• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Effects of coronavirus on professional races

Page 49 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
With this calendar sunday 25 October should be quite fun:

• Giro: Final stage
  • Vuelta: 6th stage with MTF on Tourmalet
  • Paris-Roubaix (both for men and - for the first time - for women!)
Such an extremely easy choice tho. Grand Tours as a complete package are of course high end cycling, but they can't compete with the tension and charm of a one day classic. Certainly not when we're talking about a monument like this.

And here are the ladies'

-1st August: Strade Bianche (Italy)

-8 August: Postnord UCI WWT Vårgårda West Sweden TTT (Sweden)

-9 August: Postnord UCI WWT Vårgårda West Sweden RR (Sweden)

-13-16 August: Ladies Tour of Norway (Norway)

-26 August: GP de Plouay – Lorient Agglomération Trophée WNT (France)

-29 August: La Course by Le Tour de France (France)

-1-6 September: Boels Ladies Tour (the Netherlands)

-11-19 September: Giro d’Italia Internazionale Femminile (Italy)

-30 September: La Flèche Wallonne Féminine (Belgium)

-4 October: Liège-Bastogne-Liège Femmes (Belgium)

-10 October: Amstel Gold Race Ladies (the Netherlands)

-11 October: Gent-Wevelgem in Flanders Fields (Belgium)

-18 October : Ronde van Vlaanderen (Belgium)

-20 October: Tour of Guangxi Women’s WorldTour (China)

-20 October: Driedaagse Brugge-De Panne (Belgium)

-23-25 October: Tour of Chongming Island (China)

-25 October: Paris-Roubaix (France)

-6-8 November: Ceratizit Madrid Challenge by La Vuelta (Spain)

The UCI has officially confirmed the new calendar:

-1st August: Strade Bianche (Italy)

-5-9 August: Tour de Pologne (Poland)

-8 August: Milano-Sanremo (Italy)

-12-16 August: Critérium du Dauphiné (France)

-16 August: Prudential RideLondon-Surrey Classic (Great Britain)

-25 August: Bretagne Classic - Ouest-France (France)

-29 August -20 September : Tour de France (France)

-7-14 September: Tirreno-Adriatico (Italy)

-11 September: Grand Prix Cycliste de Québec (Canada)

-13 September: Grand Prix Cycliste de Montréal (Canada)

-29 September -3 October: BinckBank Tour

-30 September: La Flèche Wallonne (Belgium)

-3-25 October: Giro d'Italia (Italy)

-4 October: Liège-Bastogne-Liège (Belgium)

-10 October: Amstel Gold Race (the Netherlands)

-11 October: Gent-Wevelgem in Flanders Fields (Belgium)

-14 October: A Travers la Flandre (Belgium)

-15-20 October: Gree - Tour of Guangxi (China)

-18 October: Tour des Flandres (Belgium)

-20 October - 8 November: Vuelta Ciclista a España (Spain)

-21 October: Driedaagse Brugge-De Panne (Belgium)

-25 October: Paris-Roubaix (France)

-31 October: Il Lombardia (Italy)
To good to be true.

I really hope that all this can take place. But my realistic mind is not that optimistic..

I'm not convinced most of the races will actually take place.

Even if sport starts up again by then I cant see any of the non Euro races having a viable peleton.
Also cant see British cycling having enough pull to get the go ahead for London-Surrey especially seeing as the main draw is the mass participation event which the race wold almost pass unnoticed without.

Also will the Giro still include Hungary as I havnt seen anything to the contrary?

Even if sport starts up again by then I cant see any of the non Euro races having a viable peleton.
Also cant see British cycling having enough pull to get the go ahead for London-Surrey especially seeing as the main draw is the mass participation event which the race wold almost pass unnoticed without.

Also will the Giro still include Hungary as I havnt seen anything to the contrary?

Giro start in Hungary was postponed until next year but apparently, organisers want to replace those stages, riding them in Sicily.

Despite my pessimism about the likelihood of happening, I like the calendar. October will be very packed but most spring classics in Belgium were saved and Vuelta couldn't start any later than that. The Giro ends up losing the most, do to its proximity with the Tour and overlapping with the Vuelta and LBL so we might see some surprises in a weak field.

The Tour of Guangxi should be postponed until November or cancelled all together and it would be nice to save races like the Paris Tours or the Primus Classic.

Exactly, so we may as well have a rider who isn't in a race win it. That works. Of course I'm sure he would find it funny that we declare him a winner of race he wasn't even racing. LOL

Well, imagine this: October 25th; Valverde wins the Tourmalet stage in the Vuelta, and then I - being the daft idiot that I am - accidentally goes into the P-R thread and writes "Valverde takes it!"

• Haha
Reactions: Koronin
Is A travers des Flandres a new name for the E3 or Dwars Dors Vlaanderen?

A Tour-Vuelta double looks possible (to ride not go for GC in both) maybe for a Valverde to super Dom the Tour to build form then go for a podium in the Vuelta.

Not convinced many riders of note will do Canada or China with the risk of pre or post race isolation/quarantine being a factor.
These races will surely see more local teams called up to replace world tour teams.

A Tour-Vuelta double looks possible (to ride not go for GC in both) maybe for a Valverde to super Dom the Tour to build form then go for a podium in the Vuelta.

Not convinced many riders of note will do Canada or China with the risk of pre or post race isolation/quarantine being a factor.
These races will surely see more local teams called up to replace world tour teams.

There will be no quarantine for the Canadian or Chinese races as exemptions will be granted if the races go ahead - As there will be exemptions for the European races.

A Traves des Flanders its the French name for Dwars door Vlaanderen.

I think doing the Tour-Vuelta for GC could be doable especially because the Vuelta will have at least three days less (I have a feeling that the Portuguese stages will be cancelled as well)

Reactions: hayneplane

TRENDING THREADS