• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

ESPN 30 for 30 Marion Jones

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
Her best bet is to come clean. She has nothing left to gain or keep by denying. Now she can sell books and open some doors.

May 11, 2009
Visit site
Boeing said:
http://30for30.espn.com/film/marion-jones-press-pause.html

I read a review suggesting she was let off easy in this mini Documentary.

Looks to me like she owned up to it, served the time (hard time I might add; 6 months with 3 weeks in solitary) and now promotes a positive message.

To my knowledge she has never admitted to doping. Her tearful speech was about betraying the trust of her fans and admitting she lied to federal agents. If I remember correctly, she went on Oprah and wouldn't admit she took PEDs (I didn't actually see it - second hand info).

On the topic of Marion Jones, what is story of Trevor Graham?? This is the guy who is often pointed to as putting top track athletes on BALCO programs. OTOH, isn't he the person who sent TGH to UCLA anonymously and is single handedly responsible for uncovering BALCO?

jimmypop said:
The solitary was her own doing, but this is a reminder that lying to federal investigators can land you in federal prison.

Yeah, and that in prison you get into fights. And I'm pretty sure Marion Jones could handle herself against other female inmates better than any skinny cyclist could against other male inmates.

Roland Rat said:
Yeah, and that in prison you get into fights. And I'm pretty sure Marion Jones could handle herself against other female inmates better than any skinny cyclist could against other male inmates.
Do you reckon he's lifting weights and what not to change his physique in time, now that the Tour is not a concern?

Mar 12, 2010
Visit site
hrotha said:
Do you reckon he's lifting weights and what not to change his physique in time, now that the Tour is not a concern?

Yeah, with all the juice in his system, and the years of doping his body already used to performing with the special additives, he would be ripped and ready to fight.

Jul 17, 2009
Visit site
The brief description of Jeff Novitzky's interrogation techniques and the broad reaching authority the Feds have was a little haunting IMHO.

Jeff Novitzky sounds like a real SOB interrogator

I thought she was genuine. She said clearly that she surrounded herself with the wrong people.

Too often these gifted athletes find a posse (or the posse finds then) who gravy train their personl ambision ahead fo the athletes. Not to make and excuse for her at all but clearly she never had anyone, family included, who told her NO! to anything.

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
Boeing said:
The brief description of Jeff Novitzky's interrogation techniques and the broad reaching authority the Feds have was a little haunting IMHO.

Jeff Novitzky sounds like a real SOB interrogator

I thought she was genuine. She said clearly that she surrounded herself with the wrong people.

Too often these gifted athletes find a posse (or the posse finds then) who gravy train their personl ambision ahead fo the athletes. Not to make and excuse for her at all but clearly she never had anyone, family included, who told her NO! to anything.

As one of the people in the Documentary said, Jones knew 100% what she was doing, it was not others that forced her to dope. It was a nice PR piece about redemption but Jones did try to shift the blame to others. She has never been truthful, even in her confession.

She even tried to shift some of the blame for lying to Novitzky....so he showed her a bag of The Clear and asked her if she used it. That is not a reason to lie to a federal investigator.

People wonder why the BALCO case cost so much money, It is because people like Jones and Bonds lied to investigators causing the case to drag on for years.

One of the key points of the documentary that applies to the Armstrong case was the interview with Jone's lawyer. You will note that before she testified he told her very clearly "You DO NOT lie to the Feds" Armstrong, Hincapie, VDV, Hamilton, Spencer and others are getting the same advice from their lawyers.

May 11, 2009
Visit site
veganrob said:
Marion Jones has admitted to using steroids before the 2000 Olympics.

You have a reference for that? The only data I've seen was in 2007.

1. Admitted (and convicted) of lying to federal authorities. Are there transcripts of her conviction?
2. Press conference apologizing for 'betraying the trust of her fans'.
3. A letter she wrote to family and friends where she admitted to them she used drugs. But the media never saw this letter and only know the contents based on communication with someone close to her.
4. Went on Oprah and did not say that she took drugs.

I want to see this 30-for-30 special. Her story is tragic but she is not a victim of 'people around her'. She continually surrounded herself with trouble (her choice), committed fraud, cheated and lied. Sounds like an offender to me - not a victim.

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
compete_clean said:
You have a reference for that? The only data I've seen was in 2007.

1. Admitted (and convicted) of lying to federal authorities. Are there transcripts of her conviction?
2. Press conference apologizing for 'betraying the trust of her fans'.
3. A letter she wrote to family and friends where she admitted to them she used drugs. But the media never saw this letter and only know the contents based on communication with someone close to her.
4. Went on Oprah and did not say that she took drugs.

I want to see this 30-for-30 special. Her story is tragic but she is not a victim of 'people around her'. She continually surrounded herself with trouble (her choice), committed fraud, cheated and lied. Sounds like an offender to me - not a victim.

She has twisted her public words as much as possible to diminish the public image of her guilt as much as possible. Part of her deal with the Feds on the perjury and check charges she had to admit to USADA that she doped and be sanctioned.

May 11, 2009
Visit site
Race Radio said:
She has twisted her public words as much as possible to diminish the public image of her guilt as much as possible. Part of her deal with the Feds on the perjury and check charges she had to admit to USADA that she doped and be sanctioned.

Was her admission of guilt to the USADA public or a closed hearing?

This deny BS seems to work. I don't see that the public at large sees her as a doper/cheater. It seems the perception out there is that 'she got tangled up in the whole BALCO mess' and maybe it was 'Tim Montgomery who was guilty of doping'.

What a joke.

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
compete_clean said:
Was her admission of guilt to the USADA public or a closed hearing?

This deny BS seems to work. I don't see that the public at large sees her as a doper/cheater. It seems the perception out there is that 'she got tangled up in the whole BALCO mess' and maybe it was 'Tim Montgomery who was guilty of doping'.

What a joke.

She had to admit it publicly, but has been trying to spin it ever since. THG was the tip of the iceberg for Jones.
http://www.usada.org/files/active/resources/press_releases/Press Release - JONES - October 2007.pdf

Jones, 31, admitted to using a substance prohibited under the
rules of the International Association of Athletics Federations
(IAAF) and USADA, both of which have adopted the World Anti-
Doping Code and the World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA)
Prohibited List. Jones acknowledged using the prohibited
substance known as the ‘clear’ from September 2000 through
July 2001.

Jul 17, 2009
Visit site
Race Radio said:
As one of the people in the Documentary said, Jones knew 100% what she was doing, it was not others that forced her to dope. It was a nice PR piece about redemption but Jones did try to shift the blame to others. She has never been truthful, even in her confession.

She even tried to shift some of the blame for lying to Novitzky....so he showed her a bag of The Clear and asked her if she used it. That is not a reason to lie to a federal investigator.

People wonder why the BALCO case cost so much money, It is because people like Jones and Bonds lied to investigators causing the case to drag on for years.

One of the key points of the documentary that applies to the Armstrong case was the interview with Jone's lawyer. You will note that before she testified he told her very clearly "You DO NOT lie to the Feds" Armstrong, Hincapie, VDV, Hamilton, Spencer and others are getting the same advice from their lawyers.

thanks for taking all that time and energy to reiterate my point that there was no one around her to say NO.

Nov 24, 2010
Visit site
Race Radio said:

top post Race Radio - no bs, cut straight to the chase and no sympathy for the drama queen.

and regarding current investigations, your last paragraph is a key point. Apart from popo, it is quite possible no entities have lied to the feds. Marion's six months in the slammer serving as a persuasive reminder.

cheers dallas

A

Anonymous

And what do her and lance have in common?

she repeatedly defended herself when various partners were being done for doping, with the phrase "never tested positive for performance enhancing substances"

TRENDING THREADS