• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Effects of coronavirus on professional races

Page 46 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Actually if you read the fine print of the announcement it makes me more confident the TDF will go ahead - The TDF was always going to be a closed event with limited amount of spectators at the start and finish, so it's up to the ASO to follow the rules - I will add that if the French authorities want to resume this kind of activity on September 1, they'll make a three day exemption for the TDF - The French announcement has no relevance to events outside of France.

Reactions: RedheadDane
Spain is extending their current lock down until the end of May. There are some cyclists currently asking about the lifting of restrictions for this weekend and if they will be able to start riding outside again. They don't appear to be clear on exactly what the exact rules are on the restrictions being lifted for this coming weekend are.

I thought Spanish riders could go and train outside starting May 15th. In Italy earlier.

There appears to be a lot of confusion over who can do what and what is or isn't allowed starting this weekend in Spain. There is some restriction being lifted for outdoor exercise this weekend for adults, but it appears to be vague. There has been questions asked without a response yet.

Reactions: pastronef
Interesting that Italy is allowing you to ride outside again. But to me the ban on outside riding was knee jerk and ineffective anyway. Looking at Italy and Spain's virus stats, there is still a very large number of new cases being recorded - not sure if that is simply due to more testing? France is looking much better but still not sure if its a good idea to run the Tour. Going back to the 2018 Spanish Flu, the dreaded 2nd wave was caused by circumstances of the fist world war. But relaxing restrictions too soon could also trigger a 2nd wave of infections. I hope for the best whatever happens but there are still huge risks and IMO until these subside the best course of action is to skip the Grand Tours this season.

As for sports coming back, it appears all eyes are on NASCAR as the guinea pig. They are going to attempt to start racing in May. Two races in Darlington, SC and two races in Charlotte, NC. Charlotte is where most of the teams are based and Darlington is about a 2 hour drive. They will be doing Sunday and Wednesday races at both. No fans allowed and pits stops won't be "live". Meaning caution for pit stops and you reenter the track in the order you came off the track. This is supposed to cut down on the number of crew members needed. The specific reason for these two tracks is they are in easy driving distance for the teams to go home after each day and not need to fly or stay in hotels. May 17th is their target date for the first of two Darlington races and then May 24th for the first of 2 Charlotte races.

So...

Trek-Segafredo are considering splitting their roster into mini-teams or groups once racing resumes. Each segment or group will take on a set number of races based on geographical boundaries.

I actually think it might be a good idea if this becomes a requirement. No need to race all races in "your" area, but no racing outside it. Though I dunno what they'd do about the World Championships...

How do you think will forced altitude training on trainers (in Colombia and Andorra for instance) effect races, if they happen?

And what do you think about the composition of teams? Would they put all the best riders in the highest rated race, or would they still try to form teams sensibly?

Will Alpecin-Fenix get a GT-wildcard?

Interesting that Italy is allowing you to ride outside again. But to me the ban on outside riding was knee jerk and ineffective anyway. Looking at Italy and Spain's virus stats, there is still a very large number of new cases being recorded - not sure if that is simply due to more testing? France is looking much better but still not sure if its a good idea to run the Tour. Going back to the 2018 Spanish Flu, the dreaded 2nd wave was caused by circumstances of the fist world war. But relaxing restrictions too soon could also trigger a 2nd wave of infections. I hope for the best whatever happens but there are still huge risks and IMO until these subside the best course of action is to skip the Grand Tours this season.
At least in Italy since the peak has passed they continously increased the number of tests done (in the last days we are around 70K/80K per day) instead of limiting it only to severe cases as before so they are finding even mild cases and asymptomatic. I don't know what will happen from monday with that free for all saviour around but at the moment the situation is fastly improving with less and less people hospitalized and even more important only around 15% of intensive care place occupied at the moment and the number of people in intensive care falling pretty fast day after day.

As for sports coming back, it appears all eyes are on NASCAR as the guinea pig. They are going to attempt to start racing in May. Two races in Darlington, SC and two races in Charlotte, NC. Charlotte is where most of the teams are based and Darlington is about a 2 hour drive. They will be doing Sunday and Wednesday races at both. No fans allowed and pits stops won't be "live". Meaning caution for pit stops and you reenter the track in the order you came off the track. This is supposed to cut down on the number of crew members needed. The specific reason for these two tracks is they are in easy driving distance for the teams to go home after each day and not need to fly or stay in hotels. May 17th is their target date for the first of two Darlington races and then May 24th for the first of 2 Charlotte races.
Horse racing(dogs and harness) in Australia hasnt stopped since Corona thats upwards of 30 meetings a day and not a single case has arisen from this. We only have 60 dead and majority came from a bungled cruise ship letting off sick people. Obvoiusly contact sports and the fact Australia is sitting on almost the lowest of all countries who actually report their stats properly. The rugby league here is also starting in May which is a contact sport.

At least in Italy since the peak has passed they continously increased the number of tests done (in the last days we are around 70K/80K per day) instead of limiting it only to severe cases as before so they are finding even mild cases and asymptomatic. I don't know what will happen from monday with that free for all saviour around but at the moment the situation is fastly improving with less and less people hospitalized and even more important only around 15% of intensive care place occupied at the moment and the number of people in intensive care falling pretty fast day after day.
Yes, I agree Italy has done very well to recover after the initial horror but there is still a long way to go, we cannot become complacent. The daily infections and active cases in Italy are falling which is great news, the hard part we all face is to allow our economies to breath without seeing the virus come storming back as a 2nd wave. Even in Australia where we acted very early and don't have landlocked borders like Europe we are all very nervous about how the gradual lifting of restrictions might affect the virus. It is a balancing act to manage the economy and still beat COVID-19.

Horse racing(dogs and harness) in Australia hasnt stopped since Corona thats upwards of 30 meetings a day and not a single case has arisen from this. We only have 60 dead and majority came from a bungled cruise ship letting off sick people. Obvoiusly contact sports and the fact Australia is sitting on almost the lowest of all countries who actually report their stats properly. The rugby league here is also starting in May which is a contact sport.
I think the NRL wants to start in May not sure that is going to happen?

There were late reactions (the late closing of Bondi and other beaches, reluctance to cancel crowds at football codes etc) that would have been far more disastrous in a more densely populated nation.

Even New Zealand has a higher population density than Australia. This has been our saving grace for sure.

In my opinion vaccine is still months away, at best, life needs to go on. In addition it likely would be a bad idea, to wait until the next flu season in a bubble. In May and June, most people should start to live their lives normally again. Traveling and gathering in large groups, that still should wait a bit.

P.S. As for the pro cycling calendar. I am now sure that we will get some of that this year.

Reactions: TheRossSeaParty
In my opinion vaccine is still months away, at best, life needs to go on. In addition it likely would be a bad idea, to wait until the next flu season in a bubble. In May and June, most people should start to live their lives normally again. Traveling and gathering in large groups, that still should wait a bit.

P.S. As for the pro cycling calendar. I am now sure that we will get some of that this year.

Agree with you on a vaccine. I think the bigger hope is that there are more treatments that work between now and then. With Remdesivir getting FDA emergency approval for showing it does help a little (and still more on going trials to get a better handle on who is helps best) they are learning what works for this virus. With that knowledge better treatments should be in the works. Treatments should be easier to find (esp with a starting point) and get approved. With multiple treatments that work it will help to get us back to close to normal.

TRENDING THREADS