• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Effects of coronavirus on professional races

Page 70 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
This would be my fear for the health of events and teams next year. Most sponsors need to pony up money well before the beginning of the season. How many are going to be willing to make an investment in this uncertain environment? Most contracts in the US contain Force majeure clauses to avoid entanglement in this sort of unforeseen situation. I wonder if that is the case with many of the agreements in the EU governing sports sponsorship?

• Sad
Reactions: Koronin
tenor.gif

I haven't seen it anywhere but does Giro have any "official" protocols for Covid testing on rest days, bubbles, etc. like they were in the Tour??? Or is it all left to the teams???
The safety measures are largely the same as in the Tour, although they don't have the rule that two positives lead to an expulsion of the whole team.

The Belgian classics seem to be safe. In Paris however pubs and bars are closed for at least two weeks, so Paris-Roubaix is still uncertain.

So with increasing coronavirus cases in Europe and the winter coming soon, the likelihood for cancellation of races is increasing once again.

I have to say that I am already very grateful for the races we could see in the last two months. I didn´t expect this in April this year.

So what do you think:

How high are the chances for the big races left this year that they will actually take place?

03.10 - 25.10 Giro d'Italia
11.10 Gent-Wevelgem in Flanders Fields
18.10 Ronde van Vlaanderen - Tour des Flandres
20.10 - 08.11 La Vuelta ciclista a España
25.10 Paris-Roubaix

The giro already started and the cases in Italy are still not that high, so I think the giro will go on until the end.
Gent Wevelgem is already in a few days and there are no news about cancellation so I also think that it will take place, although there are a lot of new cases in Belgium
Ronde von Vlanderen: A lot of new cases in Belgium, but I didn't hear news about a cancellation. So hopefully it will take place.
In my opinion the greatest uncertainty is at the Vuelta de Espana and Paris Roubaix with a lot of new cases in Spain and France..

Reactions: Pantani_lives

TRENDING THREADS