• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Effects of coronavirus on professional races

Page 20 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
They got tested for it and even got an attest that says they were negative. You could say they are safer than riders who weren't there.

Everyone who has close contact with a positive case throughout the world is self isolated or quarantined for 14 days for monitoring. This is another failure of leadership by the UCI. At least the UAE authorities learnt from the Diamond Princess fiasco and immediately released people who tested negative to stop its further spread in the hotel.

Everyone who has close contact with a positive case throughout the world is self isolated or quarantined for 14 days for monitoring. This is another failure of leadership by the UCI. At least the UAE authorities learnt from the Diamond Princess fiasco and immediately released people who tested negative to stop its further spread in the hotel.

Except for the people who are currently still stuck…

---

Except for the people who are currently still stuck…

---

My point stands. They only kept back teams who were on the same floor as infected riders. This is standard practice when infections occur in multi level buildings. Some jurisdictions may have been even more cautious and quarantined the floor below and above. And the UCI have shown no leadership in this matter.

Finally no riders or staff should be at PN or Strade Bianche and TA if they went ahead.

The UCI did the right thing. Let the authorities decide. Overreaction hurts people more then the virus itself.
If some teams are too afraid it's ok and they can stay at home. There are poeple who are not afraid of quarantine. They are free to travel as long as authorities allow that.

Reactions: Cookster15
Wonder if this could have an effect in terms of rankings. If I'm not mistaken the current top-3 is Roglic, Fuglsang, and Bernal. However, since neither of them are racing in the foreseeable future Alaphilippe - in fourth - could leapfrog them during Paris-Nice.
And of course, at the end of the year whoever wins the ranking will be whoever manages to not get stuck anywhere.

Looking only to countries with races in the coming weeks:

949 cases in France last update, so 336 new cases compared to yesterday.

516 cases in Spain (+151).

169 cases in Belgium (+60).

Reactions: SafeBet
As of right now Spain is allowing amateur events to continue to take place. even with the increase in number of cases.
It's not only Spain, i have criticized a lot Italian authorities for their laxness but also other countries don't look better in managing the situation, football matches are still open doors almost everywhere in Europe, in France they didn't even try to lock the towns of the original clusters and now their rise in cases after a week they were discovered look even faster than the one there was in Italy a week after the discovery of their original clusters.

Reactions: Joelsim
It's not only Spain, i have criticized a lot Italian authorities for their laxness but also other countries don't look better in managing the situation, football matches are still open doors almost everywhere in Europe, in France they didn't even try to lock the towns of the original clusters and now their rise in cases after a week they were discovered look even faster than the one there was in Italy a week after the discovery of their original clusters.

In the US everything there are some festivals that have been cancelled and things like that, but sporting events are continuing although the NBA did issue a memo to teams put plans in place to play games without fans or media. However, I suspect they would still need a camera crew for the games.

In the US everything there are some festivals that have been cancelled and things like that, but sporting events are continuing although the NBA did issue a memo to teams put plans in place to play games without fans or media. However, I suspect they would still need a camera crew for the games.

MLB doing very little things, like encouraging players to avoid physical interaction with fans. E.g., instead of signing autographs, teams will give out pre-signed items. Some teams are also restricting access of reporters or scouts from S. Korea, Italy and Iran (I didn't know they played or followed baseball in Iran). It's pretty obvious, though, that whatever the rationale is for restricting access to people from these countries, it will soon apply to many other countries.

Reactions: Koronin
MLB doing very little things, like encouraging players to avoid physical interaction with fans. E.g., instead of signing autographs, teams will give out pre-signed items. Some teams are also restricting access of reporters or scouts from S. Korea, Italy and Iran (I didn't know they played or followed baseball in Iran). It's pretty obvious, though, that whatever the rationale is for restricting access to people from these countries, it will soon apply to many other countries.

If I remember NASCAR's response correctly it was to increase the amount of soap and hand sanitizer (and likely medical staff) at races. I suspect drivers won't do autograph sessions, however the regular TV media is still in the pits with the teams and drivers. As far as fans getting into the paddock area, that's virtually impossible without knowing someone in a team anyway so that won't be hard to reduce.

It does appear that cutting autograph sessions and limiting player contact with fans is the step most organizations have taken at this point.

Where are the facts? Million cases? When? This year? In the next 10 years? How do you know? At the moment there are 107.000 official cases and 60.000 are recovered. In China active cases are going down rapidly. In Europe the cases will be going up, but there will be a peak and then it will start decreasing.
Of course the situation is bad, but telling everyone that things will be cancelled 100% and that the virus will not stop is just wrong. Look at China. It's not going on forever.

The real question what will happen when spring kicks in. It could be that would soften the blow for this 'season'.

On the other hand, I think the biggest worry is it becomes endemic with chances of mutating into something more deadly before we have a lot of partial immunity in the population.

Reactions: Joelsim
And as "deadly" as this is, if we compare it to the flu, we don't have any sort of immunity against this. This would be a lot less bad if we had. And in that sense, this could be a LOT worse seeing as viruses from the same family have had mortality rates north of 10%.

The real question what will happen when spring kicks in. It could be that would soften the blow for this 'season'.

On the other hand, I think the biggest worry is it becomes endemic with chances of mutating into something more deadly before we have a lot of partial immunity in the population.
I don't know if that's a massive concern from what I've read (not that I'm in any way qualified to comment). As far as I know the general idea is that wider transmission and different conditions/environments tend to weaken viruses if anything.

The main concern seems more likely to be the responses of authorities. Decades of cuts to resources don't exactly put most places in the best position to handle this. As for the US, who knows what could happen there.