• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Effects of coronavirus on professional races

Page 56 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
The exceptions, which are now in place, are listed on the official homepage of the EU-Page. One expception is for employers which "are important for the post-corona recovery".
If the EU continues to ban travel from countries, which haven't COVID-19 under control, there could be some problems for riders from the continent America.

there are exceptions for people with a long term visa as well, so I guess they should be allowed to enter the EU. A two-week quarantine is likely to be mandatory for most of them though, I guess.

The mechanism of lock down is now out of reach and would do more harm than good. Considering that new clusters with hundreds of cases are emerging, I think all countries should follow social distancing of 2 m, hand/face/feet washing & masks and quarantine of 14 days for out of state travelers till mass production of vaccine. Considering the Djoker case, a single case in cycling will cause the cancellation of the entire calendar and therefore strict enforcing of rules would be needed.

Reactions: Koronin
The mechanism of lock down is now out of reach and would do more harm than good. Considering that new clusters with hundreds of cases are emerging, I think all countries should follow social distancing of 2 m, hand/face/feet washing & masks and quarantine of 14 days for out of state travelers till mass production of vaccine. Considering the Djoker case, a single case in cycling will cause the cancellation of the entire calendar and therefore strict enforcing of rules would be needed.
The Joker case is a poor example because NO bio-security protocols were followed by the organiser - And as evidenced by other sports which have resulted in positives the calendar still continues.

This is a joke. Professional bike racers can't maintain a bubble..not even a small one. Group rides are obviously impossible..there is no point to point protection or an out and back scenario that can ever be safe. To put in pro mileage,you will need to be exposed,period.
Given what the season is..were stage races are Spring -Summer classics..nothing can work..this isn't F1 or NASCAR..riders will need to eat,taste and feel each other's discharge in any pack situation. Absurd to think that pack riding and social distancing can ever coexist..
for the bumpers and leadout guys..Madison and points racers it's over until a vaccine..you can't race in crits and Madison's without close contact..
Cav and the rest should hang up the bike wo a heavy breathing,rib punching,elbow slamming leadout train.
And how does a pro warm up? What bus allows 6ft apart from anything? Roll around and roll back to chat with the mechanic about..whatever..could have been within @2 meters of 100's of people on a ride about tire pressure or a shifting issue.

Reactions: Merckx index
no one asks cyclists to keep distance from each other. Every team (including mechanics and so on) is tested twice before a race (at home + after arrival at the venue), so the UCI basically tries to create an infection free bubble, and contacts to the outside are minimized.
This. That was what I was going to say. They are treating the teams like a family cell. Not sure if they are treating all the teams together like a family cell as well.

Looks like there won't be a Volta a Portugal this year.:(
as I just mentioned Covid-19 tests up there: the UCI requests all races with 10+ stages to conduct mid-race tests as well, on their own cost. Thay may have put the nail in the coffin.

I don't know what budget the Volta is working with, but bringing up another 30k or so out of nowhere to do those tests must be almost impossible.

as I just mentioned Covid-19 tests up there: the UCI requests all races with 10+ stages to conduct mid-race tests as well, on their own cost. Thay may have put the nail in the coffin.

I don't know what budget the Volta is working with, but bringing up another 30k or so out of nowhere to do those tests must be almost impossible.

It was stopped because two of the host cities withdrew their support.

At this point, the Volta will not be the only casualty in the revamped race calendar. Europe has wisely kept us ridiculous Americans out b/c of our CVD irresponsibility, but as rates soar around the world how long can Europe keep the virus tamped down? Especially after seeing the packed crowds at Fete de la mystique, in Liverpool, and British beaches this past week? I think all the riders/teams who opted to go all-in for the Tour are smart, because at some point the CVD rates are going to increase again in Europe (though not as bad as here) and infections among riders will shut down certain races.

US riders have to end of today to get into the EU if not there already.
According to Dr. Fauci's testimony the likelihood and long term efficacy of a vaccine are also questionable. There are also suggestions that immunity from prior infection is shorter term than originally thought; as low as two months.

US riders have to end of today to get into the EU if not there already.

this is not correct, everyone with a long term visa (among others) can return to his residence in the EU at any time. Those travel restrictions circulating in the media only affect tourists

Dang, I picked a bad time to not own a villa in Provence!
ed. Seriously though, I hope any American (U.S.) riders who are not already in Europe are really held to a strict 14-day quarantine. The virus is really getting out of control here, and while COVID is obviously causing many more serious problems, I would hate to see infections take out the Euro cycling calendar (I still think some races will get cancelled b/c of one or two positives, but not all of them).

Last edited:
this is not correct, everyone with a long term visa (among others) can return to his residence in the EU at any time. Those travel restrictions circulating in the media only affect tourists

Assuming they do and have a residence and long term visa. We are getting quarantine requirements now between individual states. Any with strong upward trends are required to quarantine for 14 days if they travel to a state with restrictions. This will complicate travel for the unprepared.

well, yeah, without the necessary documents, that's no surprise of course:

With no visa or residency card, the Atlanta resident was told he didn’t have the required paperwork to be permitted to travel back to Europe.

“I went to the airport on Wednesday and pretty much got turned away at the counter because I didn’t have any sort of official government document,” Garrison told VeloNews Friday

this is not due to the new travel rules, by the way. It would have been the same during the past months as well.

Reactions: yaco

TRENDING THREADS