeit a bit inconsistent and there's Keukeleire who struggles to regain his old level after covid infection but at least he beautifully led out Cort to take a stage win during the Vuelta. Someone will not make the cut.

I also wonder if El Fares indeed has been given a 2 years deal. PCS has been wrong about such things in the past and it's a bit odd he got a multi year deal at such age without being anything special even in his prime years to begin with. But EF have a tertiary sponsor from France so maybe he is the choice of the sponsor.
If Delettre is signed I could see them not retaining El Fares if he has indeed only a one year contract.

Jul 28, 2021
Visit site
El Fares extended for a year. He does a good job as a road captain.
Morton also extended if we are to believe his insta sotory. From a sporting point of view, we can question his decision, but he brings so much to the team s communication that it becomes essential.
And very good victory for Valgren today, perfectly played tactically. Danish can end the year in a good way

Reactions: Sandisfan
Was about to dig up his rider thread but found out there isn't any!

First win since 2018.

Thanks. It's time to add him to Riders thread directory, I guess. :p

Some nice performances by the team since around Giro considering how weakened of a squad they have this year.

Today the worst EF rider was Uran in 47th position. Powless has rather unexpectedly developed into a very solid one-day racer.

Very much agree with this assessment. Their season is more impressive when you consider the troubles of Carthy, Higuita and Bettiol. After the spring classics, I was not optimistic. They’ve overperformed since in my opinion, despite their presumed leaders.

I've just realised that Valgren's extension is said to be for 2022. I assumed that he already was on a 2 year deal through 2022 and that what PCS was saying all along from the beginning. When I first read the news, I thought the extension was beyond 2022.

The length has not yet been disclosed, but the main part of the deal is probably that he's gotten a pay rise.

The length has not yet been disclosed, but the main part of the deal is probably that he's gotten a pay rise.
I think you rarely get a pay rise without something in return like extending the duration of the contract for example. Epsecially at a team that's a bit short on cash like EF. And Valgren was a relatively big name so I don't think he was earning peanuts and got a pay rise just because he won two small races.

I think you rarely get a pay rise without something in return like extending the duration of the contract for example. Epsecially at a team that's a bit short on cash like EF.

I suspect he took a quite pay cut when he joined the team, cause he was definitely worth more when he signed for NTT.
So I expect he might be earning a bit more from now on that what was agreed upon his initial contract, but probably not the same amount NTT paid him just yet. But of course I might be wrong.

I suspect he took a quite pay cut when he joined the team, cause he was definitely worth more when he signed for NTT.
So I expect he might be earning a bit more from now on that what was agreed upon his initial contract, but probably not the same amount NTT paid him just yet. But of course I might be wrong.
I think these assumptions make sense.

2018 was by far his most successful season so his 2019 contract was probably the biggest of his career so far. But he still had some results in 2019 and 2020 and he is that type of rider a big team would love to have to do some work for their leaders so no doubt he had some options for 2021 and I still think his initial EF contract was bigger than that of your average WT rider.

I've just realised that Valgren's extension is said to be for 2022. I assumed that he already was on a 2 year deal through 2022 and that what PCS was saying all along from the beginning. When I first read the news, I thought the extension was beyond 2022.
Judged by this tweet from JV (not that it is necessarily true), Valgren was originally on a one-year deal (my inference).

View: https://twitter.com/Vaughters/status/1438627284689166337

Maybe PCS was just aware for a long time that he had extended?

Reactions: Anderis
I'm actually not sure if the info was there before May so I can't tell. But I suppose it was because I seem to recall telling how Higuita was the only important rider not to get a contract extension by late spring.

I think PCS sometimes just assume a deal is at least 2 years long for riders it make sense to assume so. I remember they assumed Cardona's and Magnusson's deals were for 2 years too but they left after one year. In the case of those two riders I guess they assumed a neo-pro contract which is always 2 years AFAIK and I guess for Valgren- riders of his class under 30 years old rarely sign one year deals nowadays.

Judged by this tweet from JV (not that it is necessarily true), Valgren was originally on a one-year deal (my inference).

View: https://twitter.com/Vaughters/status/1438627284689166337

At least some people thought it was a two year deal all along, but I can't say who/what the original source was. The press release from EF at the time wasn't clear about it.

Jul 28, 2021
Visit site
He had a new long-term deal, probably until 2024 like Bettiol, Powless or even Carthy. Valgren confirmed on insta that he would stay with the team for a few more years. Carr also normally has to extend for a long time. EF secures its headlight riders and that's good news

He had a new long-term deal, probably until 2024 like Bettiol, Powless or even Carthy. Valgren confirmed on insta that he would stay with the team for a few more years. Carr also normally has to extend for a long time. EF secures its headlight riders and that's good news
With that crew I sure hope they’re able to perform better in the Spring Classics next year though EF have been great this year otherwise).

TRENDING THREADS