• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders EF Pro Cycling

Page 85 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
EF did not help themselves by only racing WT events in 2020 after the resumption of racing after the COVID lockdown - It also gave their some of their riders few race days in 2020.
Hindsight is 20/20.

By avoiding sending the team to smaller races, they may have prevented some COVID outbreaks within the team and had their best riders available for the big races, where they performed brilliantly. They were 10th in the team ranking in 2020, almost twice as many points as the 18th team.
It's 2022 where they should have scored more points, not 2020. It's humiliating how badly they're doing this year.

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan
Hindsight is 20/20.

By avoiding sending the team to smaller races, they may have prevented some COVID outbreaks within the team and had their best riders available for the big races, where they performed brilliantly. They were 10th in the team ranking in 2020, almost twice as many points as the 18th team.
It's 2022 where they should have scored more points, not 2020. It's humiliating how badly they're doing this year.

It's not a hindsight call - I posted the same in 2020 - You need to give all your riders the chance to race.

Yep, of the 5-6 worst WT teams this year, EF are IMO the biggest underperformer. Both DSM, Astana and IRT have really mediocre teams with maximum 3-4 riders that can collect some points. EF has on paper at least 6-7 riders of decent quality. But they are all underperforming this year. It is frightinh how weak they've performed.

What did they do, or not do, that they were expected to do in Norway?
Yesterday it looked like slapstick.
Basically there were a bunch of echelons.
Echolon 1 had most of Ineos and Remco + Rémi
Echolon 2 had EF, alongside some riders from Uno-X etc.
Echolon 3 had most Jumbo-Visma riders including Teunissen, Roosen etc.

At a certain point Echolon 3 must've caught up with Echolon 2. And a while later 5 Jumbo-Riders en 3 loners jumped from Echolon 2 to 1. EF somehow missed that split and let the Jumbo riders catch up with Evenpoel.

It's not a hindsight call - I posted the same in 2020 - You need to give all your riders the chance to race.

EF have had bad luck with injury and sickness this year. The unfortunate thing with Covid is that it hits some riders (people) much worse than others, really a lottery game. The effects can drag on easily for 12 months or more. The early research shows this in different ways.

Setting aside the injury/sickness issue, it seems that Lotto, Cofidis, Wanty etc. are hitting the .1/.pro one-day races as it is easier to get points by trying to jam the top ten against less competition. Between Early May and the end of July, Lotto, Cofidis, and Wanty have up to 17 one-day and a few stage non-WWT aces, versus 3 non-WWT stage races for EF. If you look at schedules you see that DSM, Movistar, EF, etc are not playing the max points game and are all racing a few races.

Put differently the points for the lesser races are likely too high.

I for one want to see a balance WWT with teams and riders from throughout the world. I am less interested in seeing teams with minor GC ambition, picking up results in regional races limited to certain European teams.

Perhaps there should be a regional territorial limit. I get that the registration can be deceptive.

I would rather see at least one team from Norway/Sweden/Denmark/Finland than another WWT team from Belgium,

In a similar vein, a real Italian team would be important. I get the questionable-rights countries are kind of Italian teams. Stating the obvious, China/Japan/Singapore/Indonesia/India are huge markets, I would rather see another team from there, or north-south America, or a team from the eastern bloc, or Austria, Switzerland, etc.

There is no way that Vino should be involved with the sport at this point - given everything (not to mention being married to Ms. Lavrov daughter of the Russian foreign minister.)

Reactions: yaco
Setting aside the injury/sickness issue, it seems that Lotto, Cofidis, Wanty etc. are hitting the .1/.pro one-day races as it is easier to get points by trying to jam the top ten against less competition. Between Early May and the end of July, Lotto, Cofidis, and Wanty have up to 17 one-day and a few stage non-WWT aces, versus 3 non-WWT stage races for EF. If you look at schedules you see that DSM, Movistar, EF, etc are not playing the max points game and are all racing a few races.
Wanty may be riding a lot of smaller races, but if EF had as good results as Wanty in big races this year, that alone would've made them totally safe from relegation.

Last edited:
Reactions: Monte Serra
Bissegger is not on the PCS start list for the tour. I know things change, but Vaughters most definitely stated on the Bobby and Jens podcast that a goal was for Bissegger to take yellow on the opening TT of the tour? Anyone know if these plans have changed or if PCS just needs updated? I know the team has been wrecked by illness/injury?

• Wow
Bissegger is not on the PCS start list for the tour. I know things change, but Vaughters most definitely stated on the Bobby and Jens podcast that a goal was for Bissegger to take yellow on the opening TT of the tour? Anyone know if these plans have changed or if PCS just needs updated? I know the team has been wrecked by illness/injury?

I wouldn't trust the TdF start list too much at this stage (especially not the EF roster), but it might be worrying that PCS removed him from the start list for Tour de Suisse yesterday. In his last IG post from May 22 he was on training camp in Andorra to prepare for the TdS, but something could have happened since then, of course

There is no way that Vino should be involved with the sport at this point - given everything (not to mention being married to Ms. Lavrov daughter of the Russian foreign minister.)

Wait, what? Really? And UCI haven't sanctioned him yet?
I mean, it is well known that when you get married you automatically support everything your spouse's parents do so I really don't know what is UCI waiting... it's... it's disgraceful

Oh wait, it's not even the same Vino... maybe you should check your facts before spouting bs fake info on a public forum, FFS

TRENDING THREADS