• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Effects of coronavirus on professional races

Page 83 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Looks like Craig Tiley the CEO of Tennis Australia is slowly working through a quarantine plan for the Aussie Tennis Open, with the plan for players to arrive in Mid December - It will be interesting to see if all 200+ players will want to spend XMAS in a hotel - I am also interested if the Aussie/NZ players will have to join at the same time to provide an even playing field in terms of preparation.

We lost a stage in the Binckbank Tour. We lost Amstel. We lost Roubaix.

The penultimate hurt. The last one really stung.

But otherwise, I think we got more cycling this fall than anybody had thought possible.

Especially considering the countless posts of pessimism declaring that even though the current race might seem to actually get to the finish, the NEXT one is sure to be doomed.

It has been quite a ride. Hopefully we will get a decent show to finish it all off today even if the route planners of the Vuelta have done theirs to prevent that.

We lost a stage in the Binckbank Tour. We lost Amstel. We lost Roubaix.

The penultimate hurt. The last one really stung.

But otherwise, I think we got more cycling this fall than anybody had thought possible.

Especially considering the countless posts of pessimism declaring that even though the current race might seem to actually get to the finish, the NEXT one is sure to be doomed.

It has been quite a ride. Hopefully we will get a decent show to finish it all off today even if the route planners of the Vuelta have done theirs to prevent that.

Yep, agreed... It was going on my nerves how hyperbolic lot of media and fans here were about imminent cancelations of all the races, any day... Glad the organizers persisted and put on great and safe shows given the tough circumstances.

Reactions: RedheadDane
2021 will be an interesting season - Expect most races to go ahead with a mainly 90% European calendar - I fear for the future of Continental teams as they will struggle to set out a suitable calendar.

I agree with this. I suspect the early European races will go ahead. I looks like Mallorca may be the first race of the season.

It may very well be a struggle for races off the European continent to take place. If we're lucky maybe the Canadian races take place if there is a vaccine sometime in the spring? If that happens the Canadian races may be late enough in the year to still take place.

The Continental teams are going to struggle to survive, esp in countries that don't have a bunch of races. I also wouldn't be surprised to see more contraction next year of teams.

TRENDING THREADS