• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

ESPN = Idiots

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Sensitivities? "Racism?" IDK about some of the people at this site. Drudge had a joke line about Tondo's death, and I sent a two-word response, but it was just a "news of the weird" type thing. I think quite a few Americans just want cyclists off the road and their concern ends there. ---removed race based comment----. You can get somebody to make him recant if you have more pull than I expect (I never watch ESPN), but he wouldn't mean it. Oh, and watch out for twitter mobs, lololol.:eek:

Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
Berzin said:
You guys are taking this to left field.

My thoughts were an explanation as to why Michael Smith would think such a horrendous crash is so funny.

Here are two more anecdotes-

1) As a fifth grader, I'm riding my skateboard in front of my building (in the Bronx), and the concrete was still wet from rain. I slip off and fall right on my head in front of my friends. Blood everywhere. The howling from the laughter followed me right up to my doorstep.

2) Playing hockey in private school in 7th grade, I catch a puck right in the face. Again, more blood. A collective gasp was heard from everyone around, and no one laughed. I was actually helped off by opposing players and teammates alike.

The biggest difference between these two incidents was when I got back to school after the hockey puck accident, I was greeted with concern. After the skateboard incident, my friends in the 'hood kept laughing about it months later.

See the difference? I hope now you guys understand before calling my statements racist, which they are not.

Back on topic, because this thread isn't about me-I am an avid viewer of ESPN's "Around The Horn" and during the episode in question most of the panelists made derogatory comments about the Tour. They think cycling is a joke of a sport.

Similar comments were made on "Pardon The Interruption". ESPN doesn't care about cycling, so I'm not surprised comments like the ones Smith made are given free reign.

i didn't see anything racist in your post. to me it has more to do with education, socio-economic status and values, etc. than ethnicity. you should have seen this coming though. it really doesn't have anything to do with ethnicity. anyone who's been run off the road or had bottles thrown at them in redneck country knows this.

what i did think was that watching a cyclist fall down because he can't unclip is actually pretty funny--as long as they're not hurt. but for me that's the laugh of recognition because we've all been there. for them it's just...well, i don't know...dickheadedness?

the point is you can't compare falling down from not knowing how to unclip to getting hit by a car. would these people laugh if you got hit by a car? maybe some of them would.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
hfer07 said:
I'm honestly tired of American Journalists being "disrespectful" & "ignorant" with their poor & nasty commentaries on Sports "not practiced" or "not popular" in the USA-one thing is to lack the knowledge, but other is to lack it and comment equally to that level- perhaps because they think nobody here cares-so they can reach such vulgar levels of judgement & inaccuracy, to the point of even mocking at such reckless event like the one Hoogerland was part of on stage 10........
Well then stop reading the Globe.:D Seriously, I cant stand most of the sports media either. As I said upthread, I dont watch ESPN (well I do, but rarely). My point was that this crass, and yes, belligerent arrogance is not exclusive to American sports reporters.

I will admit however, that I live in a community, while regionally tied to the Broncos, Avalanche, and Rockies, is much more supportive of the so called second and third tier sports. Like alpine and nordic skiing, snowboarding, cycling (Mtn, road, DH, trials), kayaking, distance running, and pond hockey. In other words, I am not subject to the incessant fanboy sports media that you find in Boston.

Apr 29, 2010
Visit site
JRTinMA said:
It makes me think he was making fun of the driver more than anything when I read the twitter feed.

Yup.

Has anyone here ever checked out what constitutes entertainment and humor in the US media?

As long as those involved aren't killed, accidents, injuries, and crashes are considered humorous. Laughing at an accident is not the same as being glad it happened.

May 14, 2010
Visit site
Berzin said:
Let's add a cultural subtext to this.

Which you then succeed in doing, but not the one you think.

Smith is from New Orleans. I don't know if he grew up in the 'hood or not, but people in these neighborhoods tend to laugh when someone falls or is hit by something or someone.

Case in point-I'm riding my bike in Central Park
Wait, what happened to New Orleans?

and stop to get a drink of water at a fountain. This being my first road bike ever, I fall over in front of about 50 yuppies because I was still unaccustomed to clipping in and out of the pedals. No one laughs, and quite a few of them come over to see if I was OK.

Around the same period, I'm in the South Bronx coming over the bridge into Manhattan. Same thing happens-I stop at a red light, couldn't unclip in time and fall over. A carload of Latinos rounds the curve and pulls over for the express purpose of sticking their heads out (all four of them) and laughing as loud as they possibly could before driving off.
They were from New Orleans?

So there you have it.
Indeed.

Berzin said:
You guys are taking this to left field.

No, that's where it's coming from.

My thoughts were an explanation as to why Michael Smith would think such a horrendous crash is so funny.
That's a lot of thinking. You've explained a lot. More than most of us wanted to hear, I daresay.

Smith; Latinos; New Orleans; South Bronx. What do all these things have in common?

I'm pretty sure Smith makes well into six figures. He probably lives in a gated community or an exclusive building in the city. He's a minor (very) celebrity journalist and, for all I know, comes from a well to do background. He very likely has at least a four year degree (probably in journalism). So he doesn't have social class or economic status or educational background in common with the other things you've listed. The one thing common to all of them: skin color and minority status.

phanatic said:
Sensitivities? "Racism?" IDK about some of the people at this site. Drudge had a joke line about Tondo's death, and I sent a two-word response, but it was just a "news of the weird" type thing. I think quite a few Americans just want cyclists off the road and their concern ends there. As for racism, black man laughs at two white folk hit by car -- yep. You can get somebody to make him recant if you have more pull than I expect (I never watch ESPN), but he wouldn't mean it. Oh, and watch out for twitter mobs, lololol.:eek:

Good job, Berzin, [*edited by self*]. He wants to be your pal.

Mrs John Murphy said:
Is this any different to what Tony Kornheiser said about cycling?

"The last time I looked, the roads were made for automobiles...We're going to be dominated as if this was Beijing by hundreds of thousands of bicyclists...They all wear … my God … with the little water bottle in the back and the stupid hats and their shiny shorts. They are the same disgusting poseurs that in the middle of a snowstorm come out with cross-country skiing on your block. Run 'em down...Let them use the right, I’m okay with that. I don’t take my car and ride on the sidewalk because I understand that’s not for my car… Why do these people think that these roads were built for bicycles? ... They dare you to run them down.”
IMO it reflects the basic ESPN attitude towards cycling and cyclists.

I am pretty sure that he hasn't heard about Wouter Weylandt, nor about hundreds of cyclists who are killed and injured on the roads every year.

Would he have tweeted that he found that fan who fell out of the stands funny, or that guy who almost fell out of the stands? Of course not, different sport, different victims, different sponsors and advertisers.

There's a reason Tony Kornheiser is not an ESPN broadcaster for MNF anymore. He sucked at it.

As for ESPN, I would not expect much more from them. They don't have anyone who knows spit about cycling, professional OR recreational.

May 14, 2010
Visit site
phanatic said:
much too far over much too little. Wanting people to lose their jobs over stuff like this is despicable.

He doesn't have to lose his job. They should just make him take up cycling. Or better yet, put him on the cycling beat. Also, a little sincerity would be nice, in the apology department.

PS., phanatic, henceforth you are on my ignore list.

shalgo said:
Now an apology from Mr. Smith:

"I apologize for my insensitive remarks re: the TdF crash. I recognize my comments were inappropriate given the serious nature of the crash."
2 minutes ago via TweetCaster for Android
http://twitter.com/#!/MrMichael_Smith

it does not make the cut to me- It looks like he got a call from the network about the complains and was "asked" to put it to rest by posting an apology...

after all-and regardless of what has happened so far- I bet the imbecile still laughs at the video....:(

Maxiton said:
He doesn't have to lose his job. They should just make him take up cycling. Or better yet, put him on the cycling beat. Also, a little sincerity would be nice, in the apology department.

PS., phanatic, henceforth you are on my ignore list.

Oh well. But I think Maxiton provides a perfect example of the despicable I was mentioning. He wants to treat Smith as you would a child. Apologize! Say it like you mean it! Here's a learning experience, so that you will think and feel as I do, correctly. Really, I'd beg anyone to end this heresy hunting over callous remarks. It's all just puritanical, petty tyranny. It makes life worse for everybody. Besides, a formal apology is better than a heart-felt one, since feelings are changeable.

A

Anonymous

I commute by bike 20 miles round trip to school. I do it for several reasons. First, I am a freaking hippie and I believe that less exhaust from a tailpipe is a great thing, and that any amount I am able to reduce from the total volume is important. Secondly, I do it because I am so busy with school and family that I just don't have much time to ride outside of that as law school is as difficult and time consuming as it is made out to be...and then some. That ride brings health to my body every pedal stroke. Lastly, the hour+ (depending on lights and traffic) of time I get alone with pedals turning, and the rest of the world outside of my breathing and attention to what is happening around me irrelevant is like meditation to me. I live for the peace and contentment I feel during my ride time. As a person who is ADD, pretty intense when it comes to most things, and certainly serious about school, that time is a gift that gives me time to just be. Yea, I am carrying 30 pounds of law books and computer on my back, and certainly there is some pain involved, but it clears me up, focuses me, and makes me feel like I am earning life in some small part.

Mr. Michael Smith just made that time more dangerous for me. That is the offense I take in his ignorant words. He will never understand that. He will never understand how adding another drop into the animus against cyclists endangers my life. He is more interested in laughing at things that are not funny. His apology is hollow, and his attitude is unchanged. I wrote ESPN, and to anyone who hasn't, I implore you to do the same. For me, and for you. We both deserve to be able to ride in greater safety and peace.

Thoughtforfood said:
Mr. Michael Smith just made that time more dangerous for me. That is the offense I take in his ignorant words. He will never understand that. He will never understand how adding another drop into the animus against cyclists endangers my life. He is more interested in laughing at things that are not funny.

Self-pity 101. Am I being trolled here, or trolled by reality? :confused:

Thoughtforfood said:
I commute by bike 20 miles round trip to school. I do it for several reasons. First, I am a freaking hippie and I believe that less exhaust from a tailpipe is a great thing, and that any amount I am able to reduce from the total volume is important. Secondly, I do it because I am so busy with school and family that I just don't have much time to ride outside of that as law school is as difficult and time consuming as it is made out to be...and then some. That ride brings health to my body every pedal stroke. Lastly, the hour+ (depending on lights and traffic) of time I get alone with pedals turning, and the rest of the world outside of my breathing and attention to what is happening around me irrelevant is like meditation to me. I live for the peace and contentment I feel during my ride time. As a person who is ADD, pretty intense when it comes to most things, and certainly serious about school, that time is a gift that gives me time to just be. Yea, I am carrying 30 pounds of law books and computer on my back, and certainly there is some pain involved, but it clears me up, focuses me, and makes me feel like I am earning life in some small part.

Mr. Michael Smith just made that time more dangerous for me. That is the offense I take in his ignorant words. He will never understand that. He will never understand how adding another drop into the animus against cyclists endangers my life. He is more interested in laughing at things that are not funny. His apology is hollow, and his attitude is unchanged. I wrote ESPN, and to anyone who hasn't, I implore you to do the same. For me, and for you. We both deserve to be able to ride in greater safety and peace.

+100000 thanks

phanatic said:
Self-pity 101. Am I being trolled here, or trolled by reality? :confused:

Pretty sure you're in the minority here, phanatic.

Narrative is a powerful thing, and those 100,000 Twitter followers now have an extra kernel of negativity (not to mention another little voice suggesting that cyclists aren't real people) toward those of us who ride.

You don't have to agree or like it, but narrative owns you, too. You're acting in support of the structures that inform you now, even while reacting to what you're reading. The next motorist who encounters you trying to turn left or merge on your bike may be informed by Smith's narrative, where you're less person and more object. Cars **** objects UP, man. I know, b/c I've been there twice. ;)

A

Anonymous

mr. tibbs said:
Pretty sure you're in the minority here, phanatic.

Narrative is a powerful thing, and those 100,000 Twitter followers now have an extra kernel of negativity (not to mention another little voice suggesting that cyclists aren't real people) toward those of us who ride.

You don't have to agree or like it, but narrative owns you, too. You're acting in support of the structures that inform you now, even while reacting to what you're reading. The next motorist who encounters you trying to turn left or merge on your bike may be informed by Smith's narrative, where you're less person and more object. Cars **** objects UP, man. I know, b/c I've been there twice. ;)

I don't think he rides a bike.

A

Anonymous

mewmewmew13 said:
There is something about your replies that sound familiar, phanatic.
...and why would you bring up the t-word...;)

I was thinking the same thing. Ignore and report.

Sep 27, 2010
Visit site
I have ESPN insider and get their magazine. I wrote them and told them that unless he is held accountable I would cancel my subscription, boycott their advertisers and discontinue watching ESPN, ABC and anything Disney. We will see if they choose to do the right thing.

I tried to put myself in this guy's spot, I read his tweets numerous times, I cant make sense of how this is funny, sorry.

Sep 27, 2010
Visit site
Maxiton said:
So how do we find out who sponsors this guy's show? My rudimentary Google searching didn't turn up much.

That show is unwatchable to begin with, im not going to volunteer. I guess you could TiVo the show and FFW to the commercials, then contact the individual advertisers.