• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

"El Pistolero" out of amo?

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
WTF??

5 stage wins in 5 Grand Tours wins! Even Indurain did better than that!

He should have proved that he's stronger! Today, I couldn't believe my eyes! That wasn't sportsmanship, that was weakness, he was affraid of Schleck and, of what he might say after the race, when he should have pumelled him into the ground and shut him up(and his booing fanboys) for good!

Com'on Conti! Cut the goodie goodie crap! Time to win some stages!

Oct 26, 2009
Visit site
Belokki said:
WTF??

He should have proved that he's the stronger! Today, I couldn't believe my eyes! That wasn't sportsmanship, that was weakness, he was affraid of Schleck and, of what he might say after the race, when he should have pumelled him into the ground and shut him up(and his booing fanboys) for good!

It really says a lot about how much we probably haven't accomplished in own lives when we sit around complaining about a guy who is about to win 5 Grand Tours at the age of 27. Oh, how many pro cyclists would love to be in AC's shoes!

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
Belokki said:
WTF??

He should have proved that he's stronger! Today, I couldn't believe my eyes! That wasn't sportsmanship, that was weakness, he was affraid of Schleck and, of what he might say after the race, when he should have pumelled him into the ground and shut him up(and his booing fanboys) for good!

I think the lack of bonus points has taken the imetus away from GC riders to fight for stages in the Tour. Yeah, it's nice... but what really matters is putting time into your rivals. Contador's 2nd place today and on Mende got him the same time gains winning those stages would have.

We need bonus seconds back in the race. There should be an incentive for GC guys to work to WIN a stage... not just gap their opponents.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
ManInFull said:
It really says a lot about how much we probably haven't accomplished in own lives when we sit around complaining about a guy who is about to win 5 Grand Tours at the age of 27. Oh, how many pro cyclists would love to be in AC's shoes!

Boring! Thats something I'd expect from a Miguel Indurain or and aged Armstrong! When is Rico coming back, maybe he'll **** him of enough in the mountains to make him go back to his explosive self again!

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Well, first of all saying he only won 5 stages in 5 Grand Tours is a silly thing to say. You have to look at each and every Grand Tour separately.

In the Giro of 2008 he didn't win any stage because he was very ill prepared. He was on the beach when he was told a week before the Giro started that he'd participate in it. How many cyclists do you think that can pull something like that of today? Not much, I'll tell you that.

In his Tour de France of 2007 he won 1 stage, and could have won more of them if it wasn't for Rasmussen being doped. Oh, and he was only 24 years old...

In his Vuelta of 2008 he won 2 stages. Nothing wrong with that? There's been a lot of people who won a Grand Tour with 1 or 2 stages only.

In his Tour de France of 2009 he won 2 stages and a Team Time Trial.

ManInFull said:

not me. THe pain isnt worth it.

+ its extremely insulting to attack those you dont know for being failures becauser they didnt make it in sport. How the f**k do you even know who your speaking too.

There is life beyond sport and there are accomplishments beyond winning grand tours.

when you say " we havent accomplished" speak for yourself.

Sep 19, 2009
Visit site
I'm kind of glad that we haven't seen the pistol salute yet, I hope it stays that way, at least 'till the podium. Point to the sky, cradle the baby, put up 3 fingers, anything.
Please AC drop the gun.

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
McClimber said:
AC gave the stage to AS as a gift. Totally obvious.
That would have been weaselly to wheel-suck the whole way and make a dash to the line. He might as well just did a pistol shot at Shrek's chain when they crossed the line to drive home who was strongest.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Fourier said:
I'm kind of glad that we haven't seen the pistol salute yet, I hope it stays that way, at least 'till the podium. Point to the sky, cradle the baby, put up 3 fingers, anything.
Please AC drop the gun.

It's better then that cat cleaning its ear salute of Cavendish though xD

I laugh really hard every time I see Conti doing that salute as if he's an 8 year old boy xD

His nickname is one of the better ones in the current peloton though.

Fourier said:
Please AC drop the gun.

He has used the pistol salute, when he won the yellow jersey on the podium. I remember cos i was thinking to myself that he must be embarrased if he is not doing the pistol salute and right as i thought that, he did it.

Mar 12, 2010
Visit site
I don´t think that this is a problem... winning GT today is not about winning stages (we like it or not), he finished Top7 in 7 stages in this TdF (and ITT is still to come) so that just proves his stability... he could have easily won one or two, wasn´t to be for various reasons but for him that is not the ultimate challenge
we shall all rather appreciate the fact he is one of only 5 in the history to win all 3 GTs, he achieved that when he was 25, won Giro (remember almost without training) and Vuelta, 2 toughest races in the world in my opinion, in one year, is close to winning his 3rd TdF (from his last 3 participations) and is constantly having great results in events like Paris-Nice, Dauphine, Vuelta a País Vasco etc.... he is simply great champion

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Quid pro quo said:
For the record Rasmussen did fail a doping test during that tour. It did not come out until August.

But Bruyneel was Contador's DS at the time so suspicion must be upon himself also.

What certainly was suspicious was his performance last year. This year was much more realistic.

Really? Didn't know that, do you have a source for that(not that I don't believe you)?

--

AC still has a chance to win the ITT, so not all is lost yet even if the odds are against him. He'll be extra motivated to catch his butt buddy(just joking), so he'll fly over that course!

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
El Pistolero said:
Really? Didn't know that, do you have a source for that(not that I don't believe you)?

--

AC still has a chance to win the ITT, so not all is lost yet even if the odds are against him. He'll be extra motivated to catch his **** buddy, so he'll fly over that course!

If Cancellara fals of his bike for some misterious reason, than yes!

Radioshack has been conserving energy in the last few days, only doing enough to win the team clasification, so watch out for Levi...

ManInFull said:

Well stated, I think you just summed up the good majority of statements that have been posted on any Cyclingnews forum thread. Yes perhaps Contador should have attacked, just like I should have stayed with the bunch I got dropped from at last weeks race.

TRENDING THREADS