• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

ESPN 30 for 30 "9.79"

May 27, 2012
Visit site
You need to watch this if you get the chance. Amazing documentary on the doping during the Carl Lewis (still lying through his teeth about being clean) and Ben Johnson (caught and still trying to justify it).

Interesting information about HGH, and beating doping tests in the 80's. Doctors talking, and a few athletes being honest, and most of the others claiming it was the other guys. Test's lost. Special favors being handed out. Lewis testing positive and handing in his vitamins and saying they were contaminated. Nothing new under the sun.

Amazing television.

ChewbaccaD said:
You need to watch this if you get the chance. Amazing documentary on the doping during the Carl Lewis (still lying through his teeth about being clean) and Ben Johnson (caught and still trying to justify it).

Interesting information about HGH, and beating doping tests in the 80's. Doctors talking, and a few athletes being honest, and most of the others claiming it was the other guys. Test lost. Special favors being handed out.

Amazing television.

Is it on iTunes or something similar? I'd love to watch it.

May 27, 2012
Visit site
thehog said:
Is it on iTunes or something similar? I'd love to watch it.

It's live now, but hopefully it will be on iTunes. If I can find a link to it somewhere, I will post it later. Hopefully, ESPN will put it up on their site.

Jul 2, 2012
Visit site
It's hard to look at Lewis and Johnson at the same time and say that Lewis was doing steroids. He looks like a woman compared to Johnson.
ChewbaccaD said:
Amazing television.

May 27, 2012
Visit site
idttywlm said:
It's hard to look at Lewis and Johnson at the same time and say that Lewis was doing steroids. He looks like a woman compared to Johnson.

It's not hard to look at Lewis and say he is a lying piece of sh!t after watching this. He was busted and the USOC covered it up for him. He doped. Maybe Johnson was a better responder?

Jul 2, 2012
Visit site
Jesuz krist calm down. I didn't say I thought he didn't dope, I said he looked like a woman in comparison. No wonder most newer people don't want to post here.

ChewbaccaD said:
It's not hard to look at Lewis and say he is a lying piece of sh!t after watching this. He was busted and the USOC covered it up for him. He doped. Maybe Johnson was a better responder?

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
idttywlm said:

What's more, Johnson's physique would not be notable among today's sprinters. Makes you wonder.

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
KayLow said:
What's more, Johnson's physique would not be notable among today's sprinters. Makes you wonder.

What's to wonder? That all of the major male/female sprinters come from small carribean islands with virtually no oversight the physiques are totally understandable. Most of MLB's steroid busts have been young baseball players from Central and South America and obtaining their PEDs regionally. Track and Field set the tone for fringy sports vying for media dollars any way that it could. The 30X30 episode suggests that Network and USOC pressure to have a clean American presence was quick code for "managed risk program".

Here's a little tidbit that is of vital importance-

Ben Johnson stated in an interview that even though he was on 'roids, he wasn't taking what he busted for at the time.

Then it turns out, from watching this documentary, that some clown from the Santa Monica Track Club was following Johnson around spiking his drinks whenever and wherever he could, something I believe both Lewis and his coach were involved in from the manner in which they spoke about it.

I never liked Carl Lewis, and I like him less after watching this program. Lewis is very dismissive of his own doping issues and brushes them aside with a very casual "whatever". Classless goon if there ever was one.

Berzin said:

Ben Johnson stated in an interview that even though he was on 'roids, he wasn't taking what he busted for at the time.

Then it turns out, from watching this documentary, that some clown from the Santa Monica Track Club was following Johnson around spiking his drinks whenever and wherever he could he could, something I believe both Lewis and his coach were involved in from the manner in which they spoke about it.

I never like Carl Lewis, and I like him less after watching this program. Lewis is very dismissive of his own doping issues and brushes them aside with a very casual "whatever". Classless goon if there ever was one.

If you read Charlie Francis's book "Speed Trap" be goes into great detail about being spiked. He talked about the guy in the testing room at the time.

Francis was Johnson's coach. Francis was the Ferrari of his era.

May 27, 2012
Visit site
Berzin said:

Then it turns out, from watching this documentary, that some clown from the Santa Monica Track Club was following Johnson around spiking his drinks whenever and wherever he could he could, something I believe both Lewis and his coach were involved in from the manner in which they spoke about it.

I never like Carl Lewis, and I like him less after watching this program. Lewis is very dismissive of his own doping issues and brushes them aside with a very casual "whatever". Classless goon if there ever was one.

Yea, when they contacted the guy who was in the room, who is accused of spiking the drink, he said, something to the effect of "maybe it did happen, and maybe it didn't."

And Lewis came off a real scum. A lying doper who thinks his win is valid because he was never sanctioned even though he was busted and then pulled out of the fire by the governing body...Hey Lance, on top of being a doping, lying piece of sh!t, you aren't even original. Lame.

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
Really great show

Not sure what is more comical, watching them all deny, Lewis' singing, or the Kid and Play haircut?

back them most of my roommates where sprinters. One lived for a while down in Huston training with Carl. He always said he heard they were doing HGH and non-traceable stuff like BALCO developed.

Ben getting caught only made the issue worse. It was clear if you wanted to win you needed to dope big. In 1993 I was living in Switzerland and my roommate made it to the World Championships in Stuttgart. I went to watch him and I ended up under the stadium when John Regis and linford Christie came by after a heat for the 4x100. It was insane. They looked like bodybuilders. It was ridiculous

Race Radio said:
Really great show

Not sure what is more comical, watching them all deny, Lewis' singing, or the Kid and Play haircut?

back them most of my roommates where sprinters. One lived for a while down in Huston training with Carl. He always said he heard they were doing HGH and non-traceable stuff like BALCO developed.

Ben getting caught only made the issue worse. It was clear if you wanted to win you needed to dope big. In 1993 I was living in Switzerland and my roommate made it to the World Championships in Stuttgart. I went to watch him and I ended up under the stadium when John Regis and linford Christie came by after a heat for the 4x100. It was insane. They looked like bodybuilders. It was ridiculous

Christie became worldclass at 32. Go figure that one out. He used to train in the Australia summer when England was winter. Agreed. Absolutely massive.

May 27, 2012
Visit site
idttywlm said:
Jesuz krist calm down. I didn't say I thought he didn't dope, I said he looked like a woman in comparison. No wonder most newer people don't want to post here.

Lighten up Frances, I wasn't flaming you. If you're run off by something simple as that, I'd hate to see how fast you'd high tail it when you actually p!ssed me off.

May 13, 2009
Visit site
ChewbaccaD said:
Yea, when they contacted the guy who was in the room, who is accused of spiking the drink, he said, something to the effect of "maybe it did happen, and maybe it didn't."

I couldn't believe that. I was expecting some evasive vanilla answer along the lines of "no comment". Not a non-admission admission.

ChewbaccaD said:
Richard Pound makes an appearance.

Catlin makes an appearance (for those who have not seen it). I am glad tester's have the same curiosity I do regarding old samples and new tests. I also liked how casual he made it seem to start testing old samples from 88 with new tests. I am guessing the protocol is a little different these days.

Race Radio said:
Lewis' singing

Thank god, I kept hoping that they wouldn't insert that at some point. No matter how bad it makes Carl look, it isn't fair to the ears. It added to the suspense.

Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
Berzin said:

Then it turns out, from watching this documentary, that some clown from the Santa Monica Track Club was following Johnson around spiking his drinks whenever and wherever he could, something I believe both Lewis and his coach were involved in from the manner in which they spoke about it.

I never liked Carl Lewis, and I like him less after watching this program. Lewis is very dismissive of his own doping issues and brushes them aside with a very casual "whatever". Classless goon if there ever was one.

I don't buy the story from Ben Johnson that Lewis' old teammate from the Santa Monica Track Club spiked those drinks that Ben drank causing him to test positive. That would be very difficult to do to cause a false positive. More likely, Lewis teammate was in the doping control rooms to swap some dirty urine samples for some clean ones. Would think that Lewis' own track coach would take a big interest in that. Lewis' friend should have never been in the doping control rooms at all.

May 18, 2009
Visit site
I watched it last nite. I was wondering if somebody would mention it in here.

Amazing stuff in the 80's. No OOC testing, HGH, diuretics/masking, cover ups. I bet it was not confined to track, as Fignon etal have proven.

Amazing that a clean athlete could win in that situation. :rolleyes:

May 27, 2012
Visit site
ChrisE said:
I watched it last nite. I was wondering if somebody would mention it in here.

Amazing stuff in the 80's. No OOC testing, HGH, diuretics/masking, cover ups. I bet it was not confined to track, as Fignon etal have proven.

Amazing that a clean athlete could win in that situation. :rolleyes:

See, we agree on something. Wanna hold hands, listen to an Enya song, and drink some Chamomile tea?