• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Effects of coronavirus on professional races

Page 88 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Just checked the corona numbers in Europe a bit.
Countries where the numbers are increasing are:

Spain
Portugal
Great Britain

In all other countries in Europe the numbers are declining or at least stable.

For February we have a lot of races in Spain, France and the Volta ao Algarve.

So what do you expect. The french races will go ahead?
In Spain Mallorca and Murcia are already rescheduled. So we have Valencia, Almeria and Andalucia left.
In Portugal we have the Volta ao Algarve.

Just checked the corona numbers in Europe a bit.
Countries where the numbers are increasing are:

Spain
Portugal
Great Britain

In all other countries in Europe the numbers are declining or at least stable.

For February we have a lot of races in Spain, France and the Volta ao Algarve.

So what do you expect. The french races will go ahead?
In Spain Mallorca and Murcia are already rescheduled. So we have Valencia, Almeria and Andalucia left.
In Portugal we have the Volta ao Algarve.
Well,Vuelta ao Algarve just got postponed,hope we see it later in the year not next year

Postponed till May - May could be an interesting calendar.

The problem for these races is that their position in February is excellent and ensures a high-level field. A position in May does certainly not do that, the Spanish races which are usually held that time of year have awful start lists.

But the cancellation of the Tour of California might shift things a bit.

Neither the Mallorca nor Murcia races had high-level fields. I know this year Murcia was expecting its best ever field, but recently it's been only Movistar and Astana. Bora, Lotto Soudal and Trek would also go to Mallorca. Almeria is higher level but a dull sprinters; race.
I don't think the shift to May will hurt the quality much.

Neither the Mallorca nor Murcia races had high-level fields. I know this year Murcia was expecting its best ever field, but recently it's been only Movistar and Astana. Bora, Lotto Soudal and Trek would also go to Mallorca. Almeria is higher level but a dull sprinters; race.
I don't think the shift to May will hurt the quality much.

I agree, it's more the Ruta del Sol and Valencia races that worry because they have had really stacked fields in the past years, as has Algarve.

Reactions: Kaptain Kool
This hasn't been confirmed by the Japanese gvt, but this was first posted in the Times:

I won't be surprised in the least if the Olympics are cancelled, but at the moment the PM is declaring adamantly the games will go ahead. Curious as to what he'll say after this leak.

We are teetering on the edge of another full lockdown in France. The government has already canceled the ski season -- I'm not sure what would change between now and, say, Paris-Nice that would let that race go ahead. Yes, the Tour went on last year -- but opening up the country in July/Aug also helped contribute to another wave that led to Nov. lockdown ... etc etc.

re the Olympics, I don't see how they go ahead this year. There's not enough vaccinations happening. But I'd love to be happily surprised.

I agree. Especially after the Australian Open tennis fiasco going on in Oz right now.
I can imagine some countries will decide not to go.
However IOC and the Japanese gvt are standing fast for now, adamant the games will go ahead in whatever wave, shape or form. I read something about possibility of IOC allowing the UN step in to make the decision. I assume that would mean neither IOC or Japan would be liable for cancellation costs in that case - which is undoubtedly one reason neither side want to be the one to make the cancellation.

And to think just a month ago the Japanese gvt were talking about bringing in tourists from overseas for the games. The Japanese population won't be completely vaccinated by July. And that's not even related to people in other countries with their own covid and vaccination supply problems.

I hope there's cycling this year - I think they'll be able to put on races due to the success last year, though looking like a later season again.

I agree. Especially after the Australian Open tennis fiasco going on in Oz right now.
I can imagine some countries will decide not to go.
However IOC and the Japanese gvt are standing fast for now, adamant the games will go ahead in whatever wave, shape or form. I read something about possibility of IOC allowing the UN step in to make the decision. I assume that would mean neither IOC or Japan would be liable for cancellation costs in that case - which is undoubtedly one reason neither side want to be the one to make the cancellation.

And to think just a month ago the Japanese gvt were talking about bringing in tourists from overseas for the games. The Japanese population won't be completely vaccinated by July. And that's not even related to people in other countries with their own covid and vaccination supply problems.

I hope there's cycling this year - I think they'll be able to put on races due to the success last year, though looking like a later season again.
Agree, that the Olympic Games are not secured yet. There is a lot to organize and a lot of people from different countries are coming together.

For cycling in general I don´t see it that negative.
There will be race cancellations for february, march and perhaps april and may. But I don´t see that the whole cycling season including Tour de France is in danger that it will not happen.
We started to vaccinate the people a month ago and it´s clear that there are in the beginning produccion problems so that there is not enough vaccination for everyone in the beginning.
But with more authorised vaccines and more produccion every day more and more people will get vaccinated, so for the summer I´m staying very optimistic.
And even without vaccination the UCI managed to organize the most important races last season, so why wouldn´t they be able to organize the races this year?

Because it is almost more noteworthy this way around: the Gran Premio Valencia (1.2, Trofeo Luis Puig as was, Clàssica Comunitat Valenciana 1969 as they would apparently like us to call it but surely no-one will) has not yet been cancelled for Sunday, and the European season might be about to start...

We are heading for another postponememt of the classics season. I just hope that this time Paris-Roubaix isn't cancelled.

Regarding these early races, they can't all be postponed until May so I imagine that some will end up being cancelled.

Because it is almost more noteworthy this way around: the Gran Premio Valencia (1.2, Trofeo Luis Puig as was, Clàssica Comunitat Valenciana 1969 as they would apparently like us to call it but surely no-one will) has not yet been cancelled for Sunday, and the European season might be about to start...
and there even will be live coverage on Youtube :).

BEAT Cycling has cancelled its participation though, after their DS tested positive for Covid-19 yesterday morning.

Reactions: Koronin

TRENDING THREADS