• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Effects of coronavirus on professional races

Page 8 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Six new positives in the hotel. This is like the Diamond Princess in miniature. Not only are the teams not allowed to leave, but the longer they stay, the more at risk individuals become. My advice to the riders would be to stay in your room all the time. But as long as some don't, there may be new positives at every new testing, which means everyone has to stay for yet another round.

Reactions: shalgo and Nirvana
Six new positives in the hotel. This is like the Diamond Princess in miniature. Not only are the teams not allowed to leave, but the longer they stay, the more at risk individuals become. My advice to the riders would be to stay in your room all the time. But as long as some don't, there may be new positives at every new testing, which means everyone has to stay for yet another round.

For me this is also why they needed to evacuate as many of the people staying there as they could before it got even worse.

Reactions: claude cat
I see the good will to stop this virus. But I honestly don't see how it can be contained like this. I mean, there have been many confirmed cases here in Germany and nonetheless in the past week I have sat in trains full of passengers, have been close to strangers whose personal hygiene measures I don't know... I had to. I don't think that will change. It sure is a good thing to take certain precautions - for instance cancelling the book fair in Leipzig, though that is closer linked to my livelihood than a bike race - I can understand that. But a bike race? Where crowds can be limited at the start and the finish, told not to come... of course there will be people, hardcore fans who don't care - but is their getting together in fresh air in Italy (like, Siena) really more dangerous than trains, buses in Germany? Something just doesn't add up there. I mean, I'm trying to be sympathetic to the measures taken, but they seem kind of... almost random to me. And that makes me suspect it's mostly to show some "strength" and to avoid being held responsible, though I'm trying to suppress that view.

That was also my point - albeit delivered much less eloquently.

All the actions are to limit the peak number of active cases so that the healthcare system can handle those. Otherwise the fatality rate will increase considerably due to healthcare unavailability as seen in China and Iran. More Draconian measures may be required if the fatality rate is high like Ebola or Plague and/or a cure is not available. I am sure that all models are available on this as well but the problem is that the more draconian the measure the more the economy will shrink and the more discontent among the people. It is the same reason why China delayed its response. Also u can see the discontent in the people who are locked up in the hotel. Somebody has already mention the Diamond princess experiment from which it is clear that close contact especially repeatedly is really bad.

All the actions are to limit the peak number of active cases so that the healthcare system can handle those. Otherwise the fatality rate will increase considerably due to healthcare unavailability as seen in China and Iran.

I thought there was no cure.

I really don't get why grown-up people can't suffer through an illness at home. I have literally never sought medical help because of an influenza-like disease.

The excessive hype of this disease is what brings people to the hospitals, and that's why they get crowded and have difficulties handling the situation.

I'm not surprised. Yesterday Vaughters said that if the riders didn't want to go they wouldn't have to go. Sounds like the riders don't want to go and he's holding up what he said.

I really don't think it has anything to do with the riders. Vaughters apparently "got schooled" by a healthcare professional on Twitter in two tweets and now thinks he can save the world by withdrawing his team from the races.

I really don't get why grown-up people can't suffer through an illness at home. I have literally never sought medical help because of an influenza-like disease.

The excessive hype of this disease is what brings people to the hospitals, and that's why they get crowded and have difficulties handling the situation.

For most people I have no idea. It would be an issue for my sister, but she has several health issues including an auto-immune disease.

If you are one of the 80% who have mild symptoms, you can probably get through it at home fine. If you are one of the 20% who have severe or critical symptoms, such as not being able to breathe without a respirator, and incipient major organ failure, then yes, you need to be in a hospital.

Reactions: shalgo

But it’s not just a case of grown up people suffering from the virus at home should people catch it. There are elderly people or those with much weaker immune systems or respiratory problems who can die, and that’s not excessive hype.

You're vastly underestimating the problem. I know for a fact that people with acute symptoms can't be treated in the hospitals of the red area because of lack of beds.

It's not just a case of people overreacting. The italian health system would collapse without measures to delay the virus peak.

Two Russians, two Italians, a German and a Colombian in the UAE Tour are reported to have tested positive for covid-19.

Nobody likes to die.

You're vastly underestimating the problem. I know for a fact that people with acute symptoms can't be treated in the hospitals of the red area because of lack of beds.

It's not just a case of people overreacting. The italian health system would collapse without measures to delay the virus peak.
Italian authorities are the first to not take it seriously...

Reactions: ThePirate81
So there are now 12 positives from the UAE Tour, according to Gazzetta, 4 riders: 2 Russians, 1 Italian and 1 Colombian. All are in hospital but none are ‘bad’.

The teams of UAE, Gazprom, FDJ and Cofidis must stay in isolation for at least another week, until March 14th.

If true, then Gaviria is definitely one positive case.

Vaughters is a joke. Once again showing his hypocrite side we all know so well. First trying to support the races "blabla, we will definitely go to Italy, all part of the risk". Then he saw the shitstorm coming and completely changed his opinion, of course not without mentioning the glorious EF sponsor :rolleyes:
From 'it's all part of the risks' to 'we are a responsible team' is just peak Vaughters. Purely a PR thing, Vaughters isn't dumb, it is all well thought trough. Now people are celebrating him as if he was the saviour of pro cycling and the only person with morals ...

Reactions: LaFlorecita
Italian authorities are the first to not take it seriously...
I'm not arguing the italian authorities are doing everything right. They aren't.
But to think this is only a case of collective hysteria is naive. Hospitals are sending home whoever doesn't show acute symptoms and yet in some areas there are not enough beds for serious cases.

As for the races, I have no idea what they will come up with. The scientific committee's proposal is pretty clear. No sport events should be held if the authorities can't enforce the minimun distance of 1mt between people. There is no way you can enforce this measure over the 200+ km route of a cycling race. So I believe they would need an exemption, which is possible but shouldn't be taken for granted given the situation.

TRENDING THREADS