• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Effects of coronavirus on professional races

Page 62 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Why unhealthy?
That is the arguments that are being used here in the USA. But I have not heard the reasoning.
If anything it will increase the hematocrit levels.
My personal experience is that breathing is a bit harder due to the resistance of the mask and also exhaled Co2 again being inhaled while running. The other symptom that i have experienced is dry eyes due to hot exhaled air going via the edges of the mask into my eyes. But this is a specific experience not a generic one.

Reactions: Pantani_lives
My personal experience is that breathing is a bit harder due to the resistance of the mask and also exhaled Co2 again being inhaled while running. The other symptom that i have experienced is dry eyes due to hot exhaled air going via the edges of the mask into my eyes. But this is a specific experience not a generic one.

Right now mask compliance is very high in the area of the city(Seattle) I live in, but I’m starting to see a problem associated with that. Particularly in the grocery store, people are way less likely to maintain social distancing requirements. Almost as though folks have decided, hey I’m wearing a mask It’s fine to be close together. Even my local grocer has reopened some of the checkout areas previously closed for distancing purposes. Seems crazy to me. Create appropriate distance pretty much ensures no transmission, masks reduce transmission for when you can’t maintain social distancing. Ugh.

it’s like in school when teachers always reminded us to read ALL the test question carefully before writing our answers, but students (including me) would get wrong answers because they locked onto just one part of the instructions. All the attention on masks seems to be reducing attention to the more important aspect of the instructions.

BTW, I’ve stopped going to that grocer.

Reactions: SHAD0W93
The Vuelta a Burgos, the first major international men’s race since March, has now had two coronavirus scares and five withdrawals after just two days of the event
It looks like a horror movie with a monster likely at every turn and being jumpy all the time. More stricter protocols are needed but it is not possible to police everyone and there will be rulebreakers. Stage races are at big risk.Maybe only one day races should be held

Yes. No crowds at all are allowed at any sports event, indoors or outdoors. According to this article. Good luck stopping Belgians watching cycling from the side of the road

It's now 100 spectators indoors, 200 outdoors. In the province of Antwerp no events are allowed for the next four weeks.

It looks like a horror movie with a monster likely at every turn and being jumpy all the time. More stricter protocols are needed but it is not possible to police everyone and there will be rulebreakers. Stage races are at big risk.Maybe only one day races should be held
They have to tell people to stay away from the races and don't watch, because otherwise the races could get cancelled. Most of the people would respect that rules, at least here in germany.
The numbers are rising and if cycling events want to continue they have to do it without spectators in most of the countries. The risk for infection inside the peloton isn't that high with strict protocols, without contact the public and strict testing. People should watch the races on tv, otherwise there won't be any races to watch again soon...

They have to tell people to stay away from the races and don't watch, because otherwise the races could get cancelled. Most of the people would respect that rules, at least here in germany.
The numbers are rising and if cycling events want to continue they have to do it without spectators in most of the countries. The risk for infection inside the peloton isn't that high with strict protocols, without contact the public and strict testing. People should watch the races on tv, otherwise there won't be any races to watch again soon...

Is that possible though? Can they police that, so nobody turns up? If they can’t police it, they may pull the plug.

Is that possible though? Can they police that, so nobody turns up? If they can’t police it, they may pull the plug.
My guess is that it would be hard to keep people who live in the towns throughout the course from popping out and seeing the race. Obviously I think it is easier to police things at the start and finish. It seemed like most spectators from today's race were masking up.

Reactions: Poursuivant
They can hope that most of the people respect the rules of the race to save the race. I personally think that works for most of the people. The big problem is that there are huge crowds on the finish, at the start and at the climbs. Thats not good to fight the pandemic and is a risk for the riders. I think the Tour is able to close the crucial climbs and perhaps they will do this.

July 31st, and Spain, France and Poland have all announced the highest rise in Covid-19 cases since lockdown ended. Time will tell if racing should continue....
I'm extremely pissed with Belgian politics. I don't know the situation in other countries, but after the lockdown ended, life returned to normal very fast, with very few restrictions. They gave the people the impression that it was over. You could see this clearly in day to day life, people not respecting the social distancing rules, not washing their hands anymore etc. Numbers were good, sun was shining, measures were decreasing... Yup. And now we're here. They should -if nothing else- have made face masks in public places mandatory, or even just outside. To keep people aware that it was not over. To keep people vigilant. Now we're back to square one in a lot of places.

Reactions: Andy262
Face masks and social distance should be mandatory until we get the vaccine. I simply don't get it. I live in the USA. We are horrible here as well.

I second this.

The way things are going I'm not sure we'll get much past August for races. I'm also not convinced Major League Baseball will finish their season. Florida Marlins have several games cancelled due to Covid and a Philadelphia Phillies manager has tested positive. Now I think the NBA, WNBA, and NHL have a better chance of success as they are playing in bubbles with strict policies including quarantine if anyone is caught leaving that bubble.

Right now mask compliance is very high in the area of the city(Seattle) I live in, but I’m starting to see a problem associated with that. Particularly in the grocery store, people are way less likely to maintain social distancing requirements. Almost as though folks have decided, hey I’m wearing a mask It’s fine to be close together. Even my local grocer has reopened some of the checkout areas previously closed for distancing purposes. Seems crazy to me. Create appropriate distance pretty much ensures no transmission, masks reduce transmission for when you can’t maintain social distancing. Ugh.

it’s like in school when teachers always reminded us to read ALL the test question carefully before writing our answers, but students (including me) would get wrong answers because they locked onto just one part of the instructions. All the attention on masks seems to be reducing attention to the more important aspect of the instructions.

BTW, I’ve stopped going to that grocer.

In Vegas some places have stopped social distancing and disinfecting everything before the next person comes up. Heck the nursing cohort behind mine ended up all testing positive for covid because they were close together with no mask on outside the school and tried blaming the school. When the school has strict policies and they refused to listen, and these are nursing students so should know better.

I'm extremely pissed with Belgian politics. I don't know the situation in other countries, but after the lockdown ended, life returned to normal very fast, with very few restrictions. They gave the people the impression that it was over. You could see this clearly in day to day life, people not respecting the social distancing rules, not washing their hands anymore etc. Numbers were good, sun was shining, measures were decreasing... Yup. And now we're here. They should -if nothing else- have made face masks in public places mandatory, or even just outside. To keep people aware that it was not over. To keep people vigilant. Now we're back to square one in a lot of places.

Are face masks not mandatory in shops etc in Belgium?

Incredible, given the scale of the outbreak in Belgium. Though it's the same piecemeal approach by the mostly useless government here in England
The scale of the outbreak in Belgium was not worse than elsewhere at that time. They simply chose to include all "possible" Covid cases in the reports. Many of which did not turn out to be Covid at all. Other countries did the exact opposite. If they weren't 100% sure it was Covid, they didn't include it in the reports.

It could be a very short late season if this continues. People are already seeing the virus is a thing of the past. In my country, the nightclubs and bars have re-opened which is ridiculous.

Enjoy every meter of Strade Bianche.
Watching Strade this morning, I saw a few idiots running too close to riders, but was impressed with most fans staying back a respectful distance. Heading up the climb to the top, I noted one one person start to move right on front of (I think it was Van Aert) to get a close-up photo, but before he got too close, another person who looked like just another fan, grabbed his arm and led him back away from the riders path. I was impressed.

TRENDING THREADS