• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Effects of coronavirus on professional races

Page 36 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Are cycling teams really more international than football clubs? Definitely not compared to clubs in the biggest leages.

The ASO Tour / Vuelta thing got me thinking. RCS runs both Milano-Sanremo and Il Lombardia. Why not run both the same day?
I think the koolest would be run them on the same course going opposite directions. When the pelotons pass each other on the road, it would symbolize the coming together of humanity to defeat the virus. But I guess Como and Sanremo are too far away from each other. Instead maybe start both races at the same time from some place like Torino and then send them in their respective directions?

My kind of man, very DIY!

My only questions would be whether these are acceptable to use in terms of safety in an actual hospital setting - like those N95s have to have an official seal of approval before you use and rely on them, but those questions I should probably direct to Adam himself.

Otherwise, love what the man is trying to do here. Absolutely! :cool:

Reactions: del1962
My kind of man, very DIY!

My only questions would be whether these are acceptable to use in terms of safety in an actual hospital setting - like those N95s have to have an official seal of approval before you use and rely on them, but those questions I should probably direct to Adam himself.

Otherwise, love what the man is trying to do here. Absolutely! :cool:
As long as the masks have an adequate seal, the main issue is quality and availability of filters.

What I like is the ability to replace the filter, because there are shortages of N95 masks in many countries.

Velon will organise a digital Tour de Suisse from April 22 till April 26: https://www.velon.cc/news/2020/3/26/worlds-best-professional-teams-gear-up-for-the-digital-swiss-5

One race per day, each race approximately 1 hour, on various parts of the Tour de Suisse parcours.

Three riders per team will compete at home on their smart trainers with live data displayed (speed, power and cadence) and some will even have webcams so viewers can see their faces.

I am curious to see if this will be interesting and enjoyable to watch for fans. :)

Reactions: Joelsim
Velon will organise a digital Tour de Suisse from April 22 till April 26: https://www.velon.cc/news/2020/3/26/worlds-best-professional-teams-gear-up-for-the-digital-swiss-5

One race per day, each race approximately 1 hour, on various parts of the Tour de Suisse parcours.

Three riders per team will compete at home on their smart trainers with live data displayed (speed, power and cadence) and some will even have webcams so viewers can see their faces.

I am curious to see if this will be interesting and enjoyable to watch for fans. :)
The benefit for Dumoulin would be being able to go to the toilet at home.

Froome might want to be very careful. A 48 year old male nurse died in NY from C!9 recently. Most data suggest it's very rate for someone of this age to die from the virus, and this may just be an exceptional case. But younger people are at risk if they have some other condition, and this man had asthma, which obviously would complicate treatment of a respiratory disease.

In the United States the Tour of California is officially skipping a year. Redlands Bicycle Classic still has it's web page up but w the current momentum cancellation looks likely.. Gila? Tour of Utah? Probably a more broken dysfunctional schedule than the previous broken down schedule. Can hardly imagine small squads surviving this..
And SW US bread and butter criteriums either not announced at all or cancelled catastrophic for the tiny fragile underfunded US cycling scene

That's been known for a while now.
my bad sorry for including the ToC in the overall mosaic of U.S. .racing.
version 2.
U.S. racing is trashed this year but not the Amgen Tour of California,they are fine because it was announced early..any hold outs..late announcement race directors should announce now or be doubly doomed.

my bad sorry for including the ToC in the overall mosaic of U.S. .racing.
version 2.
U.S. racing is trashed this year but not the Amgen Tour of California,they are fine because it was announced early..any hold outs..late announcement race directors should announce now or be doubly doomed.

I disagree. Races like California that had financial problems pre-COVID-19 will have even more problems after. Also, smaller races can be flexible about if/when to cancel or reschedule because there is less money and people involved. Even more so for NE races because they would only need to fit into the National calendar vs fitting into the UCI Regional calendar.

Mar 29, 2020
Visit site
What do you guys think of Worldies going as planned? I was planning to watch the final stage of Giro, which was a ITT, in Milan but impeded by Covid-19. Due to extraordinary circumstances i was given a right to reschedule my reservation. Then i decided to visit Geneva for ITT in Worldies. But with rumours circulating that its dates could be pulled to a subsequent period, i am afraid that it really can be postponed or canceled at all.

What do you guys think of Worldies going as planned? I was planning to watch the final stage of Giro, which was a ITT, in Milan but impeded by Covid-19. Due to extraordinary circumstances i was given a right to reschedule my reservation. Then i decided to visit Geneva for ITT in Worldies. But with rumours circulating that its dates could be pulled to a subsequent period, i am afraid that it really can be postponed or canceled at all.

Well, at least if any racing is going to happen this year - and I suppose it is - Worlds are a race that should go on. One day, huge importance, rather late in the year. It wouldn't be nice on Mads Pedersen, but I don't know if that will be the decisive factor...

On the other hand teams' sponsors won't be so eager to make it happen, since riders would be in their country's colours.

Okay, no idea. But I tend to say it will go through.

I wouldn't make any reservations right now if I were you (if that's even possible anyway). My personal, uneducated, guess if the World Championships happen would be 25% maybe.

Reactions: Joelsim

TRENDING THREADS