• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Effects of coronavirus on professional races

Page 81 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
So the Vuelta's Sunday stage won't go to France either. It will finish on Formigal. Well, it does look like a good alternative road, remembering 2016. I think it's the same stage with 28 km added in the beginning.

3D23-68A

Last edited:
:(

Thought there was something missing from the PCS upcoming races list...
... and the 6th Ceratizit Madrid Challenge by La Vuelta throws up the "HTTP ERROR 403" :oops:

So...what do we think the calendar will look like next year? Australia already gone, will leave space for the same kind of usual end of season break...
I assume lots of the early season races in spain will also be at risk as well.
Is the Tour Down Under already cancelled? Might have missed the news, but I just couldn´t find it.

I think it will depend a lot on the development in the upcoming months. Especially in the vaccine development. Biontech/Pfizer started their mass production already in the beginning of october and the target is to produce 100 Million vaccine doses until the end of the year. So it is at least possible that persons who are working in the healthcare sector and risk groups in Europe are vaccinated when the next season will begin.

The TDU is 50/50 at this stage - If it goes ahead it will be Non-Mandatory WT race in which 15 teams have entered - Al the travel will be by charter flights but the sticking point is the quarantine - A hard 14 day quarantine is hardly helpful to an elite athlete - I also suspect the South American and Middle East races are doubtful - I suspect that for the first six months of the 2021 calendar it will be almost exclusively a European calendar.

Reactions: richwallone
If I need to I should be able to find the article where I read this. It sounds like la Vuelta organizers and the Spanish Govt are intent on finding a way to ensure the race finishes with the 18 stages. Now they may not be able to ride into Madrid and they stated they have 4 or 5 alternate plans to ensure completion of that stage if they can't go into Madrid due to Covid.

Spain can organise a Vuelta when the country is surrounded by COVID cases but Australia which has no cases can't organise the TDU - Figure that out.
Some of these countries dealing with Covid are scared shitless... I thought Ozzies had more balls... And again, I'm not talking about general population but professional events where you can throw money and resources to have it properly organized and controlled...

Why is it such a problem to get a government exemption, have all teams (riders and support coming the the country) rapid tested, and keep them in a bubble and isolated from gen pop during their racing and stay in Australia???

Some of these countries dealing with Covid are scared shitless... I thought Ozzies had more balls... And again, I'm not talking about general population but professional events where you can throw money and resources to have it properly organized and controlled...

Why is it such a problem to get a government exemption, have all teams (riders and support coming the the country) rapid tested, and keep them in a bubble and isolated from gen pop during their racing and stay in Australia???

You need to ask the authorities - The Aussie Tennis Open is still no certainty to go ahead - The French Open and US Open worked fine with their protocols and bubble but for some reason Australian authorities feel this is not enough.

Reactions: Koronin
Spain can organise a Vuelta when the country is surrounded by COVID cases but Australia which has no cases can't organise the TDU - Figure that out.
Which is the number one reason why Australia has very few Covid cases compared to Europe and America. All Australian cases since April can be traced to escaped from quarantine - including Victoria's second wave disaster.

But you are likely right that the chances of TDU going ahead are very low. A relaxation of the 14 day compulsory quarantine for all international arrivals would be the last restriction to be lifted.

Last edited:

Are you kidding, the Covid hype here is as bad as anywhere. As for your solution, that might work but first you need to convince the organizers and authorities. Current status is if any doubt then don't proceed. Its the easy way. The hard way is to conduct a TdF like bubble.

Which is the number one reason why Australia has very few Covid cases compared to Europe and America. All Australian cases since April can be traced to escaped from quarantine - including Victoria's second wave disaster.

But you are likely right that the chances of TDU going ahead are very low. A relaxation of the 14 day compulsory quarantine for all international arrivals would be the last restriction to be lifted.

The TDU is definitely not happening - The point I was making is that major sporting organisations have for the most part successfully produced 'bubbles' to allow events to happen, but Australia seems to not to trust these bubbles, yet sporting organisations want to come to OZ because they have a grip on COVID - Look at golf where there will be three majors organised with bubbles with golfers coming from all over the world YET Australia has cancelled internationally co-sanctioned golf tournaments - Even the OZ Tennis Open is no certainty to happen, yet the US Open and French Open went off without issues - It's hard to understand.

Reactions: richwallone

TRENDING THREADS