• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Ethan Hayter discussion thread

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Hayter and Pidcock are a similar riders. Trouble in the Ineos camp next year?

I suppose they both want to target the same races: Strade, Flanders, Amstel, Liege and some of the smaller stage races.

And add in Ben Tullett in a year or two. Ineos have a seriously good classics squad. Maybe they'll play multiple options like Quickstep rather than Jumbo and Alpecin.

To summarise the CN front page article - Ethan is happy to come 8th in the Worlds ITT since the course doesn't suit him and is longer than anything he's done before.
"I thought a top 10 would be really nice today so I'm very happy with that ride," Hayter said after finishing the race. "It's great to see Filippo has won, too. It's amazing.

"I would have preferred some climbs, obviously, being smaller than those guys. I prefer to punch over some climbs, being a bit more of a sprinter and track rider. Today I wasn't at 100 per cent, but sometimes that's good not to be super fresh for a time trial.

"I'm very happy with today. I could have improved in a few sections and obviously I didn't get to do a massive amount of time trial training in the end but I'm happy."

He hasn't looked at the World road race course yet.
"I've not actually looked at the course, to be honest," he said. "I've been so busy going to races. Now I have a whole week to do that."

For the rest of the season, he plans to ride the Italian autumn classics rather than aim for Paris-Roubaix, followed by the British National Championships, and possibly followed by the track World Championships - if the UK get an invite (they skipped qualifying events for some unknown reason).
"I think it's more likely that I go to Italy and do some one-day races there," Hayter said about his upcoming schedule. "I don't personally feel ready for Roubaix. You've got to be fully committed and at the moment I'm not sure. At the moment I'm going to Italy, and I really enjoy racing there."

Last edited:
Isn't this type of stage a little too hard for him at the moment?
Up and down all day and more than 3000mt of climbing overall.
Yep, he wouldn't be on for a stage like today, he's more a classics rider who can climb a bit like wout and ala. Will watch it later, but I'd imagine he worked early doors. His big objectives begin next week, so he'll already begin easing back for the taper I'd think. Flanders I'm sure is a big peak for him, not Coppi.
Okay - happy to withdraw. I pegged Ulissi (who was only 25 seconds down) as a good comparison.

Reactions: Sandisfan
I've said it before in one of the race threads, but i think Hayter has to be very annoying/frustrating to work for as a teammate. Dangling at the back, caught behind crashes, dropped behind gaps, moving up late and wasting energy at money time...
Agreed, and also I have hardly ever see him return the favor. If he is a domestique he usually gets dropped before he was of any use.

TRENDING THREADS