• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Effects of coronavirus on professional races

Page 22 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Im pretty sure the other teams riding P-N don't have positive cases.
You don’t get it. It is standard practice throughout the world to self isolate for 14 days if exposed to COVID19 virus even if you test negative. Riders from the UAE tour should not be exempt. It’s a big fail by the toothless tiger the UCI. Have posted earlier that every rider in the peloton should be tested every week.

Reactions: Fus087

Lefevere really needs to go. Every year he is talking more and more made up ****.

You don’t get it. It is standard practice throughout the world to self isolate for 14 days if exposed to COVID19 virus even if you test negative. Riders from the UAE tour should not be exempt. It’s a big fail by the toothless tiger the UCI. Have posted earlier that every rider in the peloton should be tested every week.
In Germany they tell you in that case to work at the home office. If that is not possible you have to come to work. Not everyone who had contact with infected person has to isolate himself. Thats the official statement here (governement institution) The authorities decide every case.
Seems to be the same in France otherwise Paris-Nice wouldn't happen.

Lefevere really needs to go. Every year he is talking more and more made up ****.
I can't *** stand that man.

Reactions: tobydawq
In Germany they tell you in that case to work at the home office. If that is not possible you have to come to work. Not everyone who had contact with infected person has to isolate himself. Thats the official statement here (governement institution) The authorities decide every case.
Seems to be the same in France otherwise Paris-Nice wouldn't happen.

But riding in a race within 14 days of being exposed to the virus is not smart thinking. There is nothing wrong with PN happening.

England's Deputy Chief Medical Officer, Dr Harries said cancelling big outdoor events like football matches would not necessarily be a decision supported by science.
“The virus will not survive very long outside,” she said. “Many outdoor events, particularly, are relatively safe.”

Not a view I've heard widely expressed?

England's Deputy Chief Medical Officer, Dr Harries said cancelling big outdoor events like football matches would not necessarily be a decision supported by science.
“The virus will not survive very long outside,” she said. “Many outdoor events, particularly, are relatively safe.”

Well, the primary reason that viruses generally are not as prevalent in summer is that people are outside and not confined in small spaces where they contaminate each other. So I've heard at least.

Latest researches I've read suggest it can survive in the air for up to 30 minutes.

Mass events in Belgium will not be forbidden for the time being, but are 'advised against'. This does not go for outdoor events though. I think this is a fair consideration: you always have to imagine what happens when you take measures what this causes exactly. For example: football fans that are not allowed in stadiums may go watch the game in a pub --> many people indoor = higher chance of contagion. So then the measure may turn out to be counterproductive.

I think its time to start calming down. The scare is becoming worse than the disease. In Australia we have stories of women fighting over toilet rolls in the supermarket! Ridiculous, time to get a grip. :(

For healthy and fit people the risks of this virus is negligible based upon what we know. Most who fall ill will get no more than a bad cold. This includes professional cyclists in the peloton. Some will have mild or no symptoms at all. COVID19 effects the elderly most. This is opposite of the Spanish flu which also affected the young. Plus the onset of warmer weather in Europe will help.

As for crowds, for events like PN crowds are not all confined into a small space like a footfall stadium. There is room to avoid the breath of fellow spectators. Let the show go on !:)

Reactions: JosephK
Not sure you have thought about the implications and consequences of either the virus or spectatorship.

Being a spectator doesnt just involve being spread out on a mountain side. It involves staying in hotels, eating in restaurants, using public transport. It it in olves mass movement of people.

And the virus? Might not affect you too much if you are young, but 5% of cases need intensive care beds, and if they dont get it they die.

Guess what, there arent enough intensive care beds to cater for an outbreak. Dont believe me? Look at what has happened in northern italy. Their public health care system has collapsed. Doctors are deciding who lives and who dies.

Get it yet?

Reactions: Andy262
Gonna be a pretty weird year anyway now. Smaller races will just be cancelled all-together. They wont reschedule.

Only the really big ones they might reschedule for later in the season. It would be hard to reschedule any of the GTs though, but hopefully the insane part of this will calm down in the next few weeks/months. But who knows. We might see an alarming amount of cases pop up and then its a wrap. Countries must be able to function. If everybody is being told to stay at home for a couple weeks and things shutdown, then thats it. Then it is weeks/months until things get back to normal.

I think its time to start calming down. The scare is becoming worse than the disease. In Australia we have stories of women fighting over toilet rolls in the supermarket! Ridiculous, time to get a grip. :(

For healthy and fit people the risks of this virus is negligible based upon what we know. Most who fall ill will get no more than a bad cold. This includes professional cyclists in the peloton. Some will have mild or no symptoms at all. COVID19 effects the elderly most. This is opposite of the Spanish flu which also affected the young. Plus the onset of warmer weather in Europe will help.

As for crowds, for events like PN crowds are not all confined into a small space like a footfall stadium. There is room to avoid the breath of fellow spectators. Let the show go on !:)

I am happy for races to go ahead. All I am stating is it is standard practise to self isolate for 14 days if exposed to the virus. For example all the journalists from the UAE tour have self isolated.

Football games have been cancelled, rescheduled or being played without spectators in a bunch of countries. Tourism is being stopped, there are massive economic consequences. Pro cycling is nothing compared to other things going on right now, no politician will stick their necks out to keep the races going with all the logistics that are necessary, not even the Giro, the Tour or Roubaix.

I think the panic is slightly disproportionate, but realistically, I can't see any of the races after P-N taking place.

Football games have been cancelled, rescheduled or being played without spectators in a bunch of countries. Tourism is being stopped, there are massive economic consequences. Pro cycling is nothing compared to other things going on right now, no politician will stick their necks out to keep the races going with all the logistics that are necessary, not even the Giro, the Tour or Roubaix.

I think the panic is slightly disproportionate, but realistically, I can't see any of the races after P-N taking place.
Sadly I agree.

Well, the primary reason that viruses generally are not as prevalent in summer is that people are outside and not confined in small spaces where they contaminate each other. So I've heard at least.

I don't think that's the primary reason. About 2 thirds down this article: https://www.straitstimes.com/asia/e...robiologist-yuen-kwok-yung-who-helped-confirm

....for example, when we do animal experiments on influenza virus, its toxicity in animals placed in 15 degrees Celsius (59 degree Fahrenheit) will be 10 times higher than in those in 25 degrees Celsius.

Also, looking at how cases developed, my part of the world (SE Asia) had cases early on due to frequent traffic with China, but the number of confirmed cases, hospitalizations and deaths have not increased like in cooler areas.

Edit to add... I'm not not sure what that will mean for the cycling calendar in Europe. The virus might be more under control in the summer but there's a good chance that next year's spring calendar will be in jeopardy, too. And cyclocross?

Reactions: tobydawq

TRENDING THREADS