• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Enric Mas Rising Star

Page 14 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

Tim Booth said:
Akuryo said:
Tim Booth said:
Akuryo said:
Red Rick said:
Mas probably went from being worth a 200-300k contract to over a million, so it's kinda easy to see why QS wouldn't have the money

He extended last year, after his rookie campaign. I doubt he signed for much of an upgrade compared to the first deal. What did he achieve in that neo pro season? 2nd Overall at Burgos and 3rd at one Vuelta stage. So it really shouldnt matter what Mas would be would be worth now, since he signed that contract last year already. As basically a talented nobody. IF Quickstep has to let riders go because of money problems, Jungels, Stybar, Gilbert or Alaphilippe should save much more money than the contract Enric Mas signed in late 2017. Heck, I bet even Sabatini, Richeze and Lampaert get more money!
2nd in the Vuelta pushes up the value of a rider to a team significantly

I did not question that. All I said was that he is under contract from a time where he wasnt second at the Vuelta! And we dont know if his salary had a clause that would skyrocket if certain results would appear.
no, but the chances are that a team with money will make QS an offer they can't refuse.
Look at what Team Sky paid Garmin for Bradley when he broke his contract with them...

Okay, that could be a possibility. My bad. Hadnt thought far enough. :eek:

perico said:
It sounds like Lefevre was adamant about the priority of keeping Mas in the interview posted on the news page.
Haven't read the interview yet, but it kind of makes sense. It will be much harder for him to snatch up a guy of the same level as Mas, as it is to try and convince Mas to stay. It will also be easier for his team to replace Gaviria, than it will be to replace Mas. As the nr1 classics and sprint team, they won't have nearly as much problems to find a next in line there.

EDIT: http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/gavirias-future-still-unclear-after-deceuninck-come-to-lefeveres-aid/
A report in La Gazzetta dello Sport claimed that the sprinter was set to move to UAE Team Emirates, while Lefevere’s latest climbing sensation, Enric Mas, was linked in a move to Astana. The latter's future is set at Quick-Step, with Lefevere stating that the Spaniard will not leave under any circumstances, but Gaviria's 2019 squad remains unclear.

yup

perico said:
Bumping because a rider of this potential should never be relegated to the 4th page on the day of La Vuelta route announcement. Look forward to seeing him on stage 13.

He will (probably) go to the Tour. And since many stars are going to the Giro in 2019, that could actually be really good for him. With an abundance of good riders having either the Giro in their legs or even missing the Tour entirely, I think Mas can get something between 3 and 5 in the overall standings in July.

Re: Re:

Logic-is-your-friend said:
Red Rick said:
If he smiles you should recognize him.

Ginormous mouth + not Aru = Mas
This could also be Julia Roberts.
giphy.gif

Jungels and Alaphilippe could actually be really amazing support riders for Mas if they sacrifice themselves. Especially Jungels if he does the Kiryienka and sheds everybody in the mountains. But that probably wont happen. QS has never been the "all for one guy" team. They will once again go for stages with 6 different riders instead of putting everybody around Mas.

jfazendeiro said:
LaFlorecita said:
Wee 30 minute chat between Enric and Alberto. In Spanish
http://www.rtve.es/deportes/20181227/alberto-contador-enric-mas-estado-puro/1859441.shtml

May be geoblocked (use a VPN)

Enric Mas plan till July: Volta ao Algarve (February), Volta a Catalunya (March), Itzulia, Flèche Wallone Liège-Bastogne-Liège (April) and Tour de Suisse (June). Should have training camps in March and May.

Sounds like a good schedule/buildup before going to the Tour.

Re:

Akuryo said:
Jungels and Alaphilippe could actually be really amazing support riders for Mas if they sacrifice themselves. Especially Jungels if he does the Kiryienka and sheds everybody in the mountains. But that probably wont happen. QS has never been the "all for one guy" team. They will once again go for stages with 6 different riders instead of putting everybody around Mas.
Fine by me, WTS went all in for Yates last year and we all know how that played out.

They've performed outstanding in GT's, a ridiculous amount of stages and plenty of GC results.

It's not mutually exclusive. QS just needs to kill it in the TTT and then they don't really have to carry the race much for Mas anyway.

If it so happens to be that Mas becomes a player for yellow, the boys can sacrifice themselves. Jungels and Alaphilippe should be good enough in the mountains to prevent Mas getting isolated early. Only little issue with this is Jungels, who is a very marginal GC rider but a very good engine, will do the double. I don't think Jungels is good enough uphill to make all the important selections in the mountains if he's coming off a Giro.

Lack of team support could be a problem for Mas, although with Sky expecting to go all out "marginal gains" in their last TdF it's going to tough anyway. White jersey, top 10, maybe, a big learning experience - hope he can enjoy it.