• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Effects of coronavirus on professional races

Page 7 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Edit: the first results of the counter analysis for those teams came in last night by the way, and they were all negative. Not all tests are completed yet though, and personally I think it's fairly obvious (and correct) that they stay quarantined until then
there are some more information about it on Stefano Rizzato's Twitter. Apparently a team refused to leave the hotel when they were supposed to be taken to hospital for additional tests, which caused some further delays

They pretty much have to if their boss/sponsor is calling the shots.
Looks like the authorities are trying really hard to find something so that they won't lose their face.

This. It’s getting more and more clear that there haven’t been any positive cases, including the 2 initial cases reported. A few riders are even saying they’ve been informed as such (already days ago). The UAE team staying is clearly a sign of support towards the local authorities. It’s really vague now, no communication, nothing. They’re trying to avoid the unavoidable. It’s all very intriguing actually..They’re double, triple testing riders..holding journalists hostage until today..The UAE team staying unnecessarily. Why aren’t the local authorities, the UCI and RCS communicating anymore? What’s next? Will they “sacrifice“ a UAE team person to save face ? :D

Reactions: Joelsim
Two Russians, two Italians, a German and a Colombian in the UAE Tour are reported to have tested positive for covid-19.

Of the four teams that remained in quarantine there, the only Colombian rider on their race rosters was Gaviria. But it's possible that the COVID-19 positive Colombian was not a rider, but other team member. I also didn't see a German listed on any of those 4 teams race rosters.

Of the four teams that remained in quarantine there, the only Colombian rider on their race rosters was Gaviria. But it's possible that the COVID-19 positive Colombian was not a rider, but other team member. I also didn't see a German listed on any of those 4 teams race rosters.

I could be wrong but after checking the 4 teams’ websites, Gaviria is the only Colombian, riders, staff, management included.

Don't tell me that a spectator can transmit the virus to a passing rider...

Unless he happens to sneeze him in the face or something like that.

It's a national and international emergency, the Italian government is doing whatever they think is necessary to contain the spreading of the virus so it's not about Giuseppe or Gianni sneezing on Van der Poel.

It's a national and international emergency, the Italian government is doing whatever they think is necessary to contain the spreading of the virus so it's not about Giuseppe or Gianni sneezing on Van der Poel.

And that’s the bigger picture, it would only take 1 person in a large crowd to be infected and the risk of hundreds catching the virus is huge.

I see the good will to stop this virus. But I honestly don't see how it can be contained like this. I mean, there have been many confirmed cases here in Germany and nonetheless in the past week I have sat in trains full of passengers, have been close to strangers whose personal hygiene measures I don't know... I had to. I don't think that will change. It sure is a good thing to take certain precautions - for instance cancelling the book fair in Leipzig, though that is closer linked to my livelihood than a bike race - I can understand that. But a bike race? Where crowds can be limited at the start and the finish, told not to come... of course there will be people, hardcore fans who don't care - but is their getting together in fresh air in Italy (like, Siena) really more dangerous than trains, buses in Germany? Something just doesn't add up there. I mean, I'm trying to be sympathetic to the measures taken, but they seem kind of... almost random to me. And that makes me suspect it's mostly to show some "strength" and to avoid being held responsible, though I'm trying to suppress that view.

TRENDING THREADS