• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Entry level bike

Feb 28, 2010
Visit site
I'm looking to buy my first road bike. Havn't got much to spend so I am looking at something cheap. I have been a cycle fan for a long time and as the spring is getting closer here i Norway I feel the urge to get out of the couch and start pedaling like my heroes. :p I need the exercise aswell, and I don't know why I havn't gotten a road bike before.

Havn't got a clue what to look for in a bike, so maybe someone can help me. I might also go abroad as I think my price range is below what I can find in Norway.

Can I get something decent for about 650 euros / 900 USD?

Mar 16, 2009
ellobodelmar.spaces.live.com
MagnusW said:
I'm looking to buy my first road bike. Havn't got much to spend so I am looking at something cheap. I have been a cycle fan for a long time and as the spring is getting closer here i Norway I feel the urge to get out of the couch and start pedaling like my heroes. :p I need the exercise aswell, and I don't know why I havn't gotten a road bike before.

Havn't got a clue what to look for in a bike, so maybe someone can help me. I might also go abroad as I think my price range is below what I can find in Norway.

Here's a thread about bikes in that price range Dim ended up with the Kona

http://forum.cyclingnews.com/showthread.php?t=4642

Aug 16, 2009
Visit site
I would go to a local dealer or three - and possibly one that sells used bikes - and see what they have to offer in your size. Buy local especially for a first bike. I'm not sure what will be available in Europe at the best pricing.

MagnusW said:

There was just a thread a few weeks ago that was pretty comprehensive.

Jul 29, 2009
Visit site
AlisonRuther said:
I am new to cycling and as I read the posts here, I get more and more excited. I was wondering where to start with upgrading my bike?

Welcome to cycling. I guess it really depends on what you're riding, what you're riding for, what your budget is, and what your targets/ambitions in cycling are. If you're interested in racing, typically wheels are going to make the biggest difference if you have an otherwise decent bike. But if you just want to enjoy the road, maybe some of the other components will guarantee a smoother and quieter ride. If you're on flat pedals, upgrading to cleats would make a huge difference in terms of performance. Not much of an answer, I'm afraid: it all sorta depends.

A

Anonymous

Spam alert !!!

alisonruther said:
i am new to cycling and as i read the posts here, i get more and more excited. I was wondering where to start with upgrading my bike?

spam alert!!!
Spam alert!!!
Spam alert!!!
Spam alert!!!