• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Epic MTB rides

Mar 5, 2009
Visit site
One of the great joys of mountain biking is the epic ride with friends. For my riding buddies an Epic means a ride of ambitious length and difficulty, takes several hours longer than we told our spouses, someone breaks something (bike or body) and we usually run out of provisions along the way.

1) Lake Pleasant to Crown King - 65 miles and all climbing to the turn around point. 10 hours at best.

3) Soul Ride - 100 mile event that used to be run in Tucson, Arizona. Got pulled at 73 miles (12 hours in) and have been hassling the promoter to bring the ride back so I can get a crack at finishing.

What are your epics?

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
To my best riding buddy & me, epic means more than 2x our normal daily mileage; to our 3rd wheel (now in Iraq), epic would have been anything where he could hang with us for more than five miles. To my daughter, epic is anything that doesn't have a destination -- winds up in the area of 15-25 miles.

Now, when I ride solo, epic is not only more than 2x daily, it's seeing corners of town/county I've not seen. It's 3+ hours of sweat and burning lungs; emptying the 2-liter bladder in my hydration pack, plus the 20oz. Gatorade.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
After moving to Norway from Alabama in late '07, my definition of an epic ride has changed considerably. I'll just say I really had no idea....:D

That said, I couldn't be happier. The season is short here (for me, not the natives...), but the riding is just unbelievable.

The overnighter

Through my blog I've taken up a challenge to ride a century once a month every month for this year. These are epic rides as mine are offroad. I enjoy spending time in the saddle and after your bum goes numb then its all the same;)

Apr 13, 2009
Visit site
Mating cats

A veterinarian surgeon had had a hell of a day, but when he got home from tending to all the sick animals his wife was waiting with a long cool drink and a romantic candle-lit dinner, after which AIR JORDANS had a few more drinks and went happily to bed.At about 2:00 in the morning, the phone rang. "Is this the vet?" asked an elderly lady's voice."Yes, NIKE SHOES is", replied the vet, "Is this an emergency?""Well, sort of", said the elderly lady, "there's a whole bunch of cats on the roof outside making a terrible noise mating and I can't get to sleep. What can wow power leveling do about it?" There was a sharp intake of breath from the vet, who then patiently replied "Open the window and tell NIKE SHOX they're wanted on the phone""Really?" said the elderly lady, "Will that stop them?""Should do," said the vet, "- ecosway STOPPED ME!"

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
Thought I’d revive this thread.

epic ride -- Mountain Hero Trail, near Whitehorse, Yukon (28 km, climbs 1400 m)

Ride starts with a climb up old mining roads on Montana Mountain that level off in the alpine. Amazing views at the summit with historic mining artifacts from remains of Mountain Hero silver mine to check out. The descent is singletrack and it's a fast flowy ride down to the tree-line and Nares Lake.

Video clip of the ride:
http://youtu.be/xW_CtOCxD1U

Edit: Uh oh, it's no longer a secret. Whitehorse was voted world's best biking destination by Outside Magazine 03-12-2013.
http://www.outsideonline.com/adventure-travel/travel-awards/Best-Biking-Destination-Whitehorse-Yukon-Territory.html
Before you only saw wildlife on the ride, now you might see another rider...:)

Jul 17, 2009
Visit site
Although not the day long epic-ness destination described above.

the Cooks corner to the luge route is a rare epic short ride (longer if continued Harding-Peak-Joplin-Old Camp-Luge-loop)

but the climbing and descending are equally challenging and the end reward at a biker bar with crummy southern rock cover bands and PBR is epic and the closest thing in socal to a pub loop like UK offers everywhere you ride practically

ChrisRider

BANNED
Mar 6, 2013
www.reefbikes.com.au
I can imagine there would be some epic mountain bike adventures up in Europe, ive never ridden in cold icey mountain conditions, that would be amazing. Down here we dont have too many great tracks compared to some other countries. Would be cool to go a group mountain bike tour or Europe or something at some stage.

TRENDING THREADS