• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders EF Pro Cycling

Page 88 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Guerreiro give a interview to a portuguese site, and says that Uran and above all Powless goes for GC, he goes for stage hunting, but he would like to not lose to much time and try to be up on GC also.

So i agree that the team need one more climber on that roster, but Chaves may be needed on other races because of points. Maybe Padun or Eiking...
This kinda surprised me. Are you saying that Powless is their number one for the GC? I read an interview last month where they were saying they wanted to take it easy with him regarding GC amibitions.

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan
This kinda surprised me. Are you saying that Powless is their number one for the GC? I read an interview last month where they were saying they wanted to take it easy with him regarding GC amibitions.
You mean they learned something from pushing Higuita, then let him go? Neilson is a smart guy and came up through good exposure prior to EF and should know what he's capable of. He's got climbing capabilities close to Kuss and won't need to be held back. He's a good second stage to Uran's diesel grind for those stages that other teams want to destroy the field.

You mean they learned something from pushing Higuita, then let him go? Neilson is a smart guy and came up through good exposure prior to EF and should know what he's capable of. He's got climbing capabilities close to Kuss and won't need to be held back. He's a good second stage to Uran's diesel grind for those stages that other teams want to destroy the field.
Yeah, I found the interview I mentioned. It was with Wegelius and he's actually saying... well nothing much really. He does mention the CG would come a bit early for him but then again, team management would say that about any young rider especially when you want to give him free reign in the TdF to minimise pressure/attention.

Here's the interview btw: https://www.velonews.com/news/road/...progress-before-grand-tour-ambitions-develop/

I always hate to see Powless used as a dom since he's such a brave (maybe a bit mindless, but I love it), attacking rider, never afraid to do the work, usually the first to try and go with an attacker, attacking himself... If he rides for himself he can light up races. Also I like him a lot more as a one day racer than riding for GC, which a team might see differently since he's a good climber as well as a good time trialer...

When EF finally release their TdF roster, at this tempo they might send no one to the tour

giphy.gif

• Haha
Well, the Bissegger plan didn't work out...
Agreed. In keeping with the theme this season. And as he was an early starter, EF’s big plans end about 10 minutes after the tour starts. Coupled with Uran finishing dead last among GC riders and you really couldn’t have a worse start.
That said, I expect Cort, Guerrero and Powless will be blown off the bridge tomorrow- thus ending any hope for EF having a decent tour after two days.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Rather sad day for EF… Bissegger surprised me. He‘s normally a good bike handler. Today, he crashed twice, in the rain - over 13.2 kms.

If he hadn‘t had bad luck, he could‘ve won this. He will be a little bit sad, this evening. But no time for grieving all that much. He‘ll get new opportunities soon, to show what engine he has…
I haven’t heard anyone else mention this, so maybe it’s a non-issue, but I wonder how soon after it started raining that Bissenger left the start house? Typically conditions are slickest when first starts because it mixes with residue on the road surface. Although there probably wasn’t much normal vehicle traffic on these roads the past few days!

Except today he managed to close the gap to the pack for Uran. That part worked out.
I doubt Uran being in danger of being the only GC guy to lose time was part of the plan, though.

That said, I expect Cort, Guerrero and Powless will be blown off the bridge tomorrow- thus ending any hope for EF having a decent tour after two days.
LOL, wasn't far from the truth.

Who was that EF rider who fell with Lampaert? Looked like a solid hit.

I doubt Uran being in danger of being the only GC guy to lose time was part of the plan, though.

LOL, wasn't far from the truth.

Who was that EF rider who fell with Lampaert? Looked like a solid hit.
The official "barraging" that EF put up with was bullsh*t. They actually motorpaced the Yellow jersey to the front and left the remaining guys to literally twist in the wind.

Bettiol cost Powless the jersey today. What was he thinking? He was the only EF rider in the group when he drilled it on the cobbles, I think.
Maybe a bit questionable tactics from Bettiol to put his nose in the wind for no good reason but I don't think he cost Powless the jersey in the end. The jersey was ultimately determined by how fast the Vingegaard's group was going and there was always going to be accelerations on each cobbled sector as everybody wants to be at the front, I don't think he gained the group 13-14 secons there.

It will be a scandal if Cort doesn't get the combative award in Paris.

If Powless is going for GC, then this stage ended up much better than I had expected for EF.

TRENDING THREADS