• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

ESPN 30 for 30 "9.79"

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
ChrisE said:
I watched it last nite. I was wondering if somebody would mention it in here.

Amazing stuff in the 80's. No OOC testing, HGH, diuretics/masking, cover ups. I bet it was not confined to track, as Fignon etal have proven.

Amazing that a clean athlete could win in that situation. :rolleyes:

ok, but those were the eighties.
as JV would say, it's so much cleaner now.
:rolleyes:

sniper said:
Yes, I will hold his words against him. Sorry if you don't like it.

Then do it in an appropriate thread that actually is about JV or Garmin. Don't do it in very other thread you put your brain f@rts in. Trust me, it will be much appreciated by most Clinic-visitors.

And anyhow, JV stated that it is now cleaner than in the nineties and noughties. Please provide a link where he says it it is now much cleaner than in the eighties.

What is it with these drug cheats that they still cling to a semblance of innocence? Johnston & Landis both the same: both caught more than once, both now admitting cheating , but both denying the test & substance that really mattered. Are they still deluded or is the testing just not that accurate?

I watched it last night too. Very good doc. Glad they didn't pull any punches. Also interesting to see that Johnson is still trying to rationalize it, and Lewis still having issues with the truth. But the show painted a bigger picture than that, a somber one, not that different from the dark side of our sport.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
coinneach said:
What is it with these drug cheats that they still cling to a semblance of innocence? Johnston & Landis both the same: both caught more than once, both now admitting cheating , but both denying the test & substance that really mattered. Are they still deluded or is the testing just not that accurate?

You forgot Lewis. He got caught during the trials.

Wonder if Lewis didn't get caught during the trials and got done during the olympics would IOC have swept it all under the carpet and Johnson would still have his gold.

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
I saw this documentary at the Toronto International Film Festival a month ago. The director and Ben Johnson were at the screening for the Q&A. I even took a picture with Ben. Seemed like an awfully nice guy, very soft spoken and accommodating. The audience treated him like a celebrity.

It's an OK film for those of us who know about the cover-ups and conspiracies. This film is more for the masses who wonder why Ben Johnson took steroids in the Seoul Games.

note ---- it's on again right now - Wednesday 9 pm eastern time

i haven't read this whole thread but i would bet that espn barely mentions anything about usain bolt being dirty in this documentary or them fawning over him in his visits to their studios. media and athlete/celebs have a very incestuous coexistence. the media will seldom turn on them before they lose their ratings drawing ability