• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Effects of coronavirus on professional races

Page 53 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Oh, *** hell! Please no! If they're gonna move, they should at least move it to somewhere with an at least somewhat similar route to the original one.

Agreed, I can't imagine many riders going there especially since if every other race this entire season is in western europe.

However at this stage I think I'll take whatever race I can get!

It's amazing it took this long before anyone picked up that idea. I already mentioned it (and i'm sure i wasn't the only one) two months ago as one of the measurements they could take.

but 22 teams with a minimum of 20 people per team ... they need many motorhomes

a small city of motorhomes every night camping in a different place

they need electricity, water, food, gasoline ... and a lot more of things

this is logic :mask:

but 22 teams with a minimum of 20 people per team ... they need many motorhomes

a small city of motorhomes every night camping in a different place

they need electricity, water, food, gasoline ... and a lot more of things

this is logic :mask:
You mean to say they don't need food, water or gasoline when they ride around in busses from hotel to hotel? You think it's more logical, to sleep in a different hotel every day for 21 days in a row? Entering another possibly infected area every day?

You don't need one mobilhome per rider, you could downsize staff (soigneurs, mechanics...). Massages could be given in the mobilhome on the way to the next destination, so you "save" time (and it could be done by less people). Riders could sleep in two mobilhomes or even in one bus if necessary (depending on the model). I'm sure there will be camping sites all over Italy, that can provide water and electricity. It will take some adaptation and planning, but it definitely beats the alternative of infecting 200 riders. But, yes, i guess that is my kind of logic.

Last edited:
You mean to say they don't need food, water or gasoline when they ride around in busses from hotel to hotel? You think it's more logical, to sleep in a different hotel every day for 21 days in a row? Entering another possibly infected area every day?

You don't need one mobilhome per rider, you could downsize staff (soigneurs, mechanics...). Massages could be given in the mobilhome on the way to the next destination, so you "save" time (and it could be done by less people). Riders could sleep in two mobilhomes or even in one bus if necessary (depending on the model). I'm sure there will be camping sites all over Italy, that can provide water and electricity. It will take some adaptation and planning, but it definitely beats the alternative of infecting 200 riders. But, yes, i guess that is my kind of logic.

I see, you are one of those people who does not debate to find the truth but to possess the reason. You twist the arguments to win the dispute, you don't want to convince, you want to win.

Well it's your problem, I don't care

I see, you are one of those people who does not debate to find the truth but to possess the reason. You twist the arguments to win the dispute, you don't want to convince, you want to win.

Well it's your problem, I don't care
You must be one of those people who want to make fun of people based on poorly thought out arguments and without knowing the entire story, and when you get an answer you don't like, you start crying. I said in the first post you responded to, that i had raised such measures could be taken when covid-19 just struck 2 months ago. It was part of other ideas, like eliminating the press caravan for 90%, having interviews be done over videoconference, eliminating the start and finish ceremonies, downsizing staff and possibly sleeping in mobilhomes (or something like it). So maybe your comment relates more to yourself than it does to me. Yes, it would take a lot planning, but if it is what makes the race possible at all, as opposed to the race not happening, then yes, it's good it is being considered and it certainly does solve other, more important issues. Regardless of what you may think.

As for the logistics; I don't suppose booking place at a public campsite will be that different from booking rooms in a hotel.
I guess it would be more about moving from one site to another, with a lot of mobilhomes. But i think the mobilhomes would still ride from camp site to campsite, and the teambus would ride from campsite to start, and finish to campsite. If teams do in fact downsize their staff, they might not need a massive amount of mobilhomes. If crowds are not allowed, there should also be a lot less traffic from tourists etc. If press is downsized significantly, the entire caravan would also greatly diminish. It would take some planning and adjusting but it is obviously doable, else they wouldn't even consider it either.

Last edited:
But i think the mobilhomes would still ride from camp site to campsite, and the teambus would ride from campsite to start, and finish to campsite.

Definitely my thought too. I don't think they'd have a whole bunch of mobilhomes waiting at the finish line to take the riders to the campsite, and then - the next day - drive all the motorhomes from the campsite to the start line. Besides, teams often have their pre-race briefings in the bus while on their way to the start, which would be kind of complicated if everyone is spread out over multiple mobilhomes with - probably - not the best internet connection, I can just see it; "Crrr. Crrr. Crrr. Guys? Crrr! Anyone…?"

could the TDF just have France Tv production and no international journos there? every tv and radio comments from their headquarters in their country? also, all the photographers too?

I think that's the first measure that should be taken. I'm not entirely sure it will happen like that, because what is necessary and what is not is seen in weird ways, but absolutely yes!
(Also I don't need five million motorbikes following, french or not.)

could the TDF just have France Tv production and no international journos there? every tv and radio comments from their headquarters in their country? also, all the photographers too?

I suspect that's likely. NASCAR restarted their season on Sunday. They had 1 reporter at the track (who was doing all the pit lane info gathering as well as all the interviews) and the two main commentators were back in Charlotte. If I remember right, one was actually at the studio and the other was doing the broadcast at home. So they did show it can be done.

I think this could be a blessing in disguise to an extent, at least regarding the press/media circus revolving the TDF. Impossible they leave things like they've been for the past decades. They need to change and rethink how the press is handled / handles the riders. I won't claim i have the answers, but i think it's clear things need to change. Have one independent reporter per country that can report for multiple TV stations? No face to face interviews with riders, but via videoconference after making an appointment for a certain timeslot (every rider has a smartphone with skype/zoom...)? Have only a few photographers, who publish their images for all press instances worldwide?

I think this could be a blessing in disguise to an extent, at least regarding the press/media circus revolving the TDF. Impossible they leave things like they've been for the past decades. They need to change and rethink how the press is handled / handles the riders. I won't claim i have the answers, but i think it's clear things need to change. Have one independent reporter per country that can report for multiple TV stations? No face to face interviews with riders, but via videoconference after making an appointment for a certain timeslot (every rider has a smartphone with skype/zoom...)? Have only a few photographers, who publish their images for all press instances worldwide?

Maybe they could finally reduce the number of motos as well? But I suppose that's too much to ask :confused:

TRENDING THREADS