• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Etixx-QuickStep power struggle

Thought about posting this in transfers, but it could be important for 2016.

There are two camps: Patrick Lefevre, and presumably the Belgians and the DSs from the previous incarnations of the team, such as Tom Steels, Rik van Slycke, Wilfried Peeters and Davide Bramati. The other camp is Cavendish and his former T-Mobile/HTC colleagues, for whom we can read Aldag, Holm, Jan Schaffrath, Tony Martin, and Mark Renshaw.

Cavendish has been under pressure for his contract for the whole of this season, and during this Tour, Lefevre is adding to the pressure by having Peeters as the lead DS instead of Aldag. Cavendish does not get on well with Peeters, as we heard in KBK for instance, whereas Aldag and Holm were the driving force of his golden era at HTC. Lefevre reportedly wants Modolo from Lampre, or at least spoke to his agent at the Giro. He hasn't yet started contract negotiations with Cavendish.

If Cavendish leaves EQS, MTN are amongst the favourites to sign him, and Cavendish could bring them sponsorship and his riders and staff.

Jul 27, 2014
Visit site
Cav wants a leadout train if we're honest. He'll want to stay at Etixx, and yes, he doesn't get on with Peeters because it sounds like Peeters thinks Cavendish is just a worse kittel, when he is much much more. Cavs climbing ability is underestimated by basically everybody. And I think he would hold up well in some semi classics. Obviously this is just my opinion.

However, if Cav leaves, he wouldn't drop out of wt. And her go to somewhere with a leadout. If kittel leaves giant who knows, he might even go there.

Re:

Happy dude said:
Cav wants a leadout train if we're honest. He'll want to stay at Etixx, and yes, he doesn't get on with Peeters because it sounds like Peeters thinks Cavendish is just a worse kittel, when he is much much more. Cavs climbing ability is underestimated by basically everybody. And I think he would hold up well in some semi classics. Obviously this is just my opinion.

However, if Cav leaves, he wouldn't drop out of wt. And her go to somewhere with a leadout. If kittel leaves giant who knows, he might even go there.

He's certainly missing Gent-Wevelgem as a classic that can be won by sprinters.

Re:

Happy dude said:
He says he is happy with a paycut. If Cav wins 2 more stages, he's still the main source of Etixx tdf success

Unrealistic expectation. He *can* win stage 15 but it couldn't be more suited to a breakaway and the cat 2 climb could see him distanced by eg Sagan and Degenkolb. He won an even less suitable stage in, I think, 09, but that was obviously a different era of sprinters and a different level of Cavendish's ability.

Jul 27, 2014
Visit site
Re: Re:

TMP402 said:
Happy dude said:
He says he is happy with a paycut. If Cav wins 2 more stages, he's still the main source of Etixx tdf success

Unrealistic expectation. He *can* win stage 15 but it couldn't be more suited to a breakaway and the cat 2 climb could see him distanced by eg Sagan and Degenkolb. He won an even less suitable stage in, I think, 09, but that was obviously a different era of sprinters and a different level of Cavendish's ability.
Obviously not as high quality but he won a stage over a cat 1 climb in Turkey. Unfortunately for Cavendish, 2 stages is seen as unsuccesful for him, when really it isn't. Only kittel would have a chance at winning more in this years tour and then I still don't think he would have done. Stage 2 Kittel would have been distanced, and in the crosswinds on stage 5 he probably could have been. He wouldn't have won today because it was uphill, that only leaves the champs Elysées for kittel.

Where ever Cavendish goes there is dissension. That is the kind of person he is
I remember while at SKY and on the 2012 Tour he was bessie mates with Wiggo , who lead him out in Paris while texting Froome to go for it and take the race lead

Looks like MTN want him and EQS don;t . But EQS will have to play Oleg alot of money for Sagan's contract unless he lets him go cheap(ish)

TMP402 said:

There are two camps: Patrick Lefevre, and presumably the Belgians and the DSs from the previous incarnations of the team, such as Tom Steels, Rik van Slycke, Wilfried Peeters and Davide Bramati. The other camp is Cavendish and his former T-Mobile/HTC colleagues, for whom we can read Aldag, Holm, Jan Schaffrath, Tony Martin, and Mark Renshaw.

Cavendish has been under pressure for his contract for the whole of this season, and during this Tour, Lefevre is adding to the pressure by having Peeters as the lead DS instead of Aldag. Cavendish does not get on well with Peeters, as we heard in KBK for instance, whereas Aldag and Holm were the driving force of his golden era at HTC. Lefevre reportedly wants Modolo from Lampre, or at least spoke to his agent at the Giro. He hasn't yet started contract negotiations with Cavendish.

If Cavendish leaves EQS, MTN are amongst the favourites to sign him, and Cavendish could bring them sponsorship and his riders and staff.

Can MTN afford Cav and his leadout train?

PremierAndrew said:
TMP402 said:

Can MTN afford Cav and his leadout train?

Cav brings sponsors to MTN so he pays for himself in a sense.

Happy dude said:
TMP402 said:
Happy dude said:

Obviously not as high quality but he won a stage over a cat 1 climb in Turkey. Unfortunately for Cavendish, 2 stages is seen as unsuccesful for him, when really it isn't. Only kittel would have a chance at winning more in this years tour and then I still don't think he would have done. Stage 2 Kittel would have been distanced, and in the crosswinds on stage 5 he probably could have been. He wouldn't have won today because it was uphill, that only leaves the champs Elysées for kittel.

Of course ironically if Cavendish had won stage 2, he could have won stage 4 as well. If he was still totally dominant there were 6 stages for him this year.

Jul 8, 2015
Visit site
Cav becoming less of a drag sprinter and more versatile. Doesn't quite have the top end of his prime; that is why he has struggled to beat Kittel and this year, Greipel. I think that as he gets older, he's becoming a different type of rider. My suspicion is that we will see him in more of those semi-classics, racing the way he did at the British championships this year. Ultimately, he could re-invent himself as a rich man's Kristoff or Degenkolb. Still competitive in bunch sprints, but also a threat on more varied terrains.

He'll stay at Ettixx- they have more classics talent than any team in the world and could provide him with the support he needs to win MSR again, or Ghent-Wevelgem. The only thing that may push him to a team like MTN is if his interests start to seriously overlap with riders like Stybar and Terpstra (and if he recovers, even Boonen).

Happy dude said:
TMP402 said:
Happy dude said:

Andlre Greipel was raceing there that day and he got distanced on it if I remember rightly.

Another thing is that a Cat 1 in Turkey is probably a Cat 2 or even 3 at the Tour.

Was Cav still in the front group on stage 4 at the time of Martin's attack? If he hadnt attacked, would cav been able to win?

Jul 27, 2014
Visit site

lemon cheese cake said:
Happy dude said:
TMP402 said:
Happy dude said:

Andlre Greipel was raceing there that day and he got distanced on it if I remember rightly.

Another thing is that a Cat 1 in Turkey is probably a Cat 2 or even 3 at the Tour.

Was Cav still in the front group on stage 4 at the time of Martin's attack? If he hadnt attacked, would cav been able to win?
Yes he was, but he didn't sprint for the win, so I'm not sure

Cav probably is still one of the top 3 sprinters in terms of top speed (at least this season) so I don't really understand Etixx. However I also think that he should start to focus on semi-classics because he was clearly stronger some years ago and I expect him to get worse in the future.

lemon cheese cake said:
Happy dude said:
TMP402 said:
Happy dude said:

I'd guess he could. The competition was Sagan, Degenkolb, Bouhanni, Coquard, EBH, GVA, Guarnieri and Gallopin, but unlike them he would have theoretically had Uran, Vermote, Martin and Stybar to lead him out.

TRENDING THREADS