• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Effects of coronavirus on professional races

Page 61 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
So now riders with antibodies get immunity passports and don't have to do tests anymore? That is surprising, given the fact that it's not even sure how long immunity lasts.
I am not surprised. I have been shocked at how much garbage people post on social media to the point of confusion to the community. Some of that could be political or might have some other agendas. But here we see that immunity exists for at least some time.

We might see more riders with antibodies. They will have the advantage if no secondary effects are observed. Just like Merck Index indicated a while back.

What I'd like to know is; when were those guys infected? Bit hard to find out, since they might not even know themselves... however, since they were tested at the recent training camp(s), we can suppose that they do in fact still have the antibodies.
Gaviria and Richeze, otoh, got sick way back in March; do they still have the antibodies? If they do; awesome! If they don't; how long do antibodies last for, and by extension; how long should a immunity passport be in effect?

No one knows the answers for sure. I think we know more in one year.
We will get get some races this year, but I don't think every grand tour will happen. The Tour de France should happen without spectators at the finish and at the hot spots. The ASO ist able to control this if they want.
The virus will not be gone the whole next year. But I really hope there will be more knowledge and more organsiation between the countries. Then a lot of races can happen.

In Belgium there will be an important decision today about the number of spectators allowed at a sporting event. At the moment it's 200 indoors and 400 outdoors, but that might get stricter. It's even possible that no spectators will be allowed anymore. I'm not sure what that would mean for cycling, where the access is normally free.

Yes. No crowds at all are allowed at any sports event, indoors or outdoors. According to this article. Good luck stopping Belgians watching cycling from the side of the road

It's quite possible to pick it up in airports or while traveling.

Sure, but that cuts both ways. These riders can quarantine for 14 days in Bulgaria, or wherever, but they could still get infected on the way to Italy. For this reason, it seems to me to make more sense to let anyone who tested negative soon before flying to enter the country. If you still want to have a quarantine, then have it in Italy, or the country arriving at. As I noted before, that's what S. Korea and Taiwan do.

The whole point of the quarantine is that Italy doesn't trust people in certain countries not to be exposed to the virus. Fair enough. But in that case, the quarantine should be in Italy, where presumably they feel the person is more likely to be safe after the quarantine is over.

Reactions: yaco
If you still want to have a quarantine, then have it in Italy, or the country arriving at. As I noted before, that's what S. Korea and Taiwan do.

The whole point of the quarantine is that Italy doesn't trust people in certain countries not to be exposed to the virus. Fair enough. But in that case, the quarantine should be in Italy, where presumably they feel the person is more likely to be safe after the quarantine is over.

Yes, that's what I meant - quarantine in the destination country. I thought that's what the conversation was about, (not quarantine before departure), sorry if I didn't get that properly.

Yes, that's what I meant - quarantine in the destination country. I thought that's what the conversation was about, (not quarantine before departure), sorry if I didn't get that properly.

Yes, I guess I misunderstood that tweet. It said: "The riders that were in Sibiu have to stay 14 days in isolation if they want to enter in Italy." I thought it meant they had to quarantine before they could fly to Italy. Apparently, it means they have to quarantine upon entering Italy? That makes more sense, and is in line with what other countries are doing. Except that Taiwan and S. Korea require a negative test just to fly to those countries. I don't know if that's the case with Italy or not.

Technically, upon arriving at a country, before going through customs, you haven't entered that country, but I assume anyone who got that far would have to be cleared through customs, so he could go some place to quarantine. Or maybe they technically are barred from clearing customs until after quarantine? Maybe they are taken aside at customs, and have to go to some place chosen by Italy, and their passports are confiscated until the quarantine is finished? I don't know how it works.

Last edited:
Ah, I see... if it's like Oz (and "Japan" which I'll leave in quote marks!!!) - you clear customs but have to go straight to your place of quarantine. At first in Oz - it was go straight home and self-quarantine, but now I think they actually take you straight to a hotel which they choose for you.
No idea about where/how in Italy, aside from assuming that you'd clear customs.

The province of Antwerp decided on some new measures last night. People will have to wear mouth masks everywhere outside the house, even when biking or jogging. For now these measures will last 4 weeks. I can't see any race that goes through Antwerp go on as long as these measures are in place. This could mean the Ronde van Vlaanderen, which starts in the city of Antwerp, gets cancelled if the measures aren't scaled back by then.

• Angry
Reactions: Pantani_lives
The province of Antwerp decided on some new measures last night. People will have to wear mouth masks everywhere outside the house, even when biking or jogging. For now these measures will last 4 weeks. I can't see any race that goes through Antwerp go on as long as these measures are in place. This could mean the Ronde van Vlaanderen, which starts in the city of Antwerp, gets cancelled if the measures aren't scaled back by then.

:(
Masks while riding or going for a walk. Insane. Sure will keep people at home. Will also make them pretty unhealthy.

MSR now omitting Turchino, Alassio Laigueglia, Capo Mele, Capo Cervo e Capo Berta.
But we still have Cipressa e Poggio!
Gazzetta reporting here in Italian

That is over 2 months away - What will stop the race is too many positive cases, not if you have to wear a mask - A number of countries in Europe have mandated the use of masks in public.

They help, but I practically hear nothing from the experts on how unhealthy it is.....

Yeah, I did not mean to say that people should not wear masks, it makes sense in crowded places and especially indoors. But when one is alone in the countryside or even in the city just sometimes passing someone by in open air... I don't think that's where they help.
Really eager sportspeople will train at home or even outside with a mask, but people like me who just like to do it for leisure, who like to go out and enjoy the fresh air and some exercise, will rather stay at home and it will make them (me) fat instead of fit.
Well, I suppose that's a topic for the café.

Reactions: Pantani_lives

TRENDING THREADS