• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Erik Zabel - the best sprinter?

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Hi all... I do not have the stats, but as far as consistency goes... has anyone else noticed that Erik Zabel seemed to have 100's of seconda place finishes? I think when you look at his victories and add up the silvers he easily out strips all the others for the title.

Was definitely one of the greats, accumulating prestigious wins throughout the year. It feels like a moot point to bring up the doping issues, considering its prevalence in the peloton at the time.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
I think his 6 consecutive maillots vert put him pretty conclusively among the top sprinters of all time. You are right about his 2nd places too, he's not one to give up the sprint the moment it seems like he can't get the win, not to mention any names (Petacchi). I recall that at the 2007 Milano - San Remo Zabel led out Petacchi, Petacchi gave up, and Zabel kept sprinting and ended up passing him before the line.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
more than just wins

when considering the "best" sprinter, there are several things to look at other than just the win. Consistency is huge and his number of 2nds indicates that consistency. You know how it can be with the difference between 1st and 2nd in just millimeters. Zabel is also lacking the ginormous ego that comes along with many sprinters. Not to say that he doesn't have one, but at least it's not the quality you first notice of him. I've always admired him - his ability to win, his ability to be consistent and his ability to not whine or give up (which got him that MSR 2007 win!).

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
And, don't forget, Zabel could actually climb pretty well. He was rarely in danger of time cuts when he rode the tour mountain stages.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
As far as whos the best sprinter, regarding top speed in the last 200 mts. you have to consider Abdujaparov.
This guy never had a decent lead out train and wasn't the smartest going for the line, but he sprinted lights out each and every time! Not for nothing he had one of the most horrendous crashes in a TdF finale.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
kurti_sc said:
when considering the "best" sprinter, there are several things to look at other than just the win. Consistency is huge and his number of 2nds indicates that consistency. You know how it can be with the difference between 1st and 2nd in just millimeters. Zabel is also lacking the ginormous ego that comes along with many sprinters. Not to say that he doesn't have one, but at least it's not the quality you first notice of him. I've always admired him - his ability to win, his ability to be consistent and his ability to not whine or give up (which got him that MSR 2007 win!).

Average 14 wins over a 16 yr. career = flat out stud!

In the movie "Hell on Wheels" he comes across as a very humble and laid back guy.
http://firstrunfeatures.com/hellonwheelsdvd.html

His stats:
http://www.cyclingwebsite.net/coureuruitslagenfiche.php?coureurid=6636

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Impossible to compare with the older generations, guys like Darrigade or Maertens.

In the last two decades I was most impressed by the pure sprinting powers of Abdu and Cipo.
Zabel was more consistent but when it comes to pure sprinting power: not the best by a long shot.

Still love the guy though.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
It was hard watching him ride durring the last couple of years my wife was nearly brought to tears watching him get second place after second place always missing out on the win aspecialy the 2007 world championships.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Definately one of the greatest RIDERS of all time, never stopped even in the off season was doing the six day races. As for the best sprinter? Can't give him that, as everyone agrees, No. 1 for consistancy and able to get wins where the other pure sprinters could not.

I'll bet a large percentage of those 2nd places came in the years leading up to his retirement. He often had to share team captaincy with Riis and then Ullrich during the grand tours which limited the number of riders devoted to delivering him to the line. He may not have had the top end speed of Cipo or Alejet but he was resourceful, tenacious, well rounded, consistent and quite gracious. Thing is there is something unique to all the great sprinters which is what makes the sport so great. Zabel's head bobbing while he's sprinting. Petacchi and Cippolini had similar styles-just smooth acceleration with a minimal amount of perceived effort. Freire is the rare elite sprinter that can finish in the top 10 of the Ardennes Classics like LBL. McEwen needs little as far as team support to bring him to victory.

My all time favorite though has to Mario Cippolini. An entertainer on wheels who could back up all his flash.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
I think in general I prefer the little sprinters like McEwen, Friere, Zabel and Cavendish that have a very fast kick, as opposed to the big guys like Boonen, Petacchi and Cippolini that have a huge motor and a high top speed but need a well-organised leadout train to get the win.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Angliru said:
My all time favorite though has to Mario Cippolini. An entertainer on wheels who could back up all his flash.

No one was more fun to watch that Cippolini. The man has raw style. No doubt about it. However. . .

Zabel is undoubtedly one of the best ever - if not the best. What I love most about Zabel is how he just kept riding even after he quit winning. The guy loves bike racing and just couldn't bear to hang up his wheels. Sure, talk all you want about going out on top, but Zabel was a gentleman to the end.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Flamme Rouge said:
As far as whos the best sprinter, regarding top speed in the last 200 mts. you have to consider Abdujaparov.
This guy never had a decent lead out train and wasn't the smartest going for the line, but he sprinted lights out each and every time! Not for nothing he had one of the most horrendous crashes in a TdF finale.

I would have loved to see Abdou, Van Poppel, McEwen and Cav, all in their prime, in the last 400m of a chaotic mass sprint. I think the great cycling fan in the sky purposely spread them out so that the four of them didn't take down the entire peloton in one fell swoop!

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
53x11 in DC said:
I would have loved to see Abdou, Van Poppel, McEwen and Cav, all in their prime, in the last 400m of a chaotic mass sprint. I think the great cycling fan in the sky purposely spread them out so that the four of them didn't take down the entire peloton in one fell swoop!

If Abdou set off at a dodgy angle, he'll pretty much take them all down with one slip:D

Mar 12, 2009
Visit site
Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Kelly

I can't believe no one has mentioned Sean Kelly. 4 time TdF green jersey winner, multiple classics and he wont he Vuelta. What a classy guy.

Mar 12, 2009
Visit site
Zabel is great! By Freddy Maertens was pretty impressive! The way he dominated certain editions of the Tour and the Vuelta haven't been seen of late. He also won one of his world championships in a pack sprint, beating Saronni and Hinault (1981, Brno).

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Better than any trophy

Speaking of sprinters, you think Tyler Farrarwill have this photo on his wall - with names?

PIC10818328.jpg

Isn't that Cavendish, Boonen, Hushovd, McEwen, O'Grady, and Petacchi?

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Brilliant pic.
One aspect of Zabel which has to be considered is his doping confession. If you believe it, which at the moment I pretty well do, it means he raced the last 12 years clean. He got his wins and seconds clean. In an era of heavy doping where does that now place him?
Pretty near the very top in the history of the sport I reckon.

TRENDING THREADS