• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Effects of coronavirus on professional races

Page 50 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
And here are the ladies'

-1st August: Strade Bianche (Italy)

-8 August: Postnord UCI WWT Vårgårda West Sweden TTT (Sweden)

-9 August: Postnord UCI WWT Vårgårda West Sweden RR (Sweden)

-13-16 August: Ladies Tour of Norway (Norway)

-26 August: GP de Plouay – Lorient Agglomération Trophée WNT (France)

-29 August: La Course by Le Tour de France (France)

-1-6 September: Boels Ladies Tour (the Netherlands)

-11-19 September: Giro d’Italia Internazionale Femminile (Italy)

-30 September: La Flèche Wallonne Féminine (Belgium)

-4 October: Liège-Bastogne-Liège Femmes (Belgium)

-10 October: Amstel Gold Race Ladies (the Netherlands)

-11 October: Gent-Wevelgem in Flanders Fields (Belgium)

-18 October : Ronde van Vlaanderen (Belgium)

-20 October: Tour of Guangxi Women’s WorldTour (China)

-20 October: Driedaagse Brugge-De Panne (Belgium)

-23-25 October: Tour of Chongming Island (China)

-25 October: Paris-Roubaix (France)

-6-8 November: Ceratizit Madrid Challenge by La Vuelta (Spain)
Finally, a women's Roubaix. Good to see something positive come out of this.

Will be really interesting to see who comes to the top on the real stones, riders like Vos, Deignan and Niewiadoma have the bike skills but what about the raw flat power? I'm excited to find out how the top all rounders fare against the pure rouleurs

Reactions: postmanhat and yaco
But can you ever make an airport truly safe and I would be worried not about the area in China being safe but the riders/staff taking it from Europe to China and Canada

Absolutely - I am certain that before anyone travels they'll need to provide a negative COVID19 test or positive anti-body test - Health authorities will insist on the highest bio-security practices to be followed - Will add there has little evidence the virus has been caught at airports and on planes - Finally, Eurasia/Asia and parts of the Middle East are currently suitable places for sport which is a big feature of the upcoming F1 calendar.

Finally, a women's Roubaix. Good to see something positive come out of this.

Will be really interesting to see who comes to the top on the real stones, riders like Vos, Deignan and Niewiadoma have the bike skills but what about the raw flat power? I'm excited to find out how the top all rounders fare against the pure rouleurs

Immediately Ellen Van Dijk comes to mind - The Aussie smokey will be Sarah Roy.

Looks like the Giro is aiming for a start in Southern Italy.

And now I imagine Vegni calling a bunch of Mayors; "Hiiii! Grande Partenza, Octor 3rd, you up?"

it would be wise to do like the Vuelta. 18 stages from the Tuesday. so it won´t clash with BinckBank and Liege

Reactions: RedheadDane and KZD
Looks like the Giro is aiming for a start in Southern Italy.

And now I imagine Vegni calling a bunch of Mayors; "Hiiii! Grande Partenza, Octor 3rd, you up?"
Making a deal with Mayors in Southern Italy is one thing, actually getting the money is another thing.
RCS actually went to court with a few Southern Italian town in recent years because they didn't pay (Not Sicily, they and the places in other regions that get stages on a regular basis are actually willing to pay).

The races being bunched up like that will definitely favor riders that can keep their high level of form and recovery.
Yes, but: unless stages are shortened and don't default to overly steep novelty climbs you will find riders targeting one, rather than two races more likely. The Vuelta may get more attention as the separation from the Tour is more ideal than the Giro for a two-fer by the strongest contenders. I could see Ineos targeting the Tour and the Giro with separate designated leaders and teams to solve their leadership "issues". Maybe Jumbo as well but we have months before we'd know for sure.

Yes, but: unless stages are shortened and don't default to overly steep novelty climbs you will find riders targeting one, rather than two races more likely. The Vuelta may get more attention as the separation from the Tour is more ideal than the Giro for a two-fer by the strongest contenders. I could see Ineos targeting the Tour and the Giro with separate designated leaders and teams to solve their leadership "issues". Maybe Jumbo as well but we have months before we'd know for sure.

The races have a good chance of being a cluster with the time off for everyone and this super condensed schedule. I feel like we're heading to a 2011 of surprise winners the majority of the races.

Reactions: Oldermanish
If the Giro takes place in October how likely are the Stelvio and Agnello to still be clear of snow by the last week of the race?
The chances of new snowfall would be similar, but some the cancelled Giro stages in years past have been because of avalanche danger or unstable snow banks on the sides of the road. The latter two will be much less of a problem in October because there won’t be a massive snowpack that time year.

Deutschlandtour is cancelled for sure. The only races that could take place if they could find some space in the calendar would be Frankfurt and Hamburg. But it's telling that the UCI did not incorporate those in the current, already very optimistic plans. There's no lobby for them in Germany and the fact that the Bundesliga will start again does not mean things are fully back to normal here, it just shows how high much of a priority football is in this country.

Vegni said that they are happy with the dates because are the best possible for them but he doesn't like the fact that Roubaix will be on the final day of the Giro, he proposed alternatives to avoid that but were rejected by the national governments, anyway the important thing was keeping the race a GT and not having to shorten it.

Regarding the route he said that will be the same with only the addition of three stages (i imagine in Puglia if they want to keep two sprinters stages) at the beginning then they'll resume the announced route with stage four.

He also said that Tirreno in september was a strategic decision to lure who want to target the Worlds but won't ride the Tour.

TRENDING THREADS