• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Effects of coronavirus on professional races

Page 84 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Some positive news here:

positive data from Phase 3 study with 43.500 people by Biontech and Pfizer show 90% protection against corona infection.
Two injections at an interval of 3 weeks are necessary.
One week after the second vaccination the protection is in place.

The big question now is: When and in which number will it be available. Hopefully soon so that we can enjoy a nearly normal next cycling season..

Some positive news here:

positive data from Phase 3 study with 43.500 people by Biontech and Pfizer show 90% protection against corona infection.
Two injections at an interval of 3 weeks are necessary.
One week after the second vaccination the protection is in place.

The big question now is: When and in which number will it be available. Hopefully soon so that we can enjoy a nearly normal next cycling season..

Info still needs to go to peer review and they don't have the full safety numbers back (as far as I know). I think they are hoping to have the info peer reviewed by the end of Nov and then apply for emergency use. If all goes perfect the soonest they can start vaccinations will be end of Dec or early January. However, it is also most likely that health care workers and most at risk populations will get the vaccine first as they can't vaccinate the worlds population in a few months. Hopefully with Pfizer releasing this info now, AstraZenica may be only about 3 to 6 weeks behind and will have similar information by the end of this month. If both can have something ready to get emergency approval before the end of the early or by early January that will help with more doses available world wide. Pfizer has said 50million doses is about the most they will have ready by the end of this year and around 1.25 billion by the end of next year. That is for a world wide doses. I suspect AstraZenica would be similar numbers.

So no positive riders at the Vuelta, but 46(!) agents of the Guardia Civil tested positive at the end of the race. They were allowed to go home without any precations and were only put in quarantine yesterday...
https://www.tuttobiciweb.it/article...guardia-civil-vuelta-covid-coronavirus-vuelta

I thought that was really high and probably showed that there are way more cases in the population than we know of. (I just read an article about tests at a school in Hamburg, which would indicate 5000 cases per 100,000 people, while the official number is 160 per 100,000.)

You have to wonder whether there will be a National Championship in 2021 - England has not been able to get their head around how to organise cycling races during the pandemic.
It's almost like there's more important things to worry about.

It seems like a rushed decision unless there are others factors involved
Is now really the time to spend money you don't have on a race that might not happen?

My guess is Vuelta a Ecuador won't be televised. But Vuelta a Colombia (as an NE) started yesterday and is televised live on Canal RCN. You will need to get around geo-restriction.
A couple of other Latin American stage races (Venezuela and Nicaragua) are also running later this month as non-UCI/NE races.

No geo-restriction with this link: https://www.senalcolombia.tv/senal-en-vivo/

Reactions: TourOfSardinia
:grimacing:

Wow, sorry to hear that’s the situation for Ganna with his whole family (and teammates) infected.

He says, “Because of COVID-19 I've thrown away many opportunities, but now I'm at peace.”
I’m sure the interview was in Italian and this is the translation, but I miss seeing “tranquillo“ ;)

TRENDING THREADS