• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Effects of coronavirus on professional races

Page 87 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
San Juan which should be the first pro cycling race for this season also called off I guess

• Sad
Reactions: BlueRoads
I noticed that the CN forum really came alive during the resumption of limited racing in the 2020 season and particularly during the Grand Tours. But it has gone quiet again and not much interesting discussion. Look forward to a resumption of activity here when the Covid-19 scourge is finally behind us. With vaccines finally rolling out around the world just need to be patient.

I noticed that the CN forum really came alive during the resumption of limited racing in the 2020 season and particularly during the Grand Tours. But it has gone quiet again and not much interesting discussion. Look forward to a resumption of activity here when the Covid-19 scourge is finally behind us. With vaccines finally rolling out around the world just need to be patient.

I don't know about Australia's situation at the moment, probably way better than here, but in Germany there's a lockdown (which is getting stricter by the day) and talk about extending it until Easter... or whenever... more general vaccinations, if we're lucky, in summer, but maybe not... It's impossible to make any plans for the future. My life, even with sparse real snow, is like covered by a deadening layer of snow and that does not exactly excite me for the next months. I guess it's similar for some others.

The problem with the vaccines is limited quantities currently. Yes it will get better and more and more will get vaccinated. The hope for the J&J 1 dose vaccine is high, but it will also have limited doses to begin with. On the other hand, it appears more and more sports arenas/stadium parking lots are going to be used for mass vaccination centers.

I don't know about Australia's situation at the moment, probably way better than here, but in Germany there's a lockdown (which is getting stricter by the day) and talk about extending it until Easter... or whenever... more general vaccinations, if we're lucky, in summer, but maybe not... It's impossible to make any plans for the future. My life, even with sparse real snow, is like covered by a deadening layer of snow and that does not exactly excite me for the next months. I guess it's similar for some others.
Better but we can never relax. Currently there is concern here over the highly contagious UK strain which has been detected in Brisbane when it escaped from quarantine after being spread to a cleaner. Yes, everyone is quite sick of it and look forward to better times as soon as possible.

The problem with the vaccines is limited quantities currently. Yes it will get better and more and more will get vaccinated. The hope for the J&J 1 dose vaccine is high, but it will also have limited doses to begin with. On the other hand, it appears more and more sports arenas/stadium parking lots are going to be used for mass vaccination centers.

Agreed. As you know the different vaccines have differing efficacies. In Australia our government has purchased the lower efficacy AstraZeneca vaccine as access to the more effective Pfizer vaccine is limited. Some experts are suggesting AstraZeneca efficacy is too low to attain herd immunity.

Agreed. As you know the different vaccines have differing efficacies. In Australia our government has purchased the lower efficacy AstraZeneca vaccine as access to the more effective Pfizer vaccine is limited. Some experts are suggesting AstraZeneca efficacy is too low to attain herd immunity.

I'd like to see AstraZeneca redo their phase 3 trial either with the doses 2 or 3 months apart (as the second of the J&J trial is) or with that half dose then the full dose 1 month apart and see if that bring the efficacy rate up. it appears it is more effective with limited numbers from doing both of those things.

Reactions: Cookster15
When do you think we will see effects of vaccination in Israel? They have horrible numbers right know.
According to this article already now..

They compared 200.000 people who received the vaccine with 200.000 who didn´t recieve it.
13 days after the vaccination one can see already a difference..

Reactions: Keram
Route of Volta a la Comunitat Valenciana published:

As the organizers announced, there will be no further information about the course beyond the naming of the start and finish locations, so no route maps or profiles. Race director Ángel Casero hopes that as few spectators as possible will gather at the roadside in Corona times. It is known, however, that the queen stage to Alto de la Reina will have more than 4,000 meters of altitude.

Let´s hope that it can take place..

Reactions: RedheadDane
Route of Volta a la Comunitat Valenciana published:

As the organizers announced, there will be no further information about the course beyond the naming of the start and finish locations, so no route maps or profiles. Race director Ángel Casero hopes that as few spectators as possible will gather at the roadside in Corona times. It is known, however, that the queen stage to Alto de la Reina will have more than 4,000 meters of altitude.

Let´s hope that it can take place..

Interesting approach. I hope at least DS and cyclists will know :p

I wonder if they will be able to get vaccinated whilst there like Team UAE have.

I think the one that is available for the cyclists/teams is the one from China and I think like the majority it's a 2 dose one given 3 or 4 weeks apart, so that could make it harder for the teams to get it. From what I understand that vaccine is available to anyone who wants it in UAE and a few other countries in that part of the world.

TRENDING THREADS